16-bit compatibility problems?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

I use a little database program that has an old Paradox engine in it.
This is a 16-bit program that runs on Windows. It used to work fine on
Win 3.1 but Win2K seems to make it crash very occasionally, perhaps once
a month. This has been noted on several different machines, Pentium and
AMD CPUs, different amounts of physical memory and speeds, etc.

I'm wondering if Win2K and following has some old, dark corner concerned
with 16-bit apps that has been ignored. Maybe a victim of a missing
lock on multiple processes or an interrupt (i.e., timing) problem.

Thoughts?

More than likely the old DB engine, under some occasional circumstances,
attempts to manipulate some hardware directly which it could safely do
in a DOS environment...but cannot do in the NT-class "virtual machine"
protected environment. NT, W2k, et seq will kill such a process
instantly, by design, for the safety of other multitasked processes
including the system itself. This is a virtue. :)

Another way of saying this is that the DOS simulator in NT-class systems
is designed to support only well-behaved DOS apps. Well-behaved is
defined as software that uses standard DOS calls for ALL functions.
Clever machine-language coders long ago discovered that performance can
be significantly improved by NOT using DOS calls - and this clever code
is what gets trapped and killed in newer systems. Compute-intensive DOS
code, like good DB code, is a prime candidate for this sort of thing.

Stubby wrote:
> I use a little database program that has an old Paradox engine in it.
> This is a 16-bit program that runs on Windows. It used to work fine on
> Win 3.1 but Win2K seems to make it crash very occasionally, perhaps once
> a month. This has been noted on several different machines, Pentium and
> AMD CPUs, different amounts of physical memory and speeds, etc.
>
> I'm wondering if Win2K and following has some old, dark corner concerned
> with 16-bit apps that has been ignored. Maybe a victim of a missing
> lock on multiple processes or an interrupt (i.e., timing) problem.
>
> Thoughts?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Thanks, Dan. I believe you nailed it. What I really like about this
little phone book app is that it is very fast and very small, not to
mention it only cost $9.99. I dread the idea giving it up and finding a
stable program.

From: "Stubby" <William.Plummer*NOSPAM*@alum.mit.edu>

| I use a little database program that has an old Paradox engine in it.
| This is a 16-bit program that runs on Windows. It used to work fine on
| Win 3.1 but Win2K seems to make it crash very occasionally, perhaps once
| a month. This has been noted on several different machines, Pentium and
| AMD CPUs, different amounts of physical memory and speeds, etc.
|
| I'm wondering if Win2K and following has some old, dark corner concerned
| with 16-bit apps that has been ignored. Maybe a victim of a missing
| lock on multiple processes or an interrupt (i.e., timing) problem.
|
| Thoughts?

Have you tried setting the OS Compatibility mode in the link file associated with the
application ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You're welcome. Hope you find a way to keep that old horse handy...maybe
a cheap old PC running DOS/WIN3x ? :)

Stubby wrote:

> Thanks, Dan. I believe you nailed it. What I really like about this
> little phone book app is that it is very fast and very small, not to
> mention it only cost $9.99. I dread the idea giving it up and finding a
> stable program.
>

> Dan Seur wrote:
>
>> More than likely the old DB engine, under some occasional
>> circumstances, attempts to manipulate some hardware directly which it
>> could safely do in a DOS environment...but cannot do in the NT-class
>> "virtual machine" protected environment. NT, W2k, et seq will kill
>> such a process instantly, by design, for the safety of other
>> multitasked processes including the system itself. This is a virtue. :)
>>
>> Another way of saying this is that the DOS simulator in NT-class
>> systems is designed to support only well-behaved DOS apps.
>> Well-behaved is defined as software that uses standard DOS calls for
>> ALL functions. Clever machine-language coders long ago discovered that
>> performance can be significantly improved by NOT using DOS calls - and
>> this clever code is what gets trapped and killed in newer systems.
>> Compute-intensive DOS code, like good DB code, is a prime candidate
>> for this sort of thing.
>>
>> Stubby wrote:
>>
>>> I use a little database program that has an old Paradox engine in it.
>>> This is a 16-bit program that runs on Windows. It used to work fine
>>> on Win 3.1 but Win2K seems to make it crash very occasionally,
>>> perhaps once a month. This has been noted on several different
>>> machines, Pentium and AMD CPUs, different amounts of physical memory
>>> and speeds, etc.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if Win2K and following has some old, dark corner
>>> concerned with 16-bit apps that has been ignored. Maybe a victim of
>>> a missing lock on multiple processes or an interrupt (i.e., timing)
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OoZNRV9gFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dan Seur <click@casta.net> had this to say:

> You're welcome. Hope you find a way to keep that old horse
> handy...maybe a cheap old PC running DOS/WIN3x ? :)

Sorry to butt in but perhaps this is an alternative for the OP? (It's a bit
of a learning curve but not nearly what it used to be. Now it's pretty good
and fixes most of the pesky troubles with DOS in the newer OSes.) It's also
free, effective, and the closest thing on the planet to DOS emulation that
I've come across.

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

IMO that would not work. Win NT/etc. won't let old pgms call the IO
subsystem directly, no matter compatibility mode or not.