greghouse

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I was thinking of changing my RAM. Can any one tell me about OCZ technologies, as I don't know yet which to choose?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Which OCZ are you looking at buying? They are a great company that tend to the quality of their products very well. Much of their higher end memory handles voltages higher than most others and overclocks similarly.

Corsair i was forgetting.... :)

Kingston, not so much, unless you want to correct me.

To Max, I am just including a list of POPULARLY known great ram... there are other manufacturers that kick some major ass, but are not used very often.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
To Max, I am just including a list of POPULARLY known great ram... there are other manufacturers that kick some major ass, but are not used very often

*Cough* Super Talent *Cough* ...I must be coming down with something.

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
*cough* why not just list all RAM brands?:/

COMMON and respected brands are corsair, kingston, OCZ and, perhaps, crucial

cant get super talent outside USA and then theres others which turn up sporadically with a few models. some can be bought on a few continents, soem not.

Mondoman

Splendid
... Much of their higher end memory handles voltages higher than most others and overclocks similarly.
Overclocking the same amount, but at a higher voltage, is a sign of lesser-quality RAM. Is that what you meant to say?

To the OP: OCZ is a major brand that emphasizes performance over compatibility. Kingston emphasizes compatibility. COrsair emphasizes both.

What he is saying is that OCZ can handle higher voltages resulting in greater OC's.

I assume.

Note: Crucial emphasized both much more then corsair.... in fact they guaranty it or your money back.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
yeah but not all of their RAM modules use micron ICs (the memory chips on the module) they do indeed use promos ICs (not so good ones...) as I found out a few days ago. :)
Team (xtreme series) and cellshock are I think the only manufacturers that use micron ICs in their RAM. Off the top of my head...

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
yeah but not all of their RAM modules use micron ICs (the memory chips on the module) they do indeed use promos ICs (not so good ones...) as I found out a few days ago. :)
Team (xtreme series) and cellshock are I think the only manufacturers that use micron ICs in their RAM. Off the top of my head...

:O:O::O they use another companies ICs? lol, thats crazy....promos must be really cheap to make it more profitable to buy instead of make your own.

super talent and some corsair use micron

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
What he is saying is that OCZ can handle higher voltages resulting in greater OC's.

I assume.

Note: Crucial emphasized both much more then corsair.... in fact they guaranty it or your money back.

That is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. OCZ memory *tends* to be fine and dandy when you put more voltage through it then most other memory brands. Resulting in a higher max OC? Maybe. Just to make it clear though, OCZ will OC as well as others at the SAME voltages, but has more headroom for OCing due to increased voltage allowance. I know there are some OCZ modules warrantied to 2.35v which is pretty high for a warranty.