help with X50v Odyssey Client program - no adapter

a b F Wireless
March 31, 2005 11:50:45 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to learn how
to use the wireless capabilities of my new X50v.

Is it possible to scan for wireless hotspots with the
Odyssey Client program?

I double click on the wireless button on the X50v which
brings up my wireless abitity. Then I soft reset, open
the program, hit enable Odyssey. The screen then
display "adapter not present".

My question is - what am I doing wrong?

TIA

New_to_wifi
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 1:01:57 AM

AFAIK the odessey client is used when connecting to WPA or 802.1x access
points.

rights...

"new_to_wifi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to learn how
> to use the wireless capabilities of my new X50v.
>
> Is it possible to scan for wireless hotspots with the
> Odyssey Client program?
>
> I double click on the wireless button on the X50v which
> brings up my wireless abitity. Then I soft reset, open
> the program, hit enable Odyssey. The screen then
> display "adapter not present".
>
> My question is - what am I doing wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> New_to_wifi
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 8:52:48 AM

you have to first open up the wifi part by clicking on the scale at
the bottom right of your screen
then hit the "turn on lan" button
then you open up the odyssey client
that it the adaptor its looking for
a lot of people just use the inbuilt lan s/ware and dont even open up
odyssey
stan

>AFAIK the odessey client is used when connecting to WPA or 802.1x access
>points.
>
>--
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 10:58:51 AM

Thank you, I will give it a try straight away!

April 1, 2005 1:27:52 PM

In message <e6jJ17lNFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Eric Hicks [MVP]"
<i'm@home.with.u> wrote:

> AFAIK the odessey client is used when connecting to WPA or 802.1x access
> points.

> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
The Odyssey Client will do that as well as wep and unsecured wifi connection
configurations.
> > Please excuse my ignorance, but I am trying to learn how
> > to use the wireless capabilities of my new X50v.
> >
> > Is it possible to scan for wireless hotspots with the
> > Odyssey Client program?

Yes, but imho it's not the best choice. I prefer pocket Winc for this.
www.cirond.com (Not free but free to try).

> > I double click on the wireless button on the X50v which
> > brings up my wireless abitity. Then I soft reset,

I don't have to do the soft reset at this point

open
> > the program, hit enable Odyssey. The screen then
> > display "adapter not present".

Here's the way I do it.
1. Turn on wifi with either the bar graph or the side button
2. Start Odyssey
3. Enable Odyssey
4. Adapter not present should change to disconnected (or connected) after
a few seconds.
> > My question is - what am I doing wrong?
As Eric said, the odyssey client is mainly intended for use on wifi networks
with enhanced security features such as wpa and 802.1x. Most, if not all
hotspots would not be using these as it would be too complicated for the
intended users to configure. If all you want to do is scan and/or connect
to public hotspots, then there are 2 ways to accomplish this.
1. Enable the wifi (without Odyssey) and when a wifi network is detected a
bubble will display. Then answer the prompts and allow the o/s to try and
handle the connection, or...
2. There are others that will work with other handhelds, but afaik, pocket
Winc is the only "scanner" that works with the x50's chip set. Using Winc...
1. Turn on wifi
2. launch Winc
3. When networks are detected they will appear in a list form with a signal
strength meter and an icon showing if it is an unsecured (no wep) or secured
network.
4. Tap and hold on the desired network and chose connect.
> > TIA

> > New_to_wifi
We all were at one time
Hth,
Dean
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 2:10:13 PM

Looks like it works - was able to connect to two
networks, but both said unavailable, so I assume they
were not public networks.

Thanks for the help!!

new_to_wifi

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 4:23:54 PM

Excellent!! Thank you both for your help - I think I can
do this, and will get the Winc program.

Thanks again!

new_to_wifi

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 4, 2005 11:52:25 AM

Just a follow up - Tried it this weekend, and it
worked!! Yes... Thanks for all your help, Dean, Stan,
and eric - starting to feel like a pro at this!!

new_to_wifi

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 4, 2005 7:14:14 PM

Glad to hear that you now have everything working. I know the feeling when
something just doesn't want to work for you then after you keep folling with
it you get it working. Well that's usually how it happens for me anyway.

> Just a follow up - Tried it this weekend, and it
> worked!! Yes... Thanks for all your help, Dean, Stan,
> and eric - starting to feel like a pro at this!!
>
> new_to_wifi

April 11, 2005 4:49:58 AM

In message <197f01c53925$e9ea0b50$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "new_to_wifi"
> Just a follow up - Tried it this weekend, and it
> worked!! Yes... Thanks for all your help, Dean, Stan,
> and eric - starting to feel like a pro at this!!
>
> new_to_wifi

I was just about to do a follow up also. I found a free utility that works
with the x50 (and others). It won't let you pick and choose like Winc does
but it will show you what's available and graphs the signal strength(s) in
real time. A nicely done and handy to have utility. Oh, and did I mention
it's freeware. I don't have the direct link but look for WiFi Graph at
www.pocketpcfreewares.com

Hth,
Dean

<Snip>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 11, 2005 10:48:29 AM

I just saw it last night! Was downloading a bunch and
saw it!! Thanks again

xfiler

!