How is the iPaq rx3115?

March 31, 2005 4:19:59 PM

Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it use
the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
look better? And how is the battery life on it?

Preston

More about : ipaq rx3115

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:52:44 PM

On 2005-03-31, Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it use
> the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
> look better? And how is the battery life on it?
>
> Preston

Anyone? Any MVPs want to help me out in picking a Pocket PC?

Preston
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:37:35 PM

Preston,

Have you taken a look at the Pocket PC Magazine's Buyer's Guide? You can
find it on their site, http://www.pocketpcmag.com. It is hard to say if
this is the "best" or which is the best as that is greatly dependent on how
you use the device. See if that guide will help.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
> Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it use
> the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
> look better? And how is the battery life on it?
>
> Preston
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:46:26 PM

On 2005-03-31, Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com! <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote:
> Preston,
>
> Have you taken a look at the Pocket PC Magazine's Buyer's Guide? You can
> find it on their site, http://www.pocketpcmag.com. It is hard to say if
> this is the "best" or which is the best as that is greatly dependent on how
> you use the device. See if that guide will help.
>
> Regards,

I have. Thanks for the link, though. The problem with that site is they
lump the rx3115 and rx3715 together. However those two have different
battery sizes, I believe. So it's hard to know what you're getting out of
the rx3115 from that review.

Preston
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:25:48 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:52:44 -0600, Preston Crawford
<me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-31, Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>> Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it use
>> the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
>> look better? And how is the battery life on it?
>>
>> Preston
>
>Anyone? Any MVPs want to help me out in picking a Pocket PC?

I suspect they'll remain mostly silent - in the end it's entirely your
own decision because unlike many devices PDAs seem to be quite a
personal decision, so styling, price, screen dynamics, weight,
expandability, capacity, customer support levels and many other things
come into play. Nobody can really advise you in anything other than a
generic way - they can only tell you of *their* experiences ;-))

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:25:49 AM

On 2005-03-31, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:52:44 -0600, Preston Crawford
><me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-03-31, Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>>> Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it use
>>> the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
>>> look better? And how is the battery life on it?
>>>
>>> Preston
>>
>>Anyone? Any MVPs want to help me out in picking a Pocket PC?
>
> I suspect they'll remain mostly silent - in the end it's entirely your
> own decision because unlike many devices PDAs seem to be quite a
> personal decision, so styling, price, screen dynamics, weight,
> expandability, capacity, customer support levels and many other things
> come into play. Nobody can really advise you in anything other than a
> generic way - they can only tell you of *their* experiences ;-))
>
> Cheers - Neil

I understand that. Although I would like to hear about battery life.
That's pretty objective based on a basic usage pattern (PDA usage only).

Preston
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:37:29 AM

Reply to message from Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> (Thu, 31
Mar 2005 15:39:51) about ""Re: How is the iPaq rx3115?"":

> I understand that. Although I would like to hear about battery life.
> That's pretty objective based on a basic usage pattern (PDA usage only).

In another thread you said that you cannot handle the 3115 display, so any
advice on this unit is probably a moot point. However, with that said I
like the 3115, bang for the buck. Battery life with the extended battery is
quite good, and makes the wireless capabilities come to life without
rationing usage. For example, as I type this with wireless on, screen
brightness 3/4 up the power meter (start/setting/power/standby) reports the
following: with a 60 hr reserve, 75% battery with 14.8 hours of runtime
left. The 300mhz processor works fine with videos of 600+ bitrate while
being easier on batteries. ( I tried faster units side by side using a
video I had on a card and could tell no discernable difference. A faster
video may show a difference but that bitrate for me has been a good
tradeoff for quality vs size. )

Please Note that the stock battery for the rx3115 is 900 ma, while the
extended is 2885 ma, more than three times the capacity. It really gives a
solid run time in the field.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:41:56 AM

On 2005-04-01, xTenn <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote:
> Reply to message from Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> (Thu, 31
> Mar 2005 15:39:51) about ""Re: How is the iPaq rx3115?"":
>

> > I understand that. Although I would like to hear about battery life.
> > That's pretty objective based on a basic usage pattern (PDA usage only).
>
> In another thread you said that you cannot handle the 3115 display, so any
> advice on this unit is probably a moot point. However, with that said I

It's actually not. Funny story. So last night I thought that with some
tweaking to the settings the rz1715 might work for me. Got it home and it
had a stuck pixel. Took it back in and was about to get the Palm Zire 31
and resign myself to that. Then I noticed something really odd. This
PocketPC that I thought was really gorgeous the day before (HP iPaq
hx2755) suddenly looked as bad (to me) as the rz1715. Then I remembered
from the day before that it was turned on landscape mode. So I switched it
and suddenly it looks good. Do the same with the rz1715. Looks good.

They only have one rx3115 left so I have a choice now. Buy the Zire 31 for
$150 plus the cost of a case. A PDA which has a screen I dislike as much
as the iPaq turned upright, or buy an iPaq and just use it in landscape
mode more often (which I prefer anyway and didn't realize was so easy to
pop into and stay in - one Palm I owned would go into landscape mode but
not stay there).

I decided, in the end, to get the rx3115. I don't really sync my Palms
with my Linux desktop anymore because of frequent duplications (a reason I
used Palm for a while) and with the screen now looking better, suddenly
the iPaq had a huge leg up. It really (to me) looks much better, much less
reflective, in landscape mode. So I went with the iPaq. My wife keeps a
copy of VMWare with Windows running 24/7 now anyway to sync a diet
tracking app with with her Palm, so there's no reason not to use a Pocket
PC now. Before I would have had to boot up VMWare or multi-boot. Now I
have Windows running all the time, even if it's running in the background,
anyway.

I didn't get another rz1715 in part because of things I'd read about its
memory, but also because the nearest Staples with an rz1715 was 10 miles
away and between gas, time in the car and the minimal price difference
(rx3115 comes with a case, the rz1715 doesn't, and since I bike commute a
case is a must and so the price of the rz1715 suddenly grows by $20) I
decided it was worth the extra $80 so I could have the removable battery
option and the option of using wifi at a hotspot someday. I don't use it
at home and don't plan on it, but maybe someday I'll make use of it at a
hotspot.

Anyway, I'm happy with it so far. The screen, from this angle, looks fine.
I really wish there was a better option that didn't cost as much as VGA,
but wasn't transflective (someone will have to explain to me, since I'm a
little Rip Van Winkle on this issue) why transflective screens are better
than the screens in the old Pocket PCs from a few years ago. Maybe I'll
get used to it eventually. Either way in this mode for now it looks fine.
I'm happy.

Now my big challenge is how to accurately get my data from Palm
Desktop to Outlook. I've found a dozen innacurate ways to do this.
Everything from CSV files that doesn't properly order the fields to
importing and exporting via Yahoo, which is nice, but misses multi-email
addresses and things like that. Hopefully there's a painless solution out
there. Right now it appears the least painful, as crazy as this sounds, is
methodically (or programatically perhaps, using PHP or something) breaking
up a vcard exported from Palm Desktop into lots of little vcards that I
can then reimport back into Outlook.

> like the 3115, bang for the buck. Battery life with the extended battery is
> quite good, and makes the wireless capabilities come to life without
> rationing usage. For example, as I type this with wireless on, screen
> brightness 3/4 up the power meter (start/setting/power/standby) reports the
> following: with a 60 hr reserve, 75% battery with 14.8 hours of runtime

What's battery life like normally? I don't imagine I'll have the money
for the bigger battery for a while. At least not a few months down the
road. I just got a new job. I imagine I will mostly use it for PDA stuff
for now. Maybe the occassional MP3 or wifi usage.

> Please Note that the stock battery for the rx3115 is 900 ma, while the
> extended is 2885 ma, more than three times the capacity. It really gives a
> solid run time in the field.

Thanks. I'll see how it goes. I don't plan on using it for much beyond PDA
stuff. If I use it more I'll adjust accordingly. I lived for like a year
and a half with a Sharp Zaurus that I had to charge on both ends of my
commute because it lasted like 2 or 3 hours a day. So assuming the 900 ma
battery is at least that good, I imagine I'll be fine.

Preston
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:37:49 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:52:44 -0600, Preston Crawford
> <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-03-31, Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>>> Still trying to find a PDA that suits me. What about this one? Does it
>>> use
>>> the same screen as the rz1715 or is there a reason to believe it might
>>> look better? And how is the battery life on it?
>>>
>>> Preston
>>
>>Anyone? Any MVPs want to help me out in picking a Pocket PC?
>
> I suspect they'll remain mostly silent - in the end it's entirely your
> own decision because unlike many devices PDAs seem to be quite a
> personal decision, so styling, price, screen dynamics, weight,
> expandability, capacity, customer support levels and many other things
> come into play. Nobody can really advise you in anything other than a
> generic way - they can only tell you of *their* experiences ;-))

Mostly true :)  It will depend of your usage, personal preferences in style,
etc Most of the time you can get pointers and personal opinions - but you
have to go to a shop or check on-line for reviews and then decide.

If you want to see how one model or another performs, check our Performance
page:

That should give you some orientation too.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:17:29 PM

> Anyway, I'm happy with it so far. The screen, from this angle, looks fine.
> I really wish there was a better option that didn't cost as much as VGA,
> but wasn't transflective (someone will have to explain to me, since I'm a
> little Rip Van Winkle on this issue) why transflective screens are better
> than the screens in the old Pocket PCs from a few years ago. Maybe I'll
> get used to it eventually. Either way in this mode for now it looks fine.
> I'm happy.

Yeah, the VGA screen is sharp, no mistakes about that. It is most
noticeable when you hold the units side by side and rotate them slightly,
but the cost is just a bit prohibitive for something I tend to scratch up,
regardless of protection attempts.

BTW, I have read that some screen protectors with a "paper" feel to them
soften the display a bit - I wonder if this might help with sensitive screen
viewing? IF it is sensitivity to scanning/refresh speed it might not, but
something to consider.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:17:30 PM

On 2005-04-01, xTenn <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote:

> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Anyway, I'm happy with it so far. The screen, from this angle, looks fine.
>> I really wish there was a better option that didn't cost as much as VGA,
>> but wasn't transflective (someone will have to explain to me, since I'm a
>> little Rip Van Winkle on this issue) why transflective screens are better
>> than the screens in the old Pocket PCs from a few years ago. Maybe I'll
>> get used to it eventually. Either way in this mode for now it looks fine.
>> I'm happy.
>

> Yeah, the VGA screen is sharp, no mistakes about that. It is most
> noticeable when you hold the units side by side and rotate them slightly,
> but the cost is just a bit prohibitive for something I tend to scratch up,
> regardless of protection attempts.
>
> BTW, I have read that some screen protectors with a "paper" feel to them
> soften the display a bit - I wonder if this might help with sensitive screen
> viewing? IF it is sensitivity to scanning/refresh speed it might not, but
> something to consider.

Yeah. I think in the end, though, the problem is actually the
transreflective nature of the screen. i.e. What I'm seeing that's unusual
is the reflecting light. Thus the shimmeriness (is that a word?) of the
graphics. Like I said, I turn it sideways and it looks fine. Odd.

Preston
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:22:35 PM

>Now my big challenge is how to accurately get my data from Palm
>Desktop to Outlook

Use chapura's pocket mirror that came on your palm disk, to hotsync your
palm with outlook instead of palm desktop, once your info is in outlook,
your good to go.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:44:47 PM

On 2005-04-01, KDE <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Now my big challenge is how to accurately get my data from Palm
>>Desktop to Outlook
>
> Use chapura's pocket mirror that came on your palm disk, to hotsync your
> palm with outlook instead of palm desktop, once your info is in outlook,
> your good to go.

Unfortunately I don't have my Palm any longer. Otherwise I'd just use it,
probably. Given how poor the market for PDAs is these days. In the end
what I did is I exported in VCard format from Palm Desktop and then parsed
this file using a small PHP script into a bunch of little VCards that I
imported into Outlook.

Preston
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:44:48 PM

Chapura also has a product called pocketcopy:
http://www.chapura.com/pocketcopy.php
which exports your PIM data directly from palm desktop to Outlook (no palm
required)
it cost $19.95 but may be worth it when compared to the thoughts of beaming
each individual item from one to the other or re-entering all your data by
hand.
(I've never used it though so I cant say whether or not it works well.)

!