coreTemp, TAT and ET5 about temperature monitors

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
ET5 easytune 5 is a gigabyte monitor program also for temps. am using ga-965-ds4 and very confused about other temp monitoring programs such as TAT and coreTemp which gives out a plus 10degrees C higher.
MBM on the otherhand doesn't support this board(or does it?).
don't know which to trust... help is the word for this :(
please advice why is this so, and what other program could run more accurately on this board. i would like to trust ET5 but reading is lower than others and stops me from ocing higher. (scared that the higher is the right one)...

fftim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Havent used TAT, i use coretemp, since every1 here says is more accurate (something about measuring the core temps in inside the cpu etc.).

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
i had the same question as you and was told that the coretemp program is more accurate than the easy tune utility and BIOS. The difference is that they get their temp measurements from different locations and thats why there is a 10 - 12 degree variation between the two. I am sure someone with more experience can elaborate. Also, can you give me a description of your hardware specs and what you have your BIOS currently set to to OC. I am trying to do this also using a gigabyte board.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I'm currently researching this topic on 2 other threads, so thanks for your post, mpilchfamily.

Now there is a diifrence in the 2 readings do to margins of error between the 2. Keep in mind that none are truely accurate. There is always a margin of error involved. But it is best to pay more attention to the higher temp then the lower temp to be on the safe side.

This difference is approximately BIOS + ~ 15c = Core Temp. Let's take a look at the following link:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. 8)

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I've had a smilar problem

et5 reported my core 2 duo e6600 overclocked from stock 2.4 to 2.9 at full load after several hours as 24C degrees which is rediculous

you'd be better off with core temp or tat as they read the actual cpus diode temp.

in my case, for some reason, et5 kept mixing up the motherboard temp ie ambient air in case and the cpu temps, so cpu was always on 24C and ambient at 40 sumthing

timber715

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Thank you all especailly to CompuTronix, the post you made really helps... the voltages and operating temperatures are nice guidelines for all to look up using this processor.
another thing learned today! thank you all...
Cheers