How do I check my SATA HD Temp?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I can only see my IDE HD with PC Wizard, but for my SATA HD I cannot see the temp.

Also my SATA HD is making a weird sound, it is as if is spinning faster than usual, like the speed goes up and down making a buzzing sound, like some kind of vibration inside the case.
And this is usually with no programs running on idle.

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I downloaded that program and no go, I also tried installing the Western Digital Diagnostic tools, and when I try to run either program, my pc will just restart.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Leave the PC running for at least 2 hours. Open the case. Put your hand on the top (or side) of the drive. If it feels hot then it is TOO HOT. If it feels warmer than blood temperature that would be bad.

Heat is the biggest killer of HDDs, and I attribute at least 75% of HDD failures to insufficient cooling.

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Its Western Digitial.

I use to have it on the HD Cage of my Antec Lanboy, but I moved it here like a week ago:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817998001

and since about yesterday or 2 days ago I starting noticing that it made those sounds. Like it started spinning very fast.

I wanna know its temp for sure, but both Programs I tried to use, wont work, they just make my PC restart, everytimg I try to use them.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
The noise you describe does sound heat related. I would move it back in front of the intake fan and note if the problem goes away.

Also, hopefully you already have backups of your data on that drive. Anytime a HDD starts making a loud grinding/buzzing/whirring noise, it's time to backup.

BTW, you said this is a Western Digital drive. Is it a Raptor? If it is, you definitely need a fan blowing on it.

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Ok, Im thinking about this.

Before I used to have it the power pluged in witht eh 4 pin legacy connector.

When I put it on that bay, the drive holder blocks the 4 pin legacy input, so I had to buy a cable to convert the power cable from the PSU to a Sata Power Cable, and have it hooked up on the Power Sata cable port.

could this be an issue of it heating up?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I installed Everest to check the Temp, and the SATA wont even show up in the list.

compul3.jpg