Your question

Dell upgrade - Vista 32 to Win 7 64

Tags:
  • Windows Vista
  • Dell
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2009 2:06:39 AM

I seem to have gotten myself into a problem. I bought a computer with Vista 32 bit Home Premium installed. I wanted a 64 bit OS, so I requested & received a 64 bit version of Vista from Dell. My Windows 7 upgrade discs arrived from Dell, but they're for 32 bit Windows 7 (based on my original configuration) and not 64 bit. I've been told that I need to custom install Win 7 and format the partition that has the 64 bit version so that I don't lose my "free upgrade" status. Does that sound right?

SEcondly, is there another way around this? I have some upgrade discs from other systems, can I use those & just enter the product key from my 32-bit Dell discs?

More about : dell upgrade vista win

a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 22, 2009 2:15:16 AM

Call Dell back and have them send you the proper media.

Technically the upgrade media is all the same, so the keys should work. There is a bit of a legal issue though...
m
l
November 22, 2009 2:24:49 AM

I'd like to get new discs from Dell, but I had such a hard time going from 32 bit to 64 bit Vista, I think they would balk at giving me new discs for Win 7.

As to the "legal issue" - my wife has 64 bit discs from Gateway. I guess I could use her discs, but I don't want to risk screwing up her warranty (or mine) if there's a problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 22, 2009 2:28:32 AM

dproberts said:
I'd like to get new discs from Dell, but I had such a hard time going from 32 bit to 64 bit Vista, I think they would balk at giving me new discs for Win 7.

They may, but there is really no harm in asking. I would also advise against using the Gateway disks to install on your Dell. None of the drivers will be present. It may end up being more frustrating doing it that way, instead of just asking Dell to send you 64 bit media.
m
l
November 22, 2009 2:47:22 AM

Yeah, I'd go with Dell coughing up a 64 bit first. If not possible, you could try to find someone with a 64 bit generic Microsoft upgrade disk.

Are the Dell and Gateway upgrade disks only loaded with their own drivers? If so, you'd have to get new drivers if you went with your wife's upgrade disk. One solution is to download all of the Dell Win 7 drivers for your computer.

Your product key should work with any upgrade disk.
m
l
!