R600 benchmarks

cleeve

Illustrious
No pictures... if they were going to ignore the NDA they had to sign for the card, why not take pictures of it?

Also people have noticed that the 8800's Oblivion benchmarks seem unnaturally low.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
One reason I think its a fraud is because some of the people working at that website also work for AMD so they are obviously going to say it works better than Nvidia's. I'm sure the R600 will be an awesome card but there is no proof that its that good.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
No pictures... if they were going to ignore the NDA they had to sign for the card, why not take pictures of it?

Also people have noticed that the 8800's Oblivion benchmarks seem unnaturally low.

Exactly.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

Exactly.

"This article is authentic. Our R600 sample is an RTM sample used in the MS CERT process for driver validation (especially for Vista). We are not publishing pictures of the card itself right now, as the card contains major ID tags that we can not remove yet for source protection. We will add pictures of the card itself once we can remove these tags."

Also, for unnaturally low FPS on Oblivion with 8800

"Update - Oblivion Benchmark is TSSAA/AAA quality

Due to upcoming questions regarding the frame rates on our Oblivion test: We ran the Oblivion Benchmark with activated TSSAA (Transparency Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing) on nVidia and AAA (Adaptive Anti-Aliasing) on the ATI cards because Oblivion profits substantially from these advanced AA modes."

My point is, I've seen far less credible sites taken for absolute truth. But I see what you guys mean... 2 people do work for AMD... kinda cool though nonetheless :)

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I must say, that although this is most likely a fraud, I think the actual G80 v. R600 results will shake out pretty much the way they've presented. The G80 will continue to win a minority of benchmarks, and the R600 will lead in a slight majority. I don't think one card will absolutely destroy the other. That's just my two cents though, I've been wrong before. As much as I would like to see a blazingly fast ATI card that costs less than current GTX prices, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006

yep thats why im calling shenanigans; but i'm still going to wait for the real benchmarks of it till i buy my PC :p

and if it takes till march fine....hell DX10 games dont come out till march anyways......mmm Crysis......and Stalker (not Dx10..but its freaking Stalker...nuff said :D)

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Thats to CompUSA's great warrenty, I dont care which card is faster.... My 8800gts will be traded for the best CompUSA sells, in one year.

Mwhahahhahaa.

Oh rly? That sounds like a pretty sweet program, you wouldn't happen to have a link with more info would you?

Just look on their website.

Here is pretty much what it is (and any compusa rep will tell you the same if you ask).

For x $$$ you can protect your video card with the Compusa warranty. If at any time the video card becomes unusable, damaged, or XXX, please return the card for:

1.) full refund *minus what you paid for the warranty
2.) replacement of the card with the same product
3.) replacement of the card with a like cost product
4.) Repair of the product if customer chooses

I payed $39.95 for a one year plan (card was $400).

At about 11 months, I can over clock it and get a new card of equal value ($400).

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Why does that sound illegal? Oh right...silly me :roll:

The Wal-Mart near me has become much less lenient with their return policy because of people doing similar things. People have also been arrested and banned from the store.

Right, thats reasonable. Walmart has every right to ban people for abusing the return policy.

HOWEVER...... H O W E V E R........ H O W E V E R .................

CompUSA advertises this as a bonus. They dont care one way or the other as long as they make the warranty sale (cause thats what their metrics uses). There is nothing illegal here, and its Blatantly encouraged by the sales floor. A few of my co-workers have worked there in the past (for years), and this is a common Occurrence.

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Thats to CompUSA's great warrenty, I dont care which card is faster.... My 8800gts will be traded for the best CompUSA sells, in one year.

Mwhahahhahaa.

Ok but how much did you spend on your card? What card did you get? Graphics cards at CompUSA are very expensive compared to someone like a Newegg.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
For that reason I just buy Newegg and sell on eBay when it's time to upgrade. I save more money by doing this and have actually made money when selling a pair of 6600GT's I had a couple years ago.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Why does that sound illegal? Oh right...silly me :roll:

The Wal-Mart near me has become much less lenient with their return policy because of people doing similar things. People have also been arrested and banned from the store.

If I recal correctly, driver sided overclocking isn't warranty voidable? Can't be traced through the videocard, right?

Oops, my card fried. Sucked anyhow. It only handled 20 volts :lol:

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Thats why you paid 40 bucks. 40 bucks is worthy of like 10 meals at Mc-E D's, or your cable bill, my drinking bill and so on. C'mon.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The warranty is for a legitimate failure of the hardware or a manufacturing defect. What you guys are doing is no worse than Insurance Fraud. Just on a smaller scale, but Fraud none the less. I think the CompUSA execs should be getting their Auditing teams into action. If I was a store manager and found one of my employees doing that, they would be out the door so fast that it wouldn't have time to hit them in the ass as they passed through.