share folders concern

In my home computer, there are a few shared folders for all my local
drives and winnt directory.

I don't understand why they are created at the first place. This is a
home computer and I don't want it to be shared with anybody. I think
sharing can jeoperdize its security.

Is this default setup of win2k, or is it a work of a virus?

When I stopped the sharing of these folders, I got a msg saying it's
created for administrative purpose and will be recreated after next
boot. Indeed, after I reboot, they reappear.

Should I permanently stop the sharing? If yes, how do I do it?

Thank you so much.

Administrative shares are automatically created.
To disable or remove sharing, right click My Network Places -> Properties
right click Local Area Connection ->Properties
To disable: Untick File and Printer Sharing
To remove:Highlight File & Printer Sharing, Click on Remove

Mike

In news:1120728969.499961.194710@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
PeaceHere@gmail.com <PeaceHere@gmail.com> typed:
> In my home computer, there are a few shared folders for all my local
> drives and winnt directory.

Yes.

> I don't understand why they are created at the first place.

Because they are. :)

> This is a
> home computer and I don't want it to be shared with anybody.

You don't have to. Are you even on a network, outside of your Internet
connection?

> I think
> sharing can jeoperdize its security.

Well, you can disable file & print sharing, but at the very least, you need
a firewall anyway.

> Is this default setup of win2k, or is it a work of a virus?
>
> When I stopped the sharing of these folders, I got a msg saying it's
> created for administrative purpose and will be recreated after next
> boot. Indeed, after I reboot, they reappear.

Yes.

> Should I permanently stop the sharing?

I wouldn't - I'd just make sure my security was tight & I was behind a
decent firewall (or two).

> If yes, how do I do it?

The other reply may help. Personally, I wouldn't bother.