Use exsiting Harddrive with new hardware?? Possible?

MXBlaster23

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
My mom has a custom built computer for her business and it has getting to slow for her programs. I was thinking of installing a new motherboard, CPU and memory but was wondering if I could use the existing hard drive without formating it? I never built a computer before but installed alot of hardware and upgrade computers. Any advice would be appreciated!

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Well, took care of that. If you don't reinstall Windows you get a fascinating blue screen after ever Windows load, or before or something. It was a long time ago, but those scars will never heal from me.
-cm

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I did it more than once. From my Nforce 3 to Nforce 4 then to my present Intel 965P. It's doable. Uninstalled ALL drivers(Chipset\Video\lan\sound\cpu drivers\motherboard\sata(raid) and then did a "repair" after the new hardware was installed. Worked like a charm.

KTev

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
A new hard drive and clean install will be easier, quicker (performance and build), and more stable.

You can get a HDD cheap.

It also net you with an extra system to run linux on.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
You can transfer the HDD across without reinstalling windows - as mentioned, remove ALL hardware drivers, move HDD to new system, do a windows repair and install all drivers for new hardware.

Seriously, though. Back up any/all critical data, format the damn thing, install a fresh copy on the new hardware, and restore from backup. From a performance/maintenance/stability perspective, clean install will work best.

If you are changing chipset, it recommended to reinstall Windows.

Though it may work even if you don't reinstall. Performance will probably not be as good as with a reinstall.
If you get a blue screen of death, you should attempt a Windows repair.

MXBlaster23

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Alright Thanks guys for the advice!! I think she is just goin to buy a computer. Seems like it would be alot easier and cheaper or about the same money.