HIS or Sapphire?

ToneUK

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hi all, firstly, ive just joined the community, so hello to everyone that is reading this!

After some extensive research ive decided to go for an X1950 XT over the 7950GT.

Now its just down to choosing a brand, and have narrowed it down to HIS and Sapphire. I have never had either of the brands before, but ive seen on websites that Sapphire is cheaper by some 20-30 pounds. And was curious to know why.

I know HIS have a unique cooling solution but is there a big difference in quality and reliability?

Regards, Anthony (ToneUK)

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
If you can afford the HIS then thats the best one to get due to the cooling solution. The Sapphire is just as good and they tend to overclock to XTX speeds too.

However, the HIS is a good overclocker too. Basically, the difference is the cooler which would do it for me. However, I cant find the HIS version with the cooler cheaper than £210. The Sapphire you can get for £165. Can you find HIS cheaper? I'm based in the UK...

Peace.

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The board itself is basically the same. The regular HIS is the same as the Sapphire. I'm not sure about the warranty, but I don't imagine that they are too far off. The HIS IceQ3 has the more quiet cooler, so whether it's worth 30 pounds for less noise, that's up to you.

fastanglx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I purchased an HIS X1900 Crossfire Edition and an X1900XTX IceQ3 card from Monarch Computer back in May.

The XTX card has been wonderful works really good heatsink fan is quiet and keeps temps in the mid 60'C range.

The Crossfire card on the other hand has been a big steaming pile of RoHS crap. The first one lasted about a week and then went out for replacement. Good luck on getting it replaced if the company you purchased the card from won't take it back. I had to deal with the US distributer of HIS cards as HIS doesn't have any offices in the US. It was a month to get a replacement back and the replacement had a problem from the get go. So I was another month in the RMA loop to get a third card. I guess you can say third time is the charm because it has been working for the last 3 months.

The other gripe I have with HIS is there were two MIR for the cards and I received two letters in November stating that I had sent the rebate information in too late. I will never purchase another HIS product again.

I can't say whether Saphire is any better, but I thought I would share my HIS experience with you.

ToneUK

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
After having my x850xt with that same cooler, I have to say... my next card will definitely have a quieter more efficient cooler. My advice is to either get the IceQ one, or the Sapphire and buy a different cooler for it. Whichever is cheapest.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

I suppose you are talking about one like this, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161048

Yeah thats the right one, i hope fastang's experience with HIS is an isolated one.