removable hard drive not readable on one machine

i've got a removable hard drive that i can read from fine on my home PC and
used to be able to read from my work PC, but it's gone wonky on my work PC.
i'm getting "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and
unreadable". short of reformatting the whole drive, how can i restore the
drive?

tks

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What OS's are both your work and home boxes running? Have you tried to
Import Foreign Media?

"ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What OS's are both your work and home boxes running?
both are running win2000 prof.

Have you tried to
> Import Foreign Media?

no, where is this option?

tks

"Dica" <genpub5@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What OS's are both your work and home boxes running?
> both are running win2000 prof.
>
> Have you tried to
> > Import Foreign Media?
>
> no, where is this option?
i googled "Import Foreign Media" and went to disk management, but don't see
the option when i right click the disk. any other ideas?

> tks
>

> > "Dica" wrote:
> >
> > > i've got a removable hard drive that i can read from fine on my home
PC
> and
> > > used to be able to read from my work PC, but it's gone wonky on my
work
> PC.
> > > i'm getting "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted
> and
> > > unreadable". short of reformatting the whole drive, how can i restore
> the
> > > drive?
> > >
> > > tks

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well you should be running XP for the import option to be there....sorry bout
that. How many other mahcines have you tried this drive in?

> Well you should be running XP for the import option to be there....sorry
bout
> that. How many other mahcines have you tried this drive in?

just one - my home PC. i've run checkdisk on the homePc and nothing wrong
found with the hard drive.