penciltester

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Hi everybody,

I'm a 2d animator thats about to upgrade from my abit vp6 dual p3 1ghz system.

I built this system awhile back and it has run 2d graphics programs and video editing programs pretty smoothly until late. So when I started looking to upgrade ,the landscape of processors had changed greatly. I've done some research on AMD and Intel but thought I would see what all of you have to say.

I'm looking at these processors:

AMD - athlon 64 x2 4200 am2

AMD - opteron 1214 2.2ghz dual-core

Pentium - core 2 duo e6400 2.13ghz

Pentium - xeon 5050 dual-core 3.0ghz

These are all priced about the same but I'm looking for opinions. Also, do I need to go with a Xeon or Opteron if I'm not working with 3d?

Any ideas or view points would be appreciated.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi everybody,

I'm a 2d animator thats about to upgrade from my abit vp6 dual p3 1ghz system.

I built this system awhile back and it has run 2d graphics programs and video editing programs pretty smoothly until late. So when I started looking to upgrade ,the landscape of processors had changed greatly. I've done some research on AMD and Intel but thought I would see what all of you have to say.

I'm looking at these processors:

AMD - athlon 64 x2 4200 am2

AMD - opteron 1214 2.2ghz dual-core

Pentium - core 2 duo e6400 2.13ghz

Pentium - xeon 5050 dual-core 3.0ghz

These are all priced about the same but I'm looking for opinions. Also, do I need to go with a Xeon or Opteron if I'm not working with 3d?

Any ideas or view points would be appreciated.

E6400, hands down, will dominate all of the other chips mentioned.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The Core 2 Duo isnt a Pentium, its a core 2 duo. The Pentium is a completly different cpu. Both are made by intel, thats pretty much the only similarity they have. The E6400 kicks the crap out of all the other cpu's you mentioned.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
And if the message isn't clear, from the owner of an AMD cpu, get the C2D E6400.

:) Honesty lovin' it. I am certain Baron would disagree --- he still recommends AMD :)

Wait Wait Wait... :p

I'll be BARON

"Well as the other have said(except jack cuz hes a bad bad man), the e6400 might have a slight advantage over the other processors mentioned, but what about motherboard costs?!!?!?!?

Anyway, you don't really need that kind of power anyway. Just go with a x2 3800. Only hardcore dev's like me need that power, and when i need power, i get quad FX."

:roll: :wink:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Wow, I actually thought Baron was posting for a second!

Classic use of the 'motherboard costs' right in the same post as glorifying QFX.

If only it were a parody...

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Classic use of the 'motherboard costs' right in the same post as glorifying QFX.

I think I'll change my avatar and see if people notice. :wink:

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Ahhh, crap. Who 5 star voted me. Now no one will believe I'm baron, he never gets a good vote...

:wink:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hahaha nice stuff!

Isn't the internet great - all we have for personality here is an 80x80 picture, some stupid screen name and either good or bad sense, and you've managed to capture all but the elusive screen name of BM in a few moments!

In non-internet terms you've just committed identity theft!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Ahhh, crap. Who 5 star voted me. Now no one will believe I'm baron, he never gets a good vote...

So sorry that was me, I found it quite funny.

Its ok jack :wink:

People in this thread already know, but i'll keep this up for a while in other threads, like that styrofoam one you just made. If you can try and play along, see who notices.

Anyone in this thread play along please. :p

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'll do my bit by voting you 1* all the time.

Who is it that actually bothers to do that for BM? Can't say I've done it since my earlier days as a forumer (forumist? forumizer?)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

So sorry that was me, I found it quite funny.

Its ok jack :wink:

People in this thread already know, but i'll keep this up for a while in other threads, like that styrofoam one you just made. If you can try and play along, see who notices.

Anyone in this thread play along please. :p

Yep, no big deal --- I hear impersonation is the highest form of flattery.Unfortunately Jack...you're right, and his "bigger than life" ego will eat this stuff up. :?

sailer

Splendid
And if the message isn't clear, from the owner of an AMD cpu, get the C2D E6400.

:) Honesty lovin' it. I am certain Baron would disagree --- he still recommends AMD :)

I was always taught that honestly was the best policy, unless a man was talking to his wife/girlfriend/mistress, as the case may be. :wink:

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Wait Wait Wait... :p

I'll be BARON

"Well as the other have said(except jack cuz hes a bad bad man), the e6400 might have a slight advantage over the other processors mentioned, but what about motherboard costs?!!?!?!?

Anyway, you don't really need that kind of power anyway. Just go with a x2 3800. Only hardcore dev's like me need that power, and when i need power, i get quad FX."

:roll: :wink:

Baron, what happened to your post count? :wink:

That's how I originally knew. Thought maybe the mods knocked it down for unruliness.