removable hard drive not readable on one machine

i've got a removable hard drive that i can read from fine on my home PC and
used to be able to read from my work PC, but it's gone wonky on my work PC.
i'm getting "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and
unreadable". short of reformatting the whole drive, how can i restore the
drive?

tks
5 answers Last reply
More about removable hard drive readable machine

    What OS's are both your work and home boxes running? Have you tried to
    Import Foreign Media?

    "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What OS's are both your work and home boxes running?
    both are running win2000 prof.

    Have you tried to
    > Import Foreign Media?

    no, where is this option?

    tks

    "Dica" <genpub5@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What OS's are both your work and home boxes running?
    > both are running win2000 prof.
    >
    > Have you tried to
    > > Import Foreign Media?
    >
    > no, where is this option?
    i googled "Import Foreign Media" and went to disk management, but don't see
    the option when i right click the disk. any other ideas?

    > tks
    >

    > > "Dica" wrote:
    > >
    > > > i've got a removable hard drive that i can read from fine on my home
    PC
    > and
    > > > used to be able to read from my work PC, but it's gone wonky on my
    work
    > PC.
    > > > i'm getting "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted
    > and
    > > > unreadable". short of reformatting the whole drive, how can i restore
    > the
    > > > drive?
    > > >
    > > > tks

    Well you should be running XP for the import option to be there....sorry bout
    that. How many other mahcines have you tried this drive in?

    > Well you should be running XP for the import option to be there....sorry
    bout
    > that. How many other mahcines have you tried this drive in?

    just one - my home PC. i've run checkdisk on the homePc and nothing wrong
    found with the hard drive.

    > "Dica" wrote:
    >

    > > "Dica" <genpub5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > both are running win2000 prof.
    > > >
    > > > Have you tried to
    > > >
    > > > no, where is this option?
    > > i googled "Import Foreign Media" and went to disk management, but don't
    see
    > > the option when i right click the disk. any other ideas?
    > >

    > > > tks

    > > PC
    > > > and
    > > work