how to set multi-site-2-site vpn with dynamic ip

tommychan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Hi all experts,

I want to create a VPN with my families and each of our family has its own broadband location (all with PPPOE dynamic ip broadband) at home, and each of us have already set up our own lan at home. Now we wants to link all the network together transparently and after some researches I know that there are routers that can links together using VPN and my brother's computer at his home will able to browse my computer at my home looks as same as browsing a computer at the same workgroup of the same network at home.

I also want to have my friend login and join the VPN (not permenant link) using PPTP server.

I and no people I know have never any experience setting up a VPN, I spent few weeks searchiing over the internet and not able to see anything related to my scenario, and so I am asking for help here.

I went and hunt for such a router and finally a shop keeper told me that the D-link DI-804HV router should suits my need as I am not connecting too many sites together (only 3 locations, so only 3 tunnels is needed), for maximum compatibility I bought 3 of them and start reading the manual, but it only say how to do with a fixed, static ip.

I am using ddns now so I supposed it can apply to dynamic ip vpn, but I don't see any luck. Anyway what I am saying is that after days of differnt settings and I never able to set it up and now I'm stuck and have no idea what to do. Could someone help?

Or am I getting a wrong router? If yes what equipment do I need? or I am doing something impossible?

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I am having some of the same issues with a Netgear VPN I just bought. I cannot get my client to connect to my endpoint. This is also my first time setting up a VPN and it is giving me quite the headache so far. If anyone can help me also I have a netgear prosafe VPN/Firewall (FVL-328) and Netgear VPN client software. I have tried using Microsux VPN client as well and cannot get either to connect.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ok, Thanks. I seem to have all the policys and stuff down but I cannot get a connection button to light up or whatnot. Hard to explain.

tommychan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Thanks all for the help, but can I have one thing cleared first: Am I getting a wrong router? I am asking this because I bought it already and I can refund it within 7 days after purchase.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks all for the help, but can I have one thing cleared first: Am I getting a wrong router? I am asking this because I bought it already and I can refund it within 7 days after purchase.

The router is fine.. you just need to configure it. Same as I.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
VPN setup are just difficult. And all mfg have there own tweeks.

The client software is suppose to preset things making it easier.

The best source seams to be forums on mfg sites, they know about the specifics.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I didn't find what processor is being used to handle the encryption?

I know on Netgears FVS338 & FVS538 have a seperate intel X-scale processor specificly for handling the encrypton. The low model are extremely slow.

chillpill

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Hi Guys

We have faced this issue so many times because in some regions ISPs are not providing static IP on ADSL, to resolve this issue we use dynip or ddns both software are perfect. But the problem is that you can easily create client VPN tunnel ( using client software) but some times you will face problem in site to site tunnel (BOT). problem is that firewalls/vpn routers some time don’t resolve the ddns address (abc.dyndns.com) because of this tunnel will be dropped, instead of address if you will provide dynamic IP tunnel will be connected. To get rid of this problem you have to configure the DNS settings in your VPN router or you have to do some thing what can resolve the ddns address.
As far as hardware is concern please check Nortel VPN Router/Firewall 221 and 250 both models are for home users. For complete portfolio please see www.nortel.com/products

cheers

CP