Event log corruption

Malcolm

I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an “event log
corrupt� error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
what’s going on?

SP1 installed?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Malcolm" wrote:
|I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an "event log
| corrupt" error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
| event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
| what's going on?

Did this problem happen after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1? Also do you
know if you have an Intel E1000 network card, or card with that chip?

If so, you should contact product support and describe your symptoms. They
should be able to help you.

alex

"Malcolm" wrote:

> I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an “event log
> corrupt� error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
> event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
> what’s going on?

Alex,
Is there now something more than just setting the NIC to full duplex?

--

"Alex Sutton [MSFT]" wrote:
| Did this problem happen after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1? Also do
you
| know if you have an Intel E1000 network card, or card with that chip?
|
| If so, you should contact product support and describe your symptoms. They
| should be able to help you.
|
| alex
|
| --
rights.

That is a workaround that can help. So try that first.

Product support is working on getting to the root cause of the problem
between the driver and the event log. Since it's still active there is no KB
yet.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Alex,
> Is there now something more than just setting the NIC to full duplex?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Alex Sutton [MSFT]" wrote:
> | Did this problem happen after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1? Also do
> you
> | know if you have an Intel E1000 network card, or card with that chip?
> |
> | If so, you should contact product support and describe your symptoms. They
> | should be able to help you.
> |
> | alex
> |
> | --
> | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

Thanks Alex

--

"Alex Sutton [MSFT]" wrote:
| That is a workaround that can help. So try that first.
|
| Product support is working on getting to the root cause of the problem
| between the driver and the event log. Since it's still active there is no
KB
| yet.
|
| --
rights.

Malcolm

Yes
--
Malcolm
MCSE

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> SP1 installed?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Malcolm" wrote:
> |I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an "event log
> | corrupt" error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
> | event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
> | what's going on?

Malcolm

I applyed sp1 right after installing 2003.
The system has a HP Gigabit nic.
--
Malcolm
MCSE

"Alex Sutton [MSFT]" wrote:

> Did this problem happen after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1? Also do you
> know if you have an Intel E1000 network card, or card with that chip?
>
> If so, you should contact product support and describe your symptoms. They
> should be able to help you.
>
> alex

> "Malcolm" wrote:
>
> > I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an “event log
> > corrupt� error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
> > event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
> > what’s going on?

I just checked and there is now a KB article posted on this issue at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899416

The problem occurs because the network adaptor drivers do not correctly set
the customer bit when publishing events to the event log.

There is a hot fix available to address this by calling product support (the
call should be free for the fix).

alex

"Malcolm" wrote:

> I applyed sp1 right after installing 2003.
> The system has a HP Gigabit nic.
> --
> Malcolm
> MCSE
> Little Rock, AR
>

> "Alex Sutton [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Did this problem happen after installing Windows Server 2003 SP1? Also do you
> > know if you have an Intel E1000 network card, or card with that chip?
> >
> > If so, you should contact product support and describe your symptoms. They
> > should be able to help you.
> >
> > alex
> >
> > --
> >

> > "Malcolm" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a 2003 member server on which I occasionally get an “event log
> > > corrupt� error when viewing the system event log locally. If I view the
> > > event log remotely everything is OK. Has anyone seen this or have an idea
> > > what’s going on?

Malcolm

Alex,
Thanks a lot, the KB article looks like they are talking about me. I'm
going to call MS for the hotfix.

Thanks again.
--
Malcolm