Moving Windows 2000 PRO from one computer to another

matt

Here's the situation: right now, I am using an AMD K6-2/500 (on an ASUS
P5A-B), the harddrive has Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all current updates on it
and I am trying to move it to a P-III/750 (on an ABIT BE6-2). When I do that,
I get an error message stating that NTLDR is missing. I have tried changing
the position ov the drive (from IDE 1 to IDE 3), taking off the Cylinder
Limitation Jumper (required for it to work on the K6-2) and running a Chkdsk
/r on the drive. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

matt

BTW: NTLDR is on the root of C:, where it should be, and it works on the K6-2.

Matt wrote:
> Here's the situation: right now, I am using an AMD K6-2/500 (on an ASUS
> P5A-B), the harddrive has Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all current updates on it
> and I am trying to move it to a P-III/750 (on an ABIT BE6-2). When I do that,
> I get an error message stating that NTLDR is missing. I have tried changing
> the position ov the drive (from IDE 1 to IDE 3), taking off the Cylinder
> Limitation Jumper (required for it to work on the K6-2) and running a Chkdsk
> /r on the drive. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

matt

And this wont affect any data files (e.g. word documents, etc.) either?

Matt wrote:
> And this wont affect any data files (e.g. word documents, etc.) either?

It shouldn't, but as always when performing any serious changes, back
up any important data before proceeding, just in case. Things can go
wrong, in a small number of cases.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: