Win2000 install hangs at Setup is starting Windows 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 9, 2005 6:05:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'm doing a clean install of Win2000 on a new box. It has a new Asus A7V880,
Athlon 3000. Win98 installed and runs just fine. I go to install Win2000, it
copies files, reboots, loads the different components and gets to the point
where it says "Setup is starting Windows 2000" and it hangs. I cannot get it
to go past this point. This is a bar bones system, a Maxtor 10GB IDE drive,
a new memorex cd player, tnt vanta video card, onboard lan and sound. How
can I trouble shoot this? I'm not sure what to do to get it to continue.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:23:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...

Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ook" wrote:
| I'm doing a clean install of Win2000 on a new box. It has a new Asus
A7V880,
| Athlon 3000. Win98 installed and runs just fine. I go to install Win2000,
it
| copies files, reboots, loads the different components and gets to the
point
| where it says "Setup is starting Windows 2000" and it hangs. I cannot get
it
| to go past this point. This is a bar bones system, a Maxtor 10GB IDE
drive,
| a new memorex cd player, tnt vanta video card, onboard lan and sound. How
| can I trouble shoot this? I'm not sure what to do to get it to continue.

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:31:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'm booting from install CD. I'm installing into a fat32 partition,
something I've done many times. The drive controller is whatever is on the
motherboard, most likely ata100 and does not require additional drivers.

I've done this dozens of time, wtf? I finally got tired of playing with it,
and put XP on the box because I just don't have time to figure out why
Win2000 won't load. XP installed just fine, go figure?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
news:o 8b6$xMhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
> setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
> partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
> setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
> inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller
> detection,
> and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted
> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
> controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
> network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
>
> Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> | I'm doing a clean install of Win2000 on a new box. It has a new Asus
> A7V880,
> | Athlon 3000. Win98 installed and runs just fine. I go to install
> Win2000,
> it
> | copies files, reboots, loads the different components and gets to the
> point
> | where it says "Setup is starting Windows 2000" and it hangs. I cannot
> get
> it
> | to go past this point. This is a bar bones system, a Maxtor 10GB IDE
> drive,
> | a new memorex cd player, tnt vanta video card, onboard lan and sound.
> How
> | can I trouble shoot this? I'm not sure what to do to get it to continue.

July 9, 2005 9:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You'll need to F6 and supply the manufacturer's controller driver.

--

"Ook" wrote:
| I'm booting from install CD. I'm installing into a fat32 partition,
| something I've done many times. The drive controller is whatever is on the
| motherboard, most likely ata100 and does not require additional drivers.
|
| I've done this dozens of time, wtf? I finally got tired of playing with
it,
| and put XP on the box because I just don't have time to figure out why
| Win2000 won't load. XP installed just fine, go figure?
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:55:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

AFAIK, the IDE controller on the mobo does not require any additional
drivers. But it's an academic topic now - XP loaded up just fine, and that
frees up this Win2000 license for another box. Thanks for the help :)

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
news:o BcVGoNhFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You'll need to F6 and supply the manufacturer's controller driver.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> | I'm booting from install CD. I'm installing into a fat32 partition,
> | something I've done many times. The drive controller is whatever is on
> the
> | motherboard, most likely ata100 and does not require additional drivers.
> |
> | I've done this dozens of time, wtf? I finally got tired of playing with
> it,
> | and put XP on the box because I just don't have time to figure out why
> | Win2000 won't load. XP installed just fine, go figure?

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Yes for future reference you'll need the controller driver for Windows 2000.
You're welcome.

--

"Ook" wrote:
| AFAIK, the IDE controller on the mobo does not require any additional
| drivers. But it's an academic topic now - XP loaded up just fine, and that
| frees up this Win2000 license for another box. Thanks for the help :)
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:40:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Of all the Asus mobo based systems I've installed Win2000 on that did not
need these drivers, why does this one require a controller driver when none
of the others did? Do you know for at fact that this particular model
requires these?

> Yes for future reference you'll need the controller driver for Windows
> 2000.
> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> | AFAIK, the IDE controller on the mobo does not require any additional
> | drivers. But it's an academic topic now - XP loaded up just fine, and
> that
> | frees up this Win2000 license for another box. Thanks for the help :)

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

See if you find it here.

--

!