[F1] Hardware & Driver Issues

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

/****************************/
/*ALL thoughts && ideas welcome*/
/****************************/

PROBLEM 1 :

Hardware
----------
1 cd-rom drive [not working OR detected during startup]
1 cd-burner drive [not working OR detected during startup]

Steps Conducted
------------------
*checked all connections inside box and outside
*uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
*conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no promissing
out come NOTE: The steps I conducted where for a cd-rom
not not playing a cd nothing to do with my actual problem could I find that
I felt was useful

Result
------
No Solution Found

PROBLEM 2 :

Hardware
----------
1 Canon BJC1000 [not working OR detected during startup]

Steps Conducted
------------------
* tried configuring on port(s) ltp# & com# ALL
*uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
*conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no promissing
out come
*printer can not send a test page
*checked all connections inside box and outside as well as printer
*printer does not respond to command line
Example: cd %systemroot%
dir > lpt# OR com#

Result
------
No Solution Found

The Information contained in this E-Mail any of its attachments and any
subsequent correspondence is private and may contain proprietary or
legally privileged information intended solely for the intended
recipient(s). For those other than the recipient(s) any disclosure,
reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly and
the sender notified.

This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses. However, no
warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

Are either optical drives seen in the BIOS? If not and they are connected
correctly, get a PCI Promise IDE Controller card (or similar) and see if
they can be detected when connected to the Controller Card. I have seen the
IDE Controller on the motherboard fail.

Is the LPT port seen in the BIOS? If so, what is it set to?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"unknown" <unknown@someplace.com> wrote in message
> /****************************/
> /*ALL thoughts && ideas welcome*/
> /****************************/
>

> PROBLEM 1 :
>
> Hardware
> ----------
> 1 cd-rom drive [not working OR detected during startup]
> 1 cd-burner drive [not working OR detected during startup]
>
> Steps Conducted
> ------------------
> *checked all connections inside box and outside
> *uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
> *conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no promissing
> out come NOTE: The steps I conducted where for a
> cd-rom
> not not playing a cd nothing to do with my actual problem could I find
> that
> I felt was useful
>
> Result
> ------
> No Solution Found
>

> PROBLEM 2 :
>
> Hardware
> ----------
> 1 Canon BJC1000 [not working OR detected during startup]
>
> Steps Conducted
> ------------------
> * tried configuring on port(s) ltp# & com# ALL
> *uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
> *conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no promissing
> out come
> *printer can not send a test page
> *checked all connections inside box and outside as well as printer
> *printer does not respond to command line
> Example: cd %systemroot%
> dir > lpt# OR com#
>
> Result
> ------
> No Solution Found

> The Information contained in this E-Mail any of its attachments and any
> subsequent correspondence is private and may contain proprietary or
> legally privileged information intended solely for the intended
> recipient(s). For those other than the recipient(s) any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
> reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly and
> the sender notified.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses. However, no
> warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

// The optical drive for the cd-burner can be seen in the BIOS; while the
lpt port and the second optical drive for the cd-rom still arent detected.
What is the next recomended step/procedure to get the cd-rom functioning
properly.

> Are either optical drives seen in the BIOS? If not and they are connected
> correctly, get a PCI Promise IDE Controller card (or similar) and see if
> they can be detected when connected to the Controller Card. I have seen
the
> IDE Controller on the motherboard fail.
>
> Is the LPT port seen in the BIOS? If so, what is it set to?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "unknown" <unknown@someplace.com> wrote in message
> > /****************************/
> > /*ALL thoughts && ideas welcome*/
> > /****************************/
> >

> > PROBLEM 1 :
> >
> > Hardware
> > ----------
> > 1 cd-rom drive [not working OR detected during startup]
> > 1 cd-burner drive [not working OR detected during startup]
> >
> > Steps Conducted
> > ------------------
> > *checked all connections inside box and outside
> > *uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
> > *conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no
promissing
> > out come NOTE: The steps I conducted where for a
> > cd-rom
> > not not playing a cd nothing to do with my actual problem could I find
> > that
> > I felt was useful
> >
> > Result
> > ------
> > No Solution Found
> >

> > PROBLEM 2 :
> >
> > Hardware
> > ----------
> > 1 Canon BJC1000 [not working OR detected during startup]
> >
> > Steps Conducted
> > ------------------
> > * tried configuring on port(s) ltp# & com# ALL
> > *uninstalled and reinstalled all drives
> > *conducted ALL Windows 2000 troubleshooting steps w/ no
promissing
> > out come
> > *printer can not send a test page
> > *checked all connections inside box and outside as well as
printer
> > *printer does not respond to command line
> > Example: cd %systemroot%
> > dir > lpt# OR com#
> >
> > Result
> > ------
> > No Solution Found

> > The Information contained in this E-Mail any of its attachments and any
> > subsequent correspondence is private and may contain proprietary or
> > legally privileged information intended solely for the intended
> > recipient(s). For those other than the recipient(s) any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
> > reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> > Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly and
> > the sender notified.
> >
> > This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses. However, no
> > warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.

DC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

ACPI enabled in the BIOS?

don
========

*

> [...]
> >
> > The Information contained in this E-Mail any of its attachments and
any
> > subsequent correspondence is private and may contain proprietary or
> > legally privileged information intended solely for the intended
> > recipient(s). For those other than the recipient(s) any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
> > reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> > Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly
and
> > the sender notified.
> >
> > This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses. However, no
> > warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.

*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

If the LPT port isn't seen in the BIOS, then it sounds like it has failed on
the motherboard.

With the drives, the burner (that is detected in the BIOS) sounds like it is
still 'alive', whereas the second optical drive may have also failed. First
thing to do is disconnect the second optical drive and see whether the
burner is now seen in Windows itself. Sometimes one bad drive on an IDE
controller will stop the other one working.

If it's not seen in the BIOS, it's generally dead.

Best thing to try is connecting it to another PC and see if it really has
died... thankfully they are very cheap to replace.. although you might want
to think about a DVD burner for better backup facilities. The printer is
now definitely considered 'old'. A USB printer would be a good replacement.
You could try a PCI LPT card, but a new printer may well be almost as cheap,
particularly since it comes with fresh ink.