Net SEND command

If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who have not logged
in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was possible but
I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who were not logged
in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login to deliver
the message.
7 answers Last reply
More about send command

    I don't know for sure but it is easily tested.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168893

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who have not
    logged
    > in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was possible
    but
    > I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who were not
    logged
    > in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login to deliver
    > the message.

    If a machine is on and the messenger service is running, the message will be
    received even if no one has logged on yet. But there is no queue anywhere
    keeping track of who got the message and who didn't.

    Ray at work

    "" wrote:
    > If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who
    > have not logged
    > in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this
    > was possible but
    > I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who
    > were not logged
    > in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to
    > login to deliver
    > the message.

    asuming that you send it using a computer that is a member of the
    domain it should, it depends one your server config, i have little
    experiance with DC’s and AD’s, but i do know for this to work the DC
    must have messanger service enabled.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Net-command-ftopict554418.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760436

    >"]If a machine is on and the messenger service is running, the
    message
    >will be
    >received even if no one has logged on yet. But there is no queue
    >anywhere
    >keeping track of who got the message and who didn’t.
    >
    >Ray at work
    >
    >"Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who
    >have not
    >> logged
    >> in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was
    >possible
    >> but
    >> I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who
    >were not
    >> logged
    >> in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login
    >to deliver
    >> the message.

    Not exacly true, if you send it to a PC while no one is loged on, it
    will display it to the first person who logs on, how ever, if you send
    it to a user that is not logged on, the DC will send it to the first
    computer the user logs onto, asuming the DC alows for this, which by
    default it dose i belive.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Net-command-ftopict554418.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760735

    Is there a way to do a NET SEND (with a PC Powered up and not logged on) to
    ONLY those who are "actively" logged in and NOT allow later users who login
    to see the message? Or, if not, is there a Net Send like application that
    will allow us to accomplish this?

    Thanks in advance

    "Pearl" wrote:

    > If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who have not logged
    > in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was possible but
    > I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who were not logged
    > in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login to deliver
    > the message.

    NET SEND messages are not "stored" for later delivery. It is a
    "broadcast" system. If you are "on" you get it, if not, you don't.

    Pearl wrote:

    > Is there a way to do a NET SEND (with a PC Powered up and not logged on) to
    > ONLY those who are "actively" logged in and NOT allow later users who login
    > to see the message? Or, if not, is there a Net Send like application that
    > will allow us to accomplish this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > "Pearl" wrote:
    >

    >>If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who have not logged
    >>in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was possible but
    >>I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who were not logged
    >>in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login to deliver
    >>the message.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    That is what I thought, however, I have discovered that IF the PC remains on
    during the message and someone LATER logs in, it WILL display the message.
    So, even after several days IF the PC remained ON, a new login user will
    still get the message.

    "Pearl" wrote:

    > If I use NET SEND to /Users of our domain, will the users who have not logged
    > in today receive the message tomorrow? I did not think this was possible but
    > I am told that NET SEND will deliver its message to users who were not logged
    > in at the moment of the message and will wait for them to login to deliver
    > the message.

Command Prompt Microsoft Windows