Help with Gigabyte's New F8 BIOS version for DQ6 Mobo

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Help with Gigabyte's New F8 BIOS version for DQ6 Mobo
Hi Y'all, Well I downloaded the
New F8 BIOS for the Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 Mobo. <=--Cleeek here to Download it at your own Risk!!!

:evil:
**edited & updated**
Gigabyte's response to this Post is as follows verbatim, (this must be a prefabbed response by someone over there tired of typing the same response after their 1st time typing it up).

Gigabyte's response to this post as of 01-08-2007:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Answer - 430790
Hi.
Unfortunately any results from overclocking will not be guaranatee, any issue leaving and running it at default specs?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:( Anyone else come across these issues described below after upgrading to the F8 BIOS?

I had been using the F7 revision without any problems & OC'ing it at 3.4Ghz.

I upgraded to it, let it reboot with the Default Optimum settings as they recommend in their upgrade instructions & all was fine.
Then I decided to apply the same OC'ing settings I had when using the F7 version.
8O Now, the system just gets stuck in a reboot cycle if it boots up getting past the POST at all.

...later that sameday...
after clearing the CMOS with the motherboard jumper for the 10th time I tried again and again and again...

At other times it boots up, but it won't give me any display output at all. However it will still boot. I know this cuz I can shut my system down remotely from my other PC once I wait about 3-4 minutes.
For the heck of it I went back to the F7 BIOS version & all was well again. I reflashed from within the BIOS setup & still the same old S.H.I.T.

WTF??? 8O

H-E-L-P??? Thanx.

PS: I'm still waiting on a more realistic response worth my $265 USD which I paid for this mobo from Gigabyte's Tech support about this.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
My gut feeling tells me it was to reduce 'failure' (cough) rates.

The board is quite popular.

They won't disclose this when asked about it though for obvious reasons.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My gut feeling tells me it was to reduce 'failure' (cough) rates.

The board is quite popular.

They won't disclose this when asked about it though for obvious reasons.

I'm surprised the ASUS logo isn't all over this with the new version.

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I haven't had any problems with the new bios yet. I have an E6700 and am only running a 3.2ghz overclock since well.. im not currently using anything to make me up it back to what I used to have it at. Still, I havent had any post issues so far with the F8.

The odd thing that has happened to me under almost every bios version is that no matter what my O/C setting is, the system is completely stable, i mean 24 hour prime test, etc. I power down, etc and sometime, randomly it just wont get past post until it resets everything to the defaults. It's an odd thing, since all of the parts are quality, they have all passed every test I've thrown at them. I just wonder if it is a quirky motherboard in general.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I haven't had any problems with the new bios yet. I have an E6700 and am only running a 3.2ghz overclock since well.. im not currently using anything to make me up it back to what I used to have it at. Still, I havent had any post issues so far with the F8.

The odd thing that has happened to me under almost every bios version is that no matter what my O/C setting is, the system is completely stable, i mean 24 hour prime test, etc. I power down, etc and sometime, randomly it just wont get past post until it resets everything to the defaults. It's an odd thing, since all of the parts are quality, they have all passed every test I've thrown at them. I just wonder if it is a quirky motherboard in general.

You're a lucky one or both myself & my pal are jinxed. I just came from trying the new BIOS over at my pals' place. The only differences between my system & his are that he's using dual channel 2GB of CORSAIR DDR2-800 RAM, NVIDIA 7800 card whereas my PC is using dual channel 2GB of OCZ DDR2-800 RAM & a ATI X1900 256MB card, same motherboard, HSF, case, PSU, & hard drives. I bought my mobo online & he got his locally. Both are labeled version 1.0 on the mobo's edge.

Now his system won't boot either if he tries to do a simple OC like going up to 2.5Ghz. Also, now his system will get stuck once the system finds a CD or DVD in his drive if the DVD drive he has (a Pioneer DVR-108 16x Burner) is set to be the first boot device in the BIOS. If the DVD is removed the system boots up. Keep in mind that the systems are only booting up if we do not attempt any OCing.
I tried the same thing on mine, except I have a newer model of his drive which is the PIONEER DVR-111D, running their latest firmware, and I am seeing the same thing when it comes to setting up the DVD burner as the first boot device. W-H-A-T Gives???

8O ** edit **
I went back to BIOS version F7 & the same thing when a CD/DVD is in the drive happens with this version as well, but not with F6. ERRR????

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I can't change the FSB with the F8 BIOS, but can with the F7. It won't POST if I change the FSB while running F8
What the hell
I noticed that, too. ERRRRR??? What the hell is the matter with 'em? How are we supposed to OC now??? :evil:
I think maybe they screwed up with this new version during the code compilation in the bathroom or when the programmer spilled coffee on his keyboard when he tried to hide the Vida Guerra pic on his desktop from his boss? 8O

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I can't change the FSB with the F8 BIOS, but can with the F7. It won't POST if I change the FSB while running F8
What the hell
I noticed that, too. ERRRRR??? What the hell is the matter with 'em? How are we supposed to OC now??? :evil:
I think maybe they screwed up with this new version during the code compilation in the bathroom or when the programmer spilled coffee on his keyboard when he tried to hide the Vida Guerra pic on his desktop from his boss? 8O

They changed the way the BIOS handles the FSB in orer to support FSB 1133, but, in doing so, apparently made many other FSB values invalid. If I had to guess, I would guess that the maxumum value is a number too large to fit in the variable they're using (like trying to put the value 256 (100 hex) in a one byte field (max size FF hex) So, they probably cooked some multiplier in to the BIOS code to allow numbers larger than the original coders designed it for. So, when you change the FSB, the number you input goes against this secret multipler and comes out unusable.

That's my guess, anyway.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
In my quest for an answer regarding this from Gigabyte their response to this Post is as follows verbatim:
"Answer - 430790
Hi.
Unfortunately any results from overclocking will not be guaranatee, any issue leaving and running it at default specs?"

This type of s.h.i.t. just burns me. :x

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I sent them this email. They haven't responded yet:

After upgrading from the F7 BIOS to the F8 BIOS, I am unable to change the Front Side Bus speed. The machine won't even POST.

With the F7, F6, and F5 BIOS, I changed the processor multiplier from 9 to 8, and set the FSB to 400, the memory multiplier to 2. This allowed my E6600 to run stable at 3.2GHz.

After installing the F8 BIOS, any change to the FSB frequency causes the board to fail to POST, even if I raise it just a little without changing the processor multiplier. After clearing the CMOS, with all the BIOS settings at default, if the only change I make is to raise the FSB a little the machine will not POST. You should be able to duplicate this.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I sent them this email. They haven't responded yet:

After upgrading from the F7 BIOS to the F8 BIOS, I am unable to change the Front Side Bus speed. The machine won't even POST.

With the F7, F6, and F5 BIOS, I changed the processor multiplier from 9 to 8, and set the FSB to 400, the memory multiplier to 2. This allowed my E6600 to run stable at 3.2GHz.

After installing the F8 BIOS, any change to the FSB frequency causes the board to fail to POST, even if I raise it just a little without changing the processor multiplier. After clearing the CMOS, with all the BIOS settings at default, if the only change I make is to raise the FSB a little the machine will not POST. You should be able to duplicate this.

Wassup SRUANE...
This new F8 BIOS version is crap!!!
Gigabyte must have a pre-fab or template response for everything they answer it seems & now to this new BIOS' issues.
Your related post thread titled: GA-965P F8 BIOS Bug

edubai

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Hi guys

i have the same motherboard Gigabyte 965DQ6(ver 2.0) and i upgraded from F7 to F8

EVERYTHING IS OK

I can enable the FSB and put any number to overclock it

-----------------------------------------------------------

maybe after upgrading your Bios you didnt Load optimized Defaults

its important

if you guys dont believe me i can show you pictures

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Uh, I sorta mentioned that at the beginning of the post...

But thanks for your input.

Maybe it's because you have a v2.0 mobo?

My pal & I have the v1.0 mobo's & we're having issues as mentioned at the top of the post.

Thanks again.

Please put the PIX you have when you can...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Hi guys

i have the same motherboard Gigabyte 965DQ6(ver 2.0) and i upgraded from F7 to F8

EVERYTHING IS OK

I can enable the FSB and put any number to overclock it

-----------------------------------------------------------

maybe after upgrading your Bios you didnt Load optimized Defaults

its important

if you guys dont believe me i can show you pictures

No, you don't have the same motherboard. We have version 1.0. And if you're running optimized defaults, you are not over clocking the FSB. So, sure - let's see your pictures.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It doesn't. Your movie shopws you can change the number in the bios screen. Well, I can too, but I can't boot. Your little movie doesn't show that you can boot.

Give us a screenshot of cpu-z showing the system running with a higher FSB

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i hope this helps

http://www.4shared.com/file/8700023/ae3d72c0/MOV00057.html

Show us the system booting up completely after the change from beginning to end. I don't mind downloading a huge file for kicks. Thanks for trying.

edubai

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
i have a pentium D 3.2Ghz

i will overclock it to 4.0 or 3.8 and load into windows and show you !

is that what you want guys ?? :lol:

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
The argument is that you said your DQ6 v2.0 mobo system will boot up just fine using the F8 BIOS & changing the FSB to something other than the default. You offered to show us this. No???

One more thing, now you're not comparing apples to apples, you have a different mobo version & a differrent CPU as well.... hmmm.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah. - Give us a cpu-z screenshot showing the FSB speed

By the way - you STILL don't have the same setup we're talking about, In addition to a different motherboard, yo have a different processor. We are running E6600s. Proving you can overclock a completely different configuration is not useful. But go ahead. Try.

edubai

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
yes i can change the FSB to any other number and boot windows

i will show you if you want

wait for my video i will upload it