partition&page file

Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it up into 2
parts(30gb each)/the questions are :which of the 2 parts is used for virtual
memory(page file)?
should the one part contain just the OS?
Additionaly which is best :NTFS or FAT32 for my case?My OS is win xp pro sp2.
thanx in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about partition page file

    You should have left the drive as a single 60GB drive formatted NTFS. Keep
    the pagefile on the same partition as the system. If you put it on a
    separate partition on the same drive you just slow the system down by
    forcing the drive heads to move further to reach the page file. Things have
    changed in the last few years and the reasons people partitioned their
    drives years ago no longer apply.

    If you want the page file to be in a different place than the system, buy a
    second internal drive and put the page file on it. If the drives are IDE
    then they should be on different IDE controllers to gain an increase in
    performance.

    "psyke" <psyke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it up into 2
    > parts(30gb each)/the questions are :which of the 2 parts is used for
    > virtual
    > memory(page file)?
    > should the one part contain just the OS?
    > Additionaly which is best :NTFS or FAT32 for my case?My OS is win xp pro
    > sp2.
    > thanx in advance

    You have one drive? Leave the pagefile where it is installed by default!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "psyke" <psyke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it up into 2
    > parts(30gb each)/the questions are :which of the 2 parts is used for
    > virtual
    > memory(page file)?
    > should the one part contain just the OS?
    > Additionaly which is best :NTFS or FAT32 for my case?My OS is win xp pro
    > sp2.
    > thanx in advance

    (-;

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > (-;
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,

    > > You should have left the drive as a single 60GB drive formatted NTFS.
    > > Keep the pagefile on the same partition as the system. If you put it on a
    > > separate partition on the same drive you just slow the system down by
    > > forcing the drive heads to move further to reach the page file. Things
    > > have changed in the last few years and the reasons people partitioned
    > > their drives years ago no longer apply.
    > >
    > > If you want the page file to be in a different place than the system, buy
    > > a second internal drive and put the page file on it. If the drives are
    > > IDE then they should be on different IDE controllers to gain an increase
    > > in performance.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > "psyke" <psyke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it up into 2
    > >> parts(30gb each)/the questions are :which of the 2 parts is used for
    > >> virtual
    > >> memory(page file)?
    > >> should the one part contain just the OS?
    > >> Additionaly which is best :NTFS or FAT32 for my case?My OS is win xp pro
    > >> sp2.
    > >> thanx in advance

    i have one hdd.the volume with the os files has about one gb free space.does
    this mean that page file is on the other partition?Could this slow down
    performance?
    thanx once again

    The one GB free space would take the page file into account. You said you
    added a 60BG drive. Do you mean you are replacing a smaller drive with a
    new one? You need to say what size hard drive has only 1 GB left. One GB
    is not enough free space for the system to be able to write temp files and
    keep the disk defragmented. A drive or partition should have 10-15% left
    for free space for these needs. If you only have 1GB free space then I
    suspect that your hard drive will be running just about all the time.

    How much memory do you have? This affects the size and amount of usage the
    page file gets. The more memory, the less the page file gets written to and
    the less your hard drive has to work.

    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >
    >> (-;
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > You should have left the drive as a single 60GB drive formatted NTFS.
    >> > Keep the pagefile on the same partition as the system. If you put it
    >> > on a
    >> > separate partition on the same drive you just slow the system down by
    >> > forcing the drive heads to move further to reach the page file. Things
    >> > have changed in the last few years and the reasons people partitioned
    >> > their drives years ago no longer apply.
    >> >
    >> > If you want the page file to be in a different place than the system,
    >> > buy
    >> > a second internal drive and put the page file on it. If the drives are
    >> > IDE then they should be on different IDE controllers to gain an
    >> > increase
    >> > in performance.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    >> > "psyke" <psyke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    > i have one hdd.the volume with the os files has about one gb free
    > space.does
    > this mean that page file is on the other partition?Could this slow down
    > performance?
    > thanx once again

    First, consider how much RAM do you have. If it is enough, say, above 512
    Meg, XP will not use the pagefile much, so it does not matter where it is
    located. In fact, unless you run several memory-intensive programs, even
    256 Meg may be enough to avoid using the pagefile. Conversely, for editting
    high-resolution digital images, 1 Gig (or more) of RAM might be optimum.

    As for the partitioning, I suggest that you keep the two partitions, and try
    to move all your personal files (DOC, XLS, JPG, etc) to the non-system
    partition. That way you might have the option someday, if necessary, to
    re-install XP without losing all your data. Of course, an external backup
    is also a very good idea, especially with CDs and DVDs being cheap, and
    large USB hard drives being commonly available.

    As for the file system, NTFS can be more secure and it has some additional
    ability to fix itself (via the CHKDSK command and MFT). But, if you ever
    need to get data off of the drive, or do some manual repairs to files, FAT32
    would be simpler, since a DOS floppy can access a FAT32 drive. But, there
    are also repair/rescue solutions for NTFS drives, such as Bart's PE builder,
    and some small LINUX-on-CD downloads.

    The real choice of FAT32 vs NTFS comes down to whether you need to access
    the partition from another operating system, like 98, or LINUX. If yes,
    then you need FAT32. If no, and if file security is important, then NTFS
    would be better. Otherwise, flip a coin.

    In news:9F82495B-8D55-442B-9629-CCA5101D0A37@microsoft.com,
    psyke <psyke@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it
    > up
    > into 2 parts(30gb each)

    My question to you is why did you do this? I'm not necessarily
    saying it was a mistake, but rather than it should be done only
    if you have a clear cogent reason for doing so. It makes no sense
    to divide the drive into two partitions and *then* ask what
    should you use them for.

    > /the questions are :which of the 2 parts is
    > used for virtual memory(page file)?

    Normally it's on C: and that's best.

    > should the one part contain just the OS?

    Reverting to the point I started out with, if that was your
    intent, then you've made that partition much too large; that's
    one of the reasons for asking questions like this *before* you
    divide it.

    > Additionally which is best :NTFS or FAT32 for my case?

    Except for special situations, such as dual-booting with an older
    non-NTFS-aware operating system, NTFS is normally best.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    With the split you have watch the size of system restore on partition 1.
    You can set it lower than the default 12% of drive (partition). You
    might have done better to have made the first partition smaller and the
    second larger. Don't forget that using Partition Magic ( if v8) it is a
    relatively simple matter to resize partitions.

    I would put the system (including swap file ) and programmes files in
    partition 1 and place all data and other files ,ie. those which tend to
    fragment, in the second partition. This will simplify housekeeping and
    backing up. Make sure free space on both partitions is greater than 20%.

    FAT32 is wasteful of disk space on a large partition, although there are
    situations as others have mentioned when it is preferable.

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    psyke wrote:

    >Hi all.i have a hdd 60 gb.i ve used partition magic to tear it up into 2
    >parts(30gb each)/the questions are :which of the 2 parts is used for virtual
    >memory(page file)?
    >should the one part contain just the OS?

    Leave it where it is, in C:. That minimises time spent on seeking to
    get the heads to it; the slowest operation

    I would make it a bit unsymmetric; 16 to 20 GB at most to install system
    and programs (and page file) then move My Documents to the other,
    larger, partition

    See my pages www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm on considerations for the
    page file, and www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfs.htm for FAT vs NTFS

Windows XP