cannot telnet to SMTP port 25

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi,

I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
server. However, I always get this error,

C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on port
25 :
Connect failed

I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing something.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

WY
17 answers Last reply
More about cannot telnet smtp port
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Is the server set up to accept Telnet connections? Is a firewall blocking
    the connection either locally or at the server end?

    "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c8d57c@news.starhub.net.sg...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    > server. However, I always get this error,
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    > Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on
    > port 25 :
    > Connect failed
    >
    > I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    > tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing
    > something.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > WY

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Hi,

    There is no firewall on both ends and I can telnet into web01 from other
    servers. I can telnet to web01 port 21 but just not port 25!

    This is driving me mad!!! :)

    > Is the server set up to accept Telnet connections? Is a firewall blocking
    > the connection either locally or at the server end?

    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >

    > "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c8d57c@news.starhub.net.sg...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    >> server. However, I always get this error,
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    >> Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on
    >> port 25 :
    >> Connect failed
    >>
    >> I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    >> tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing
    >> something.
    >>
    >> Can someone enlighten me?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >>
    >> WY

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    That server is obviously set up to not allow telnet connections.

    -Frank

    "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c90bd9$1@news.starhub.net.sg...
    > Hi,
    >
    > There is no firewall on both ends and I can telnet into web01 from other
    > servers. I can telnet to web01 port 21 but just not port 25!
    >
    > This is driving me mad!!! :)
    >

    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Is the server set up to accept Telnet connections? Is a firewall
    >> blocking the connection either locally or at the server end?
    >>
    >> --
    >> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >>

    >> "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c8d57c@news.starhub.net.sg...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    >>> server. However, I always get this error,
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    >>> Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on
    >>> port 25 :
    >>> Connect failed
    >>>
    >>> I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    >>> tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing
    >>> something.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone enlighten me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards,
    >>>
    >>> WY

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in news:42c90bd9$1@news.starhub.net.sg:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There is no firewall on both ends and I can telnet into web01 from other
    > servers. I can telnet to web01 port 21 but just not port 25!
    >
    > This is driving me mad!!! :)

    Maybe your ISP has blocked port 25 (other than to their own SMTP servers)and
    you haven't been notified?

    -lyj

    Hi

    Forgive me if this is a stupid question i assume what you state as
    web01 is the same machine as the IP you state in first post

    can you make a telnet connection , port 23 to that server? not an ftp
    connection you can telnet to ftp server but you need to speak FTP!

    is there a service running on port 25? cus it dont look like it

    let us know

    --
    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    pscyime wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Forgive me if this is a stupid question i assume what you state as
    > web01 is the same machine as the IP you state in first post
    >
    > can you make a telnet connection , port 23 to that server? not an ftp
    > connection you can telnet to ftp server but you need to speak FTP!
    >
    > is there a service running on port 25? cus it dont look like it
    >
    > let us know

    There are a number of utility programs around that let you watch
    activity on a TCP connection. IIRC, "TCPSTAT" is one. And Win2K has a
    built in "Net stat" (CMD box) program. Fire up one of these loggers,
    attempt your telnet connection to the SMTP (or POP, or SMTP, ...) server
    on a remote system. Then analyze the results.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    hi

    indeed there are numerous utils that will allow you to monitor a
    connection however not sure how that is relevant if you cant make the
    connection in the first place, as far as i know all you will get is a
    syn_sent message from netstat and all this shows is you are
    "attempting" to make the connection which we already know he is trying
    to do!!

    anyway i was responding to the poster problem in asking if a service is
    running on that port also if he can telnet to port 23 this wll confirm
    whether the server accepts vanilla telnet connections

    regards

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    pscyime wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > indeed there are numerous utils that will allow you to monitor a
    > connection however not sure how that is relevant if you cant make the
    > connection in the first place, as far as i know all you will get is a
    > syn_sent message from netstat and all this shows is you are
    > "attempting" to make the connection which we already know he is trying
    > to do!!

    If a SYN goes out and nothing comes back, that's one thing. If a SYN is
    sent and an ACK comes back, that's another. If a SYN-ACK is returnd,
    that's something else. If only an ACK is return, that still another.
    If nothing comes back and a timeout happens, that's still another
    situation. Without this info, we can't do more than guess at the problem.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Hi,

    Forgot to mention that this is a domain environment in our data center. I
    can telnet into port 25 of web01 from other servers but not from this one.

    Therefore, the server do accept telnet unless there is a setting on the
    server that specificallt disallow telnet from this Windows 2000 Pro machine.

    Thanks.

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > That server is obviously set up to not allow telnet connections.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c90bd9$1@news.starhub.net.sg...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> There is no firewall on both ends and I can telnet into web01 from other
    >> servers. I can telnet to web01 port 21 but just not port 25!
    >>
    >> This is driving me mad!!! :)
    >>

    >> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is the server set up to accept Telnet connections? Is a firewall
    >>> blocking the connection either locally or at the server end?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    >>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    >>> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >>> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:20:46 +0800, tete wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Forgot to mention that this is a domain environment in our data center. I
    > can telnet into port 25 of web01 from other servers but not from this one.
    >
    > Therefore, the server do accept telnet unless there is a setting on the
    > server that specificallt disallow telnet from this Windows 2000 Pro machine.
    >
    > Thanks.

    How would we know that? It's your server. We do not know its settings.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
    > "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in news:42c90bd9$1@news.starhub.net.sg:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> There is no firewall on both ends and I can telnet into web01 from other
    >> servers. I can telnet to web01 port 21 but just not port 25!
    >>
    >> This is driving me mad!!! :)
    >

    > Maybe your ISP has blocked port 25 (other than to their own SMTP
    > servers)and
    > you haven't been notified?
    >

    > -lyj

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the reply. Port 25 is definitely working in web01. Telnet to
    Port 23 does not work either. But as mentioned, I can telnet into port 25 of
    web01 using other machines but not this one or those newer ones. No firewall
    between the machines, just a domain environment.

    I have seen user post saying "telnet services has been block." I do not know
    what does this means and I donot even know that telnet services can be
    block!

    Thanks in advance.

    Best Regards,

    WY

    "pscyime" <pscyime.1ro0da@> wrote in message

    > hi
    >
    > indeed there are numerous utils that will allow you to monitor a
    > connection however not sure how that is relevant if you cant make the
    > connection in the first place, as far as i know all you will get is a
    > syn_sent message from netstat and all this shows is you are
    > "attempting" to make the connection which we already know he is trying
    > to do!!
    >
    > anyway i was responding to the poster problem in asking if a service is
    > running on that port also if he can telnet to port 23 this wll confirm
    > whether the server accepts vanilla telnet connections
    >
    > regards

    > pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Ports don't "self-exist". If there is no SMTP Service, then there is no
    "port" to connect to. For that matter you can't "connect to a port" to
    begin with,...you have to connect to a Service that is "listening" on a
    particular port.

    --
    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

    "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c8d57c@news.starhub.net.sg...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    > server. However, I always get this error,
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    > Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on
    port
    > 25 :
    > Connect failed
    >
    > I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    > tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing
    something.

    > Can someone enlighten me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > WY

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Never mind.
    I misunderstood what you were describing.

    --

    "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
    > Ports don't "self-exist". If there is no SMTP Service, then there is no
    > "port" to connect to. For that matter you can't "connect to a port" to
    > begin with,...you have to connect to a Service that is "listening" on a
    > particular port.
    >

    > --
    > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    > www.wandtv.com
    > Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    > http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html
    >
    > Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp
    >
    > Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    > http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp
    >

    > "sdf" <sdf@ASD.DD> wrote in message news:42c8d57c@news.starhub.net.sg...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    > > server. However, I always get this error,
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    > > Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on
    > port
    > > 25 :
    > > Connect failed
    > >
    > > I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    > > tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing
    > something.
    > >
    > > Can someone enlighten me?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Best Regards,
    > >
    > > WY

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    hi

    can you connect to you Win 2k machine from the server ie the opposite
    way you from what you are doing now?(start the telnet service on your
    2kpro unit, tunr it off when you are done - this is important for
    security.enable telnet service by running services.msc and starting the
    telnet service) with any anything ping,file and printer sharing, etc can
    you tracert to the server from your client 2kpro machine , does the
    connection get there or time out at some point on route

    if there server is in a remote location rdp to it then open a telnet
    session and try to connect to your 2kpro box(once you ave started the
    service)

    telnet services being disabled/blocked is not relevant as you can make
    telnet connections to the server from other servers so that is a moot
    point

    worst case scenario do a network trace whilst trying to connect to the
    server

    regards

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Are you running McAfee VirusScan 8.0i on the windows 2000 professional
    machine? If so, 8.0i blocks outbound access on a few ports by default,
    including port 25.

    You can test for this by dropping to a command prompt and typing:
    c:\>net stop "Network Associates McShield"
    then attempting to telnet to port 25 on the destination.

    If this lets you telnet out, then the port blocking is your problem!

    This can be disabled for port 25 on this machine by going to the virusscan
    console, right-clicking 'access protection', unchecking the box 'prevent mass
    mailing worms from sending email' and then exiting ...

    Be aware that this setting may be overridden by ePolicy Orchestrator if your
    network uses it

    --
    Regards,
    Will Mays

    "sdf" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    > server. However, I always get this error,
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    > Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on port
    > 25 :
    > Connect failed
    >
    > I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    > tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing something.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > WY

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Yup. You are dead right. McAfee VirusScan 8.0i is causing all these.
    Thanks a lot for everyone!!!

    Will Mays (s-p-a-m) wrote:
    > Are you running McAfee VirusScan 8.0i on the windows 2000 professional
    > machine? If so, 8.0i blocks outbound access on a few ports by default,
    > including port 25.
    >
    > You can test for this by dropping to a command prompt and typing:
    > c:\>net stop "Network Associates McShield"
    > then attempting to telnet to port 25 on the destination.
    >
    > If this lets you telnet out, then the port blocking is your problem!
    >
    > This can be disabled for port 25 on this machine by going to the virusscan
    > console, right-clicking 'access protection', unchecking the box 'prevent mass
    > mailing worms from sending email' and then exiting ...
    >
    > Be aware that this setting may be overridden by ePolicy Orchestrator if your
    > network uses it
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Will Mays
    >

    > "sdf" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to telnet from my Win2000 Professioanl to port 25 of a SMTP
    > > server. However, I always get this error,
    > >
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\SIF003Admin>telnet 202.172.xxx.xxx 25
    > > Connecting To 202.172.xxx.xxx...Could not open a connection to host on port
    > > 25 :
    > > Connect failed
    > >
    > > I have no SMTP or IIS installed in the Windows 2000 Professional. I did
    > > tried that but it won't work either. I believe I must be missing something.
    > >
    > > Can someone enlighten me?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Best Regards,
    > >
    > > WY