Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861) and other ..

1. I have dialup, so I am posting for clarification before committing to a
31.2 MB download that I can't even save in case I need it again. (I *hate*
that.)

My Win2K SP4 machine is fully patched. Will the Update Rollup 1 add anything
I don't have (I'll do it), or would I just be downloading what I've already
got ( I won't do it)?

2. The updated Windows Installer 3.1 causes me nothing but problems. I
always have to remove it. Do I need it? (I don't think so.) Do other people
have this situation?

3. There is a new IE patch for Win2K SP4 with IE6 (and other
configurations). I lost the URL. Does anyone have it? It doesn't show up on
Windows Update yet.

Thank you,
Walterius

Cancel question 3. I got the update and installed it.

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> 1. I have dialup, so I am posting for clarification before committing to a
> 31.2 MB download that I can't even save in case I need it again. (I *hate*
> that.)
>
> My Win2K SP4 machine is fully patched. Will the Update Rollup 1 add
anything
> I don't have (I'll do it), or would I just be downloading what I've
already
> got ( I won't do it)?
>
> 2. The updated Windows Installer 3.1 causes me nothing but problems. I
> always have to remove it. Do I need it? (I don't think so.) Do other
people
> have this situation?
>
> 3. There is a new IE patch for Win2K SP4 with IE6 (and other
> configurations). I lost the URL. Does anyone have it? It doesn't show up
on
> Windows Update yet.
>
> Thank you,
> Walterius

Microsoft claims that there are fixes in the rollup that were not issued
separately, I don't know whether that is true. You can download and save
the rollup file in case you need it again. The link is
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=c0a2ca36-1179-431c-80e6-60a494d3823d&displaylang=en

If that's too long to work properly for you, go to
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;891861 and click on "Download
the Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE package now" in the Download
Information section.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Thank you, Gary. That was very helpful. :)

Walterius wrote:
> 1. I have dialup, so I am posting for clarification before committing to a
> 31.2 MB download that I can't even save in case I need it again. (I *hate*
> that.)

Why do you think you can't save it for future use ? I
downloaded/saved it with no problems.

> My Win2K SP4 machine is fully patched. Will the Update Rollup 1 add anything
> I don't have (I'll do it), or would I just be downloading what I've already
> got ( I won't do it)?
>
> 2. The updated Windows Installer 3.1 causes me nothing but problems. I
> always have to remove it. Do I need it? (I don't think so.) Do other people
> have this situation?
>
> 3. There is a new IE patch for Win2K SP4 with IE6 (and other
> configurations). I lost the URL. Does anyone have it? It doesn't show up on
> Windows Update yet.
>
> Thank you,
> Walterius

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I installed the rollup on my system
and have seen no problems. I've alos installed the IE and OE securit
fixes. Both are recent but not exactly new. The Knowledge Base article
numbers are 883939 and 897715. Were either of those what you had in mind?

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

It is a security rollup. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid that you
have Top Secret info on your machine that everyone in the world and their
sister wants? A little effort on your part should avoid most everything.
Unless of course you are James Bond and Mr Freeze is out to get you.

Why can't you save the 31.2 MB d/l? Dial-up cuts you off before you can? I
ran into that problem before.

Yes although Windows 2000 SP4 is fully patched Microsoft comes out with new
security updates weekly. Since SP4 is what 2 years old that means you need
108 more. Actually I don't think you need anything more but that's just me.
Get them in the rollup if you want. But I wouldn't touch it for 6 mos
minimum. Being a Guniea Pig is really no fun.

Don't know about IE 6 in Windows 2000. sorry.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:34:26 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
wrote:

> I installed the rollup on my system
>and have seen no problems. I've alos installed the IE and OE securit
>fixes. Both are recent but not exactly new.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what can or should be uninstalled, if
anything.

I have Win 2K Pro, recently installed but before the rollup. After
installation, I just "went with the flow" of Windows Update which
steered me first to about 41 critical updates and IE6. Then I
installed SP 4. Finally, when the rollup became available, I installed
that. No problems. It boots up and powers down quickly and behaves
very well.

Now, I don't really need to conserve drive space ... I'm drowning
in it. But I am in the habit of trying to keep things tidy. And maybe
I should leave well enough alone. But I am curious about the
question of what can safely be deleted/uninstalled since it seems
there must be redundancies.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Art <null@zilch.com> wrote:
> I have Win 2K Pro, recently installed but before the rollup. After
> installation, I just "went with the flow" of Windows Update which
> steered me first to about 41 critical updates and IE6. Then I
> installed SP 4. Finally, when the rollup became available, I installed
> that. No problems. It boots up and powers down quickly and behaves
> very well.

> Now, I don't really need to conserve drive space ... I'm drowning
> in it. But I am in the habit of trying to keep things tidy. And maybe
> I should leave well enough alone. But I am curious about the
> question of what can safely be deleted/uninstalled since it seems
> there must be redundancies.

If you don't really need to free up the space, I'd leave evrything alone.
You can delete the $Uninstall folders from WINNT if you're sure you'll
never want to uninstall any of the patches and will never want an older
version of any of the updated modules. Even though I've seen no problems
yet, I'm not sure that I never will, so I just leave everything in place.
If you do decide to delete some folders, back them up some external medium
just in case.

--

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:31:50 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
wrote:

>Art <null@zilch.com> wrote:
>> I have Win 2K Pro, recently installed but before the rollup. After
>> installation, I just "went with the flow" of Windows Update which
>> steered me first to about 41 critical updates and IE6. Then I
>> installed SP 4. Finally, when the rollup became available, I installed
>> that. No problems. It boots up and powers down quickly and behaves
>> very well.
>
>> Now, I don't really need to conserve drive space ... I'm drowning
>> in it. But I am in the habit of trying to keep things tidy. And maybe
>> I should leave well enough alone. But I am curious about the
>> question of what can safely be deleted/uninstalled since it seems
>> there must be redundancies.
>
>If you don't really need to free up the space, I'd leave evrything alone.
>You can delete the $Uninstall folders from WINNT if you're sure you'll
>never want to uninstall any of the patches and will never want an older
>version of any of the updated modules. Even though I've seen no problems
>yet, I'm not sure that I never will, so I just leave everything in place.
>If you do decide to delete some folders, back them up some external medium
>just in case.

I am leaving well enough alone, thanks Gary. And I am a backup freak.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg