  • IIS
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 5, 2005 9:35:59 AM

Hi

Anyone know how to create a FTP site for home computer?

i click on the IIS on the install program to install IIS 5.0 but i
cannot find it after installing it using window2000 disc. What else
must i do?

A website say this after installing IIS:

To access IIS, you can click Start | Programs | Administrative Tools |
Internet Services Manager

But i cannot find administrative tools...

Thanks, your help is deeply appreciated

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755748

More about : create ftp site home computer

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:24:26 PM

Right-click your Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Start Menu Settings |
check Administrator Tools. You should now be able to access Adminitrator
Tools from your Start Menu under Programs. You must be signed in as
Administrator to access these tools. These tools should also be available
in the Control panel.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"hwee30" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Anyone know how to create a FTP site for home computer?
>
> i click on the IIS on the install program to install IIS 5.0 but i
> cannot find it after installing it using window2000 disc. What else
> must i do?
>
> A website say this after installing IIS:
>
> To access IIS, you can click Start | Programs | Administrative Tools |
> Internet Services Manager
>
> But i cannot find administrative tools...
>
> Thanks, your help is deeply appreciated

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
r-ftopict553345.html
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755748
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:35:55 AM

"" wrote:
> Right-click your Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Start Menu
> Settings |
> check Administrator Tools. You should now be able to access
> Adminitrator
> Tools from your Start Menu under Programs. You must be signed
> in as
> Administrator to access these tools. These tools should also
> be available
> in the Control panel.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "hwee30" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Anyone know how to create a FTP site for home computer?
> >
> > i click on the IIS on the install program to install IIS 5.0
> but i
> > cannot find it after installing it using window2000 disc.
> What else
> > must i do?
> >
> > A website say this after installing IIS:
> >
> > To access IIS, you can click Start | Programs |
> Administrative Tools |
> > Internet Services Manager
> >
> > But i cannot find administrative tools...
> >
> > Thanks, your help is deeply appreciated
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
> r-ftopict553345.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:

Hi thanks for your help...

I had already create a ftp site, but how do i create a password to
prevent unautorise pple to access my ftp site?

again, thanks for your help
July 7, 2005 6:50:10 PM

You give them a user account and the password. Then you setup a FTP Virtual
directory named after the user. The folder name where it resides is
irrelevant. So for example you make this:

User: ftpuser
Password: password

Have a folder called D:\FTPStuff. Point a virtual FTP directory called
ftpuser to D:\FTPStuff. Make sure your NTFS permissions are set
accordingly.

Also make sure ftpuser has Security settings set to Allow sign on locally in
Local Security.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"hwee30" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > Right-click your Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Start Menu
> > Settings |
> > check Administrator Tools. You should now be able to access
> > Adminitrator
> > Tools from your Start Menu under Programs. You must be signed
> > in as
> > Administrator to access these tools. These tools should also
> > be available
> > in the Control panel.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "hwee30" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Anyone know how to create a FTP site for home computer?
> > >
> > > i click on the IIS on the install program to install IIS 5.0
> > but i
> > > cannot find it after installing it using window2000 disc.
> > What else
> > > must i do?
> > >
> > > A website say this after installing IIS:
> > >
> > > To access IIS, you can click Start | Programs |
> > Administrative Tools |
> > > Internet Services Manager
> > >
> > > But i cannot find administrative tools...
> > >
> > > Thanks, your help is deeply appreciated
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
> > r-ftopict553345.html
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> > abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755748
>
> Hi thanks for your help...
>
> I had already create a ftp site, but how do i create a password to
> prevent unautorise pple to access my ftp site?
>
> again, thanks for your help
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:36:49 AM

"" wrote:
> You give them a user account and the password. Then you setup
> a FTP Virtual
> directory named after the user. The folder name where it
> resides is
> irrelevant. So for example you make this:
>
> User: ftpuser
> Password: password
>
> Have a folder called D:FTPStuff. Point a virtual FTP
> directory called
> ftpuser to D:FTPStuff. Make sure your NTFS permissions are
> set
> accordingly.
>
> Also make sure ftpuser has Security settings set to Allow sign
> on locally in
> Local Security.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "hwee30" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > Right-click your Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Start
> Menu
> > > Settings |
> > > check Administrator Tools. You should now be able to
> access
> > > Adminitrator
> > > Tools from your Start Menu under Programs. You must be
> signed
> > > in as
> > > Administrator to access these tools. These tools should
> also
> > > be available
> > > in the Control panel.
> > >
> > > --
> > > George Hester
> > > _______________________________
> > > "hwee30" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> IIS 5.0
> > > but i
> disc.
> > > What else

> > > Administrative Tools |

> > > request
> > > standards
> > >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
> > > r-ftopict553345.html
> > > abuse:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755748
> >
> > Hi thanks for your help...
> >
> > I had already create a ftp site, but how do i create a
> password to
> > prevent unautorise pple to access my ftp site?
> >
> > again, thanks for your help

thanks man...

i understand what you are saying... the most difficult thing is
setting the NTFS permissions. Do i or do i not tick the column of
allow anoyomous connecttion, and allow anoyomous logon only and also
the allow iis to control password permission...

Thanks
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:29:10 PM

No that has nothing to do with NTFS permissions. That is in the Internet
Administration mmc. You want to look at the NTFS permissions for the folder
using Windows Explorer. Right-click the folder | Properties | Security and
make sure the user has access to the folder. It doesn't really matter what
IIS Admin says for access to the folder. Your NTFS security settings rule.

So yes just set FTP in the IISAdmin to Anonymous and all that. Rule the
access by NTFS. You should have all that you asked about set to the
default. I have a secure virtual FTP. But that is NOT configured in IIS
Admin. It is configured with NTFS permissions. The Virtual directory
allows Read | Write | Log vists. The FTP site itself ia all default Allow
Anonymous Connections, Allow IIS to control password. Big deal. Your NTFS
permissions will make sure only your user with their password can get into
your secure account. The anonymous account will never even see it. You
could change that too but let's see how this works right now.

Remember you use Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Local Security
Policy | Local Policies | User Rights Assignment | Logon Locally for that
user.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> "" wrote:
> > You give them a user account and the password. Then you setup
> > a FTP Virtual
> > directory named after the user. The folder name where it
> > resides is
> > irrelevant. So for example you make this:
> >
> > User: ftpuser
> > Password: password
> >
> > Have a folder called D:FTPStuff. Point a virtual FTP
> > directory called
> > ftpuser to D:FTPStuff. Make sure your NTFS permissions are
> > set
> > accordingly.
> >
> > Also make sure ftpuser has Security settings set to Allow sign
> > on locally in
> > Local Security.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "hwee30" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Menu
> > access
> > signed
> > also

> > IIS 5.0
> > disc.

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...

> > > Hi thanks for your help...
> > >
> > > I had already create a ftp site, but how do i create a
> > password to
> > > prevent unautorise pple to access my ftp site?
> > >
> > > again, thanks for your help
>
> thanks man...
>
> i understand what you are saying... the most difficult thing is
> setting the NTFS permissions. Do i or do i not tick the column of
> allow anoyomous connecttion, and allow anoyomous logon only and also
> the allow iis to control password permission...
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:36:41 PM

"" wrote:
> [...]
> > > signed
> should
> > > also

> computer?

> install
> > > IIS 5.0
> window2000
> > > disc.

> author's
> usenet
> > > > >

> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Create-...
> Report

> > > password to

> > thanks man...
> >
> > i understand what you are saying... the most difficult thing
> is
> > setting the NTFS permissions. Do i or do i not tick the
> column of
> > allow anoyomous connecttion, and allow anoyomous logon only
> and also
> > the allow iis to control password permission...

Hi thanks for your advise....

another thing is that after i set up a ftp site, whenever i disconnect
from the internet and connect again, the ip address will change....
how do i prevent this from happening?????
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:14:59 PM

It really shouldn't matter if your IP changes as long as you aren't using an
IP address for people to hook up to you. IIS will see the new IP address no
matter. You cannpt stop that change as more than likely that is the IP
address your ISP is giving you.

You can set up a dns name for your IP address free here:

http://www.dyndns.org/

I been using it for 5 yers. You'll have to update everytime your IP changes
but you'll find that's not too bad really.

--
George Hester

!