Windows 2000 SP4 RollUp 1 problems?

I'm using a machine running Windows 2000 Server SP4 English and is a
DC (not a major one, so I can play with it a bit). Recently Microsoft
released the Windows 2000 Security Roll Up Package 1, which I
installed on a few PC's without any problems. When installing it on
the DC machine however, it ran into some problems.

When installing it from the Windows Update site, halfway through the
installation it suddenly couldn't find a file it needed to copy. It
wasn't located in the temporary directory the EXE was expanded to. I
aborted the installation, but after rebooting the machine somehow the
Internet Explorer would not start anymore. The process was in the list
of running processes, I just never got a window to start browsing. All
normal network connectivity remained unhampered from the looks of it.

I then downloaded the actual package to a local EXE file
(Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE) through another machine, and moved
it over the network to the affected DC. Installed it, and without any
issues it installed it as it should. Rebooted the PC... Same problem
with IE remained. I could try starting it, but it'd hang some
processes (I couldn't access the startbar anymore, couldn't run
EXPLORER.EXE and such), and not display a browse window. Killing the
IEXPLORE.EXE process released everything again allowing me to proceed
with normal operation. I tried reinstalling IE, but this just stated
that I had the latest components already. Reinstalling IE (after a few
hitches) also did not provide for a solution.

Then the Automatic Updates came around stating it had downloaded new
updates, and it asked me if it could install them. Well... seeing I
had a minor issue already, any further updates (among two or three
security updates, IE had an update listed) might solve it. So I
agreed. Left the window open for a night, but nothing got installed.

I then booted up the machine in safemode with network support. Tried
IE... Started normally. Browsed to the Windows Update site, and
installed the available critical updates. No problems whatsoever. It
installed normally, and asked for a reboot. No problem... Rebooted the
machine. Tried IE... No go. IE still exhibits the same problem. As a
work-around I installed FireFox... That one connects to the internet
without any problems. So something appearantly is loaded on normal
boot that interferes with the functioning if IE.

I'd be content with using that if it wasn't for the fact that I
noticed some other problems. Not that the machine needs the software
(I may remove it alltogether, but it may help out pointing to a cause
of the whole) but AdAware had issues updating. It managed to update
eventually tho. SpyBot S&D updated without issues, SpywareBlaster
however hangs when trying to update the signature files. SpySweeper
appearantly likes to go the same way as IE, and refuses to start
alltogether. Lastly, the machine is running SETI (the CPU has got to
do something when it's not being used much), and I've noticed that
that machine seems unable to connect to the SETI website for returning
it's results packet.

The network connectivity isn't hampered and FireFox connects out to
the internet normally, so I'm ruling out the possibility of TCPIP
dying on me or the networkcard having issues. Also since IE works when
running in safemode, I kinda rule out an issue with IE itself (and as
a result any of the other programs aswell), and am looking more for an
underlying problems within the OS. Appearantly some part of that
RollUp package (and perhaps because of the failed first install) is
interfering with normal operation of the machine, or atleast certain
programs. As I said, it's not the primary machine, but I do like to
keep any machine functional as much as possible.

Tho one would expect that if the package was successfully installed on
a later pass that any file conflicts or registry issues should've been
taken care of.

The logfiles do not yield any real errors that might point to the
cause of the issue. There is a message (right after restarting the
machine) depicted in the application log:

EventID 61 - Warning - WMI ADAP was unable to process the RemoteAccess
performance library due to a time violation in the open function.
(http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=61&eventno=21&source=WinMgmt&phase=1)

I do not use any performance counters on that machine, so I'm biased
to go with the second noted on that page:

Woodrow Wayne Collins (Last update 3/11/2004):
If this error appears at the same time as the system is rebooting, no
action is necessary as it is to be expected.

The Systemlog yields an error 8022 - Warning - The browser was unable
to retrieve a list of domains from the browser master <OTHERPC> on the
network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{47D422E2-33A7-4E9D-8E50-CB519A8D9B64}.
The data is the error code.
The data depicts: 0000: 47 00 00 00 G...

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8022&eventno=453&source=BROWSER&phase=1

This also does not look like a real cause for problems. Since both are
warnings, I discard 'm both as not being real issues.

So I'm turning here to see if anyone might have some idea what is
going on, and what might be done about it.

Thanks in advance for any comment, feedback or solution provided.

Neko-
12 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 rollup problems

    What is a DC machine??

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl

    "Neko-" <neko@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
> [...]
    > to go with the second noted on that page:
    >
    > Woodrow Wayne Collins (Last update 3/11/2004):
    > If this error appears at the same time as the system is rebooting, no
    > action is necessary as it is to be expected.
    >
    > The Systemlog yields an error 8022 - Warning - The browser was unable
    > to retrieve a list of domains from the browser master <OTHERPC> on the
    > network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{47D422E2-33A7-4E9D-8E50-CB519A8D9B64}.
    > The data is the error code.
    > The data depicts: 0000: 47 00 00 00 G...

    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8022&eventno=453&source=BROWSER&phase=1

    > This also does not look like a real cause for problems. Since both are
    > warnings, I discard 'm both as not being real issues.
    >
    > So I'm turning here to see if anyone might have some idea what is
    > going on, and what might be done about it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any comment, feedback or solution provided.

    DC = Domain Controller :P

    I thought that be rather obvious, so I just kept to the short-name of
    it. Oh well :)

    D(omain)C(ontroller).

    Two things maybe. Try to remove the TCP\IP from the Network card. Reboot
    and put it back in Or turn off Web View in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder
    settings... | General | check Classic view.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >
    > > Woodrow Wayne Collins (Last update 3/11/2004):
    > > If this error appears at the same time as the system is rebooting, no
    > > action is necessary as it is to be expected.
    > >
    > > The Systemlog yields an error 8022 - Warning - The browser was unable
    > > to retrieve a list of domains from the browser master <OTHERPC> on the
    > > network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{47D422E2-33A7-4E9D-8E50-CB519A8D9B64}.
    > > The data is the error code.
    > > The data depicts: 0000: 47 00 00 00 G...

    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8022&eventno=453&source=BROWSER&p
    hase=1

    > > This also does not look like a real cause for problems. Since both are
    > > warnings, I discard 'm both as not being real issues.
    > >
    > > So I'm turning here to see if anyone might have some idea what is
    > > going on, and what might be done about it.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any comment, feedback or solution provided.

    The Web View isn't enabled. So running Explorer works fine. It's
    starting to act up appearantly as soon as IE components are being
    loaded.

    I could try the TCP/IP solution tho... However since normal network
    traffic isn't affected, and FireFox runs normally, I seriously doubt
    the TCP/IP stack itself is faulty.

    The machine only runs TCP/IP, and seeing it can be accessed from the
    network normally, aswell as access other network based resources I
    doubt that will help much. I know instances where the RPC isn't quite
    normally bound to TCP/IP, but those cases only occur on re-dumped
    machines. *shrug*

    Anyway. Tried accessing the properties of the LAN connection. A very
    descriptive error popped up: "An unexpected Error occurred". Couldn't
    open the LAN properties in any way, so I just rebooted the machine
    into SafeMode with network support and tried through there. Same
    message: "An unexpected error occurred". Plain Safemode... no opening
    at all.

    Tracked that error at the Microsoft support site. About the only
    article describing the issue is located at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824923

    Tried both solutions on there. (not specified as a solution for
    Windows 2000, but hey). Solution 1 (netshell.dll) did not provide a
    solution. So I turned to the ole32.dll. Restart of the computer.

    The error still occurs, but atleast IE now opens a window again. It
    just keeps looking and looking, and looking. Window remains empty.
    Tried pinging to a website, no problems. IP resolving and connectivity
    is there. It just doesn't display in IE. Looked that error up:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555027

    Didn't help me. :-(

    So the TCP/IP doesn't look like the culprit. Seems there is something
    more sinister going on. Anyone have any further idea's on how to
    proceed here?

    Thanks for any and all responses.

    Neko-

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:45:13 -0400, "George Hester"
    <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >D(omain)C(ontroller).
    >
    >Two things maybe. Try to remove the TCP\IP from the Network card. Reboot
    >and put it back in Or turn off Web View in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder
    >settings... | General | check Classic view.

    Hi Neko,

    We ran this MS update last week;

    Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 that is dated June
    28, 2005
    Article ID : 900345
    Last Review : July 8, 2005
    Revision : 2.0

    We have two Domain Controllers, and one of them - the FSMO GC, blue screened
    with A Stop ..1E ntoskrnl.exe error.

    There was no way to get out of it except when we paid $300 for a 'five day
    only' version of Winternals ERD Comander. We were able to boot with the ERD
    CD and 'roll back' the MS Rollup.
    After that it was OK. Just to test if this was a 'one off' error, we ghosted
    the Domain Controller and tried the MS Rollup again and got blue screened
    again.

    Regards,
    Slarty Bartfast

    Slart Bartfast wrote:
    > Hi Neko,
    >
    > We ran this MS update last week;
    >
    > Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 that is dated June
    > 28, 2005
    > Article ID : 900345
    > Last Review : July 8, 2005
    > Revision : 2.0
    >

    > We have two Domain Controllers, and one of them - the FSMO GC, blue screened
    > with A Stop ..1E ntoskrnl.exe error.
    >
    > There was no way to get out of it except when we paid $300 for a 'five day
    > only' version of Winternals ERD Comander. We were able to boot with the ERD
    > CD and 'roll back' the MS Rollup.
    > After that it was OK. Just to test if this was a 'one off' error, we ghosted
    > the Domain Controller and tried the MS Rollup again and got blue screened
    > again.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Slarty Bartfast

    I've not had any problems with the updates until today. We found this
    on another newsgroup. (We should not have had to do this. But, we did
    due to an unrecoverable NTOSKRNL exception.) This is for Windows 2000
    only.
    for this problem someone in this NG knew the solution. It worked for
    some
    other guy as well.

    problem:
    --------
    I just attempted to update a Windows 2000 Server SP4 through Windows
    Update
    including the Update Rollup. After reboot it shows a Blue Screen.

    Stop: 0x0000001E (0x0000005,0x804A6467,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    KMode_Exception_not_handled
    Adress 804A6467 base at 80400000, DateStamp 427b58bb - ntoskrnl.exe

    All F8 options don't work. There have never been any problems with the
    server which is a file and DHCP Server in an W2K domain.

    Does anybody know a solution? Should I run a repair installation from
    CD? Is
    there a known problem with the update rollup?
    ---------

    solution:
    ---------
    Try uninstalling the Rollup Pack

    reboot in recovery console
    cd to your windows directory
    cd $NtUpdateRollupPackUninstall$
    cd spuninst
    do a dir and make sure there is spuninst.txt file in there
    use the command "batch spuninst.txt"
    exit the recovery console

    ----------

    thanks again, Fritz,

    Axel
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Slart Bartfast wrote:
    > This method would have been OK for me, but I couldn't even get into it with
    > F8! There was no way in except via this Winternals boot CD.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Slarty Bartfast
    >

    > Friction is a drag.

    I had to boot from my Windows 2000 installation CD, install the SCSI
    drivers (because I had RAID Drives - F6 when prompted), follow the
    onscreen instructions and specify Repair. Then, go into the Recovery
    Console from there. "Safe mode" (any of them) or "Debug mode" would
    not work, so this method allowed me to successfully run the recovery
    console. Just be sure not to do an install, unless that's you're
    intention. :) Hope this helps.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    This method would have been OK for me, but I couldn't even get into it with
    F8! There was no way in except via this Winternals boot CD.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Friction is a drag.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Well... that went well :-)

    Did the solution below... No real worries there. It came back that it
    had some access denieds on some files, but copied everything after
    that back appearantly fine. Then the reboot out of the recovery
    console came by...

    Which landed me on the Windows is starting screen (with the nice bar
    at the bottom), and then it *tried* to switch to the nice graphic
    screen depicting the start of Windows normally... Which didn't appear.
    It just rebooted.

    Got up to the same place... Rebooted again... And again, and again.

    So... Boot from the W2K server CD... Choose to repair windows... Did
    all that without a hitch. Reboot of the PC... Same error occurred.
    Cycle of reboots all at the same point. As soon as the post-preboot
    ends, it dies on me and reboots.

    Safe Mode? Nope. Same happens, right after it loads the MUP.SYS
    driver.

    So... I guess the rollback from the rollup officially killed off the
    PC... I'm guessing I'm gonna have to disconnect the data disks this
    weekend, and reinstall Windows. Re-integrate it into the domain, and
    just run with a clean install again. All in all, a tad of work which
    I'm not really looking forward to for the moment :-/

    Maybe the fact that it's hot and it's 23:00 in the evening may have
    something to do with my mood now.

    Oh well... Thanks for everyone's help sofar. If anyone has any ideas
    left, I'd be willing to listen to 'm :-)

    Neko-

    >solution:
    >---------
    >Try uninstalling the Rollup Pack
    >
    >reboot in recovery console
    >cd to your windows directory
    >cd $NtUpdateRollupPackUninstall$
    >cd spuninst
    >do a dir and make sure there is spuninst.txt file in there
    >use the command "batch spuninst.txt"
    >exit the recovery console
    >
    >----------
    >
    >thanks again, Fritz,
    >
    >Axel
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Neko and ZDAS7,

    As I said, I had the same ntoskrnl.exe stop error after the MS Hotfix. I
    tried to get into safe mode with F8 and it would stop loading at the Windows
    screen. Using the Windows 2000 CD to repair said 'no hard disk'!
    I was able to put a SCSI 2000 bootable hard drive in and I could see the
    failed hard drive as secondary. I could copy over a new ntosknrl.exe and try
    various other things like chkdsk etc, but the ONLY way for us to get out of
    this was to reinstall everything, but instead we were able to use Winternals
    boot CD and that was able roll back to a state before the MS Update. It cost
    about $300 for five day usage, but it was worth it.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    It's tourist season in Florida, bag limit two.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Like I said before... this machine aint THAT critical. I do not feel
    any need to actually invest $300 to get it running again (provided it
    will be able to get back up again), if a reinstall can provide me the
    same functionality. The machine has been abused for multiple things
    over the course of time, so a reinstall may not really be too bad of
    an idea.

    Neko-

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:05:28 +1000, "Slart Bartfast"
    <Slarty@Bartfast.com> wrote:

    >Hi Neko and ZDAS7,
    >
    >As I said, I had the same ntoskrnl.exe stop error after the MS Hotfix. I
    >tried to get into safe mode with F8 and it would stop loading at the Windows
    >screen. Using the Windows 2000 CD to repair said 'no hard disk'!
    >I was able to put a SCSI 2000 bootable hard drive in and I could see the
    >failed hard drive as secondary. I could copy over a new ntosknrl.exe and try
    >various other things like chkdsk etc, but the ONLY way for us to get out of
    >this was to reinstall everything, but instead we were able to use Winternals
    >boot CD and that was able roll back to a state before the MS Update. It cost
    >about $300 for five day usage, but it was worth it.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Unfortunately, this was our main Domain Controller with DNS, FSMO and GC,
    plus lots of hard to configure stuff. We really didn't look foward to
    re-installing it.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.

Internet Explorer Windows 2000 Windows