Sign in with
Your question

Need PSU selection advice for Core 2 Duo 6600 and 8800GTS

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2007 5:53:26 PM

hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a PSU. I've been doing a lot of searching and research but I can't seem to find what I need. I saw some threads with similar setups to mine but no one seems to have 1 8800GTS. It's either something lower or a 8800GTX. I've tried the calculators but I don't trust them.

First, here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
Gigabyte DS3 motherboard
2GB of Corsair RAM DDR2 800
Nvidia 8800GTS video card
SATA Seagate 7200.10 Harddrive
IDE DVD writer
2 120mm fans

I may add another harddrive in the future and I'll probably do some light overclocking.

I currently have a OCZ 450 Watt modstream. I don't think this is going to cut it because the 8800GTS requires 26A on the 12 volt which is exactly what this PSU has. So I feel I'm pushing it. I also don't like the light in the fan.

Here are some general guidelines:

- I really don't want to spend more than $150 which is really stretching my budget. Cheaper is better but I still want a good one
- I would prefer modular cables but it's not a requirement
- Something reasonably quiet so I assume this means 1 120mm fan
- rounded or sleeved cables
- no lights
- SLI isn't a requirement, I doubt I'll do it and the motherboard doesn't even support it

The two that looks the most promising are:

The 600W Silverstone SST-ST60F looks the best. The only downsides are it's a little pricey and the 12V rails are lower than the Seasonic despite the higher wattage. I don't know if that's a problem. I also haven't heard much about the brand.

550Watt SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus - doesn't look as nice as the the Silverstone (but same price) and lacks modular cables. But I understand it's very quiet and efficient.

Any advice?
January 3, 2007 6:11:37 PM

I have a 620w Enermax Liberty, 36 amps on the +12v rail, so it has plenty of power for your system, its $150. The 500w version would work as well, 32 amps on the +12v rail, its $110.
January 3, 2007 6:42:48 PM

I had that PSU running pretty much that system with 2 120mm fans and it was completly fine, never had nothing. Mind you I just bought a new Silverstone 750w.
Related resources
January 4, 2007 3:25:41 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at the OCZ 600W but that's got a light in it like my current one does.

bruce555: You said you had the same OCZ 450W PSU power your system, that's good to hear that it would at least work. Was there a good reason you swapped it for the Silverstone ST75F 750W?

Of all the ones I saw I still like the Silverstone better. I know it made the Nvidia SLI list but I don't know if it's that much worse than the Seasonic S12. Anyone have any idea?

I also couldn't find it on the xtreme systems link in the PSU 101 thread.

Is it really recommended I try to get something better?
January 4, 2007 6:26:03 PM

I know you don't like the light but since you seem to like OCZ, take a look at the 700W GameXStream. It has an LED fan but it's very faint, just a kind of blue glow. It's very stable, quiet, and has plenty of power. I can't even see it in my case, but that's because my HDD cage is blocking it.
January 5, 2007 3:37:17 PM

The reason I swapped out the modstream was that I had a chance to sell an old PC and I just worked that power supply into it.

I was looking at OCZ's gamestream line before I saw JonnyGuru's Review on them. The 12v rails wouldn't even stay in spec. They had higher than 150mV ripple on them under load and went over the 120mV ATX12V specification (How's that for stability).

So I bought the Silverstone Strider power supply. I really like modular power supplies and Jonny had a great review for the 600w and 750w was pretty good and only had a 12v ripple (75mV) once he pushed the power supply up to 762 watts, which was over the power supplies 750W spec. It seems my local store gets them at a great price cause the 600w goes for $149 CAD and 750w for $169 CAD both without any rebates. This was a pretty easy choice because the 750w pushing 54A should cover my butt for quite some time and hey, no light.

Also Silverstone is a great brand, right at the top of the list. And you can only really trust JonnyGuru's reviews for power supplies because he has (not completly sure on total price) a $50,000 PSU testing machine specifically made for testing ATX power supplies. There isn't any other site that I know of that tests power supplies like this.
January 5, 2007 3:53:31 PM

While I was running the modstream, you could tell it was under high load for it, the exuast was pretty warm and the inside of my case never really got above 30C. Also the one thing I never really liked about the modstream was that the 12V signal would always stay just below 12V (about 11.8V). Mind you always pretty stable but since I had the chance to get rid of it, I did.

But like I said before, never actually had any problems running the modstream with my system.
January 7, 2007 6:27:17 PM

Thanks so much for your help! That was good to hear and really informative. I'm probably going to go for the 600W Silverstone.
!