Print list of files in directory in ASCII

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 7, 2005 3:50:40 PM

Hello,

I have a directory of files (all bitmaps) that I need to access fairly
regularly to make changes or other corrections. Does anyone know of a way to
create a list of all of the files in this directory as an ASCII or some other
simplified file? The way I currently print out lists of files in directories
is to copy screenshots of the list into a Word document. This would be
impractical with this directory (which has over 14,000 files). Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:36:00 PM

Open a command prompt, change to the directory you want to list and type
"dir/b >dir.txt" without the quotes. The "/b" trims out all of the other
file info. The file dir.txt will contain a "bare" list of all of your
files.
Louis

"mmbflyr1" <mmbflyr1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a directory of files (all bitmaps) that I need to access fairly
> regularly to make changes or other corrections. Does anyone know of a way
> create a list of all of the files in this directory as an ASCII or some
other
> simplified file? The way I currently print out lists of files in
directories
> is to copy screenshots of the list into a Word document. This would be
> impractical with this directory (which has over 14,000 files). Any
> assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Michael
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:36:34 PM

"mmbflyr1" <mmbflyr1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a directory of files (all bitmaps) that I need to access fairly
> regularly to make changes or other corrections. Does anyone know of a way
> create a list of all of the files in this directory as an ASCII or some
other
> simplified file? The way I currently print out lists of files in
directories
> is to copy screenshots of the list into a Word document. This would be
> impractical with this directory (which has over 14,000 files). Any
> assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In a command window, to print a list of all files on drive C: (or any
sub-directory you choose) ending in ".bmp", simply type:

dir /s /b C: | find ".bmp" | print

Of course you may wish to just place the filenames in another file for some
sort of editing or import into another document, so just alter the above
command slightly to redirect the output to a file instead of the printer:

dir /s /b C:\in\this\directory | find ".bmp" > D:\your\directory\file
!