Why column settings in WinExplorer details view are NOT sa..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 4, 2005 12:53:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've done the following:
- I switch unter Win2000 (incl.SP4) to the details view of the files in Windows Explorer,
- the removed the "type" column (by right clicking on the header and disabling the column),
- change some column width
- and finally saved this settings (of the current folder) by clicking on the button in menu
tools->folder options...->View->Like current folder

Everything is fine - for the current session.

However if I reboot the old default settings are valid again.

How do I really change permanently the winExplorer settings?

Is there a way of directly editing the registry for these options?

In Windows Prof XP I have a similar problem

Paul
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:53:17 PM

If you use TweakUI, delete the Keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000: http://kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/bags8000.reg Download and run this reg file to make
the view settings remember more than XP'x default 400 folders.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Paul Barasoa" <baras@arcor.com> wrote in message news:42c8f8fb$0$10804$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
> I've done the following:
> - I switch unter Win2000 (incl.SP4) to the details view of the files in Windows Explorer,
> - the removed the "type" column (by right clicking on the header and disabling the column),
> - change some column width
> - and finally saved this settings (of the current folder) by clicking on the button in menu
> tools->folder options...->View->Like current folder
>
> Everything is fine - for the current session.
>
> However if I reboot the old default settings are valid again.
>
> How do I really change permanently the winExplorer settings?
>
> Is there a way of directly editing the registry for these options?
>
> In Windows Prof XP I have a similar problem
>
> Paul

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:29:43 PM

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> If you use TweakUI, delete the Keys:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU and
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
>
> Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000:
> http://kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/bags8000.reg Download and run this
> reg file to make the view settings remember more than XP'x default 400
> folders.

Hey does that work for W9x too :)

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm "Paul Barasoa"
> <baras@arcor.com> wrote in message
>> I've done the following:
>> - I switch unter Win2000 (incl.SP4) to the details view of the files in
>> Windows Explorer,
>> - the removed the "type" column (by right clicking on the header and
>> disabling the column),
>> - change some column width
>> - and finally saved this settings (of the current folder) by clicking on
>> the button in menu tools->folder options...->View->Like current folder
>>
>> Everything is fine - for the current session.
>>
>> However if I reboot the old default settings are valid again.
>>
>> How do I really change permanently the winExplorer settings?
>>
>> Is there a way of directly editing the registry for these options?
>>
>> In Windows Prof XP I have a similar problem
>>
>> Paul
July 4, 2005 3:06:45 PM

04 Jul 2005 08:53:16 GMT, Paul Barasoa schrob:

> I've done the following:
> - I switch unter Win2000 (incl.SP4) to the details view of the files in Windows Explorer,
> - the removed the "type" column (by right clicking on the header and disabling the column),
> - change some column width
> - and finally saved this settings (of the current folder) by clicking on the button in menu
> tools->folder options...->View->Like current folder
>
> Everything is fine - for the current session.
>
> However if I reboot the old default settings are valid again.
>
> How do I really change permanently the winExplorer settings?
>
> Is there a way of directly editing the registry for these options?
>
> In Windows Prof XP I have a similar problem
>
> Paul

When I want to change an Explorer setting, it never saves it if I do
something else before, like showing the status bar or changing the window
size. So try it by opening Explorer, changing the setting, storing it, and
finally closing the window again.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

For XP see line 2: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Paul Barasoa" <baras@arcor.com> wrote in message
> I've done the following:
> - I switch unter Win2000 (incl.SP4) to the details view of the files in
> Windows Explorer,
> - the removed the "type" column (by right clicking on the header and
> disabling the column),
> - change some column width
> - and finally saved this settings (of the current folder) by clicking on
> the button in menu
> tools->folder options...->View->Like current folder
>
> Everything is fine - for the current session.
>
> However if I reboot the old default settings are valid again.
>
> How do I really change permanently the winExplorer settings?
>
> Is there a way of directly editing the registry for these options?
>
> In Windows Prof XP I have a similar problem
>
> Paul

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:15:25 PM

I'm not sure if this would solve your problem, but you could try this.
Download TweakUI from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...

This is an official Mircrosoft program, so it is sure not to mess
things up for you. Install the program (and don't worry, it never runs
in the background or anything, it just changes registry settings for
you, so you don't have to go mucking around in the registry manually.)
After opening it, you can mess around with loads of settings for the
windows explorer, and although I haven't looked myself, I am willing to
bet that you could find an option for what to display. I don't know if
this works for windows 2000, but I think there is a similar program for
2000 that you could find on microsoft.com. Just search for powertoys.
Cheers
!