System performance issues

I am running windows 2000 Serivce pack 4 and I cannot get my system to run
under 100% CPU time. I currently, depending on the time of day, have 46-40
processes running in background. The problem is that I cannot figure out
which processes are vital and which are not. I have upgraded my memory and
replaced a couple of components and I still can't figure out how to fix this
problem.

Also, what is the difference between the priority settings. I understand
all but the realtime priority setting. Can someone explain that please.

Thanks for you input

xwdpuzzler wrote:
> I am running windows 2000 Serivce pack 4 and I cannot get my system to run
> under 100% CPU time. I currently, depending on the time of day, have 46-40
> processes running in background. The problem is that I cannot figure out
> which processes are vital and which are not. I have upgraded my memory and
> replaced a couple of components and I still can't figure out how to fix this
> problem.
>
> Also, what is the difference between the priority settings. I understand
> all but the realtime priority setting. Can someone explain that please.
>
> Thanks for you input

You can use msconfig from XP-here is one I found-
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/msconfig.zip
Also you could use RegSeeker to trim startup-
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Process Explorer might help ID what is running-
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Registered Linux User #393236