thanks

From: "bill s via WinServerKB.com" <forum@WinServerKB.com>

| I installed a Win2K server and have run into some DNS problems. The following
| problem is probably related but I am not sure.
| Getting on the web works but every once in a while I lose MSN.com. When I
| lose MSN.com I can still get to any other site but MSN.
| I set the DNS default on the workstations to the DC ip address and it seemed
| to work for three days or so and then I started losing MSN.com again but can
| still get to every other site but MSN.. same old......Frustrating Could this
| be related to the DNS problem I have..?? I know my firewalls are a bit of a
| culprit too but they don't seem to be the problem 100% of the time.
|
| thanks
|
| --

Try setting the DNS entries to the ISP DNS servers.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman wrote:
>From: "bill s via WinServerKB.com" <forum@WinServerKB.com>
>
>| I installed a Win2K server and have run into some DNS problems. The following
>| problem is probably related but I am not sure.
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>|
>| thanks
>
>Try setting the DNS entries to the ISP DNS servers.

Dave.....it worked. Thanks much. BUT.....when does one set DNS to point to
the server? It is only when you install and run your own DNS service???

Thanks again

From: "bill s via WinServerKB.com" <forum@WinServerKB.com>

| Dave.....it worked. Thanks much. BUT.....when does one set DNS to point to
| the server? It is only when you install and run your own DNS service???
|
| Thanks again
|
| --

Well, your DNS server should get information from the ISP DNS servers or from some other
authority. I "think" it is indicative of problems with your DNS server. By bypassing it
and using the ISP DNS servers you have shown there is a problem. How to resolve it... I
don't know. I haven't setup/maintained a MS DNS Service.