Creating Accounts

I have Windows 2000 AD domain. When I try to create a specific new account
in AD, I get the message that it cannot be created since it already exist in
the directory. However, I have search AD but I do not see it.

Is there any way/suggestion for how I can address this situation?

thanks.

See if you have any SID numbers as users. Normally you can see them in
Local Security if you do. They do not show up in Users and Computers. If
you have some remove them. I had one I found the other day that in nowhere
else did I see this SID user. Came accross it by happenstance.

This happens when you delete users and where the permissions they had are
still there.

Here are a few links that may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317097

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234051