Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WHich is better?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 4, 2007 2:02:41 AM

I am getting a new mobo and cpu, and I want to know if I should continue using my SB Live Platinum pci card for sound or if I should use the onboard. Which will give me better performance/sound quality?

Here is what I am getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Thanks for any advice.

More about : question

January 4, 2007 11:22:35 AM

Your sound card will give you better sound and will also take a load off the CPU.
January 4, 2007 12:36:42 PM

Quote:
Your sound card will give you better sound and will also take a load off the CPU.

Thanks Evongugg. The card is about 7-8 years old, so I wasn't sure if the technology on the mobo would be better.
Related resources
January 4, 2007 12:43:44 PM

being that the MOBO uses a Via chipset whcih is not known for "Hi Def" sound, I would get the sound card.
January 4, 2007 12:58:33 PM

Quote:
being that the MOBO uses a Via chipset whcih is not known for "Hi Def" sound, I would get the sound card.


So, let say that I don't really care about the sound "quality" but I am more concerned with the performance. Does my SB Live Platinum actually remove stress from the CPU? Or is it one of those cards that uses the CPU as it DSP? And on that note, does the onboard use the CPU? IF so, then I am definately better off using the SB card, since it will sound better.

Thanks again.
January 8, 2007 2:13:27 AM

Here are the specs for that on-board sound:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?La...

Not too impressive. Realtek audio has always been problematic for me.

If anything I would recommend a different mobo but I'm not sure what your applications are and there are different sections of the forumz for that kind of stuff. Of course with almost ANY motherboard out there I would probably still recommend using the creative solution over onboard.
January 8, 2007 3:01:00 AM

Your not going to find many motherboards at all with anything besides realtek on board sound. just FYI
January 9, 2007 12:23:37 AM

Quote:
I am getting a new mobo and cpu, and I want to know if I should continue using my SB Live Platinum pci card for sound or if I should use the onboard. Which will give me better performance/sound quality?

Here is what I am getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Thanks for any advice.


You will definitely be better off with your sb live platnium,hells bells i'm using a sb live 5.1 with my logitech speakers ,see no reason to change...:) 
!