Why are there different CPU revisions(overclock difference)?

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Could somebody please explain me something about the difference between for example an E6600 B1 and an E6600 B2? You read about people telling that one revision overclocks better then another revision.....why is that? Is Intel trying to block overclocks? Are they updates? I just can't imagen that it has to to with the fabrication process as that is so unbelievable accurate that I think mistakes just don't happen as the robots run the same programm right? The slightest mistake would allready have great consequences with such small processes or am I wrong? Just curious.....could it not be that some people just use wrong settings in their bios or buy the wrong memory for a good overclock?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Revisions can be a small as a line change in the litho mask, to an entirely different chemical mix in another process.

Most revisions are done to fix any issues found from previous revisions, and some of these fixes might hinder the overclockablility of the CPU, some won't.

Unless someone really understands what part of the errata a revision fixes, it's all just specualation about how much overclockablility is gained or loss.

So, to better answer your question: They are mostly fixes to the previous revision, kind of like updates. Oh, and the fabrication process isn't the issue, it's the design changes that engineers might have to change that make a difference at times.

This is just my thoughts on revisions. If there are errors, I'll stand corrected, but again, this how I see revisions. :)

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thx for your explanation ;) But it's kinda strange....I wonder what they are trying to fix cause as far as I know programs never crash nomatter what revision you use. So what kind of errors are they.... Sounds pretty interesting.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Almost every CPU has an errata data sheet when it's first created. Usually at A0, the sheet is created, and subsequent revisions are made to help fix these errors.

Here's a link to one for the Core Duo/Solo CPU.
Errata Sheet
Here's one for the Core 2 Duo CPU:
Core 2 Duo errata
Here's one for AMD CPUs. I figure they put a few CPUs under one.
AMD errata

Most of the errors listed won't affect the average user, but some might cause issues with people who are doing CPU intensive applications.

Again, I haven't heard of a new CPU without any errata sheets during processing. That's why you'll hardly ever see an A revision released to the public.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Nice one...never knew some cpu's could really hang under heavy load using a certain application. thx m8 :) I appreciate it :) I'll study the links.