Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing an Intel E6400

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 4, 2007 2:24:50 AM

Hi, I just received my new video card and CPU today, and am having a lot of trouble deciding whether my CPU is DOA or if something else is amiss. I know that I have the right socket (LGA 775), but the computer refuses to boot up when the new CPU is in. Do I need to format my hard drive completely to get this CPU working, or is there something else I can do? Also, I'm actually pretty sure that I felt a static shock when I touched the CPU which had been sitting on a table for a minute or so. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

More about : installing intel e6400

January 4, 2007 2:35:51 AM

o my! all you need to do is touch the metal case de-shock yourself. if you felt a shock more then likely u fried it! if you get the post screen and no boot then the cpu is properly ok?

next time - wire your wrist, turn down the heat - or just run a humidifier for a few hours and touch some metal before you touch the cpu!

you might need bios update if the cpu fan does not spin then again it sounds like u fried it! if your system starts up and bios works and you got graphics but no boot try a new boot sector -

repair with windows cd, go dos screen - type fixboot /c: - it might work - but i never tried it!

http://www.warpedsystems.net/ --->"the need4speed"

4.25 ghz systems in 2003-4
4.6ghz systems 2005-6

down hill in 07 but quad cpu @3.6ghz
January 4, 2007 2:43:21 AM

Whoops, accident. The computer never actually comes on. The monitor doesn't receive a signal, nothing. So it has nothing to do with reformatting the hard drive? Will the static shock make me not applicable for a return, generally? (well, I can't see how they'd know, but...)

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Related resources
January 4, 2007 2:58:14 AM

Quote:
Whoops, accident. The computer never actually comes on. The monitor doesn't receive a signal, nothing. So it has nothing to do with reformatting the hard drive? Will the static shock make me not applicable for a return, generally? (well, I can't see how they'd know, but...)

Thanks for the speedy reply.


When you say it doesn't come on....does ANYTHING get power? CDrom drives, fans, etc? Anything in the case?

Open the side panel and watch if your not sure.
January 4, 2007 2:58:29 AM

Quote:
Hi, I just received my new video card and CPU today, and am having a lot of trouble deciding whether my CPU is DOA or if something else is amiss. I know that I have the right socket (LGA 775), but the computer refuses to boot up when the new CPU is in. Do I need to format my hard drive completely to get this CPU working, or is there something else I can do? Also, I'm actually pretty sure that I felt a static shock when I touched the CPU which had been sitting on a table for a minute or so. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance,

Michael


You do know that the motherboard has to be a recent model with Intel 965 or Nvidia i680; or Intel 975 or 945 but with the right Bios and hardware support to work with C2D? Most motherboards don't, particularly anything made before July 2006. What IS your motherboard?
January 4, 2007 3:21:29 AM

ASUS P5LD2-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

uh oh...
January 4, 2007 3:22:32 AM

well most likely its bios issue - check the bios on the mobo box then research the makers forums of call them. you need a floppy and another computer to do a bios update.

if the static happened between the chip and your hand and the computer then its maybe fried - if you shocked while it was on its fried for sure!

if the chip is fried i would sent it back asap - but first research the bios issue - best thing is to get a better board by checking neweggs feedback for other c2d builds.

my kid had his case door off and just got his hand neat the gpu card and static shock took out the video card and mobo - wsouthbridge the chip was burnt but it was on at the time. i got the video card replace under warranty - the gpu from xfx "Gogo xfx". The crappy abit board is in its box still replaced with a killer overclocking asus p4p800-se "the best 478 board made"

if it is fried they may give you a new chip?????? why not xfx gave me one!
January 4, 2007 3:24:09 AM

call asus tomorrow at 10-11 or better yet at 2-3pm - not so busy then. or check the bios on the box - thats a new board and should work fine!

i say u fried the cpu
January 4, 2007 3:28:59 AM

Quote:
ASUS P5LD2-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

uh oh...


It has to be Revision 2 to work, the first version of that board will NOT support C2D, nohow.
January 4, 2007 3:29:04 AM

"if the static happened between the chip and your hand and the computer then its maybe fried - if you shocked while it was on its fried for sure!"

The chip was on a plastic surface and a static shock resulted from touching it. The computer was never involved.
January 4, 2007 3:31:34 AM

Quote:
"if the static happened between the chip and your hand and the computer then its maybe fried - if you shocked while it was on its fried for sure!"

The chip was on a plastic surface and a static shock resulted from touching it. The computer was never involved.


Send it to me, I'll test it for you!

Seriously, without a supporting motherboard, you won't be able to tell whether the chip works or not! You can only have someone test it for you for free. (Unless someone is generous and donates a motherboard...)
January 4, 2007 3:45:54 AM

you fried it - all the static went into the chip - check the bios to make sure.

buy a used chip on ebay and pop it in the mobo - elcheapo 775 p4 - i think new egg has 775 chips for $35 craparons or cellofons or something!
January 4, 2007 3:55:51 AM

as you can see there is 2 updates for bios - so your chip may be ok!!!!

see both bios updates show cpu's added - newegg sells old boards i know i bought alot of them and had the reload bios -- wrong bios the cpu fan is dead.


Version 1102 2006/11/24 update



Description P5LD2-VM BIOS version 1102
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
Enhance USB Flash compatibility
Fixed Onboard VGA Controller can't be disable if nVidia 7950GX2 is installed



File Size 445.77 (KBytes)



Download from Global USA Europe China






DOS

Version 0803 2006/07/12 update



Description P5LD2-VM BIOS version 0803
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
January 4, 2007 3:56:25 AM

Quote:
you fried it - all the static went into the chip - check the bios to make sure.

buy a used chip on ebay and pop it in the mobo - elcheapo 775 p4 - i think new egg has 775 chips for $35 craparons or cellofons or something!


Before we get the guy panicking, first we have to ascertain the board supports that chip, secondly, it's a dead system, there could very well be other causes.

Yes static will fry a chip, I damaged a Slot 1 once on a dry winter's day, and for weeks after the system would frequently Bluescreen until the chip just went altogether.
January 4, 2007 4:58:22 AM

No, no, I still have my old CPU, and that works fine. The fans, the lights, the whole case turns on. The system is most certainly not dead, as I am using it right now with the old CPU. I'll check into those drivers, thanks alot.

Michael
January 4, 2007 5:09:52 AM

Well, if it works with the old CPU but no with the bnew, sounds like a CPU problem :S When did you buy your motherboard?

Oh, and by the way, an E6400 is not a Pentium, it's part of Intel's Core 2 Duo line.
January 4, 2007 5:18:50 AM

Purchased mobo on 3/17/2006. Whoops, didn't realize about the E6400..

Michael
January 4, 2007 5:31:53 AM

Okay, I'm gonna have to update BIOS tomorrow afternoon, at which time I'll post an update. Thanks!

Michael
Anonymous
January 4, 2007 6:10:51 AM

LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Processors
Intel® EM64T / EIST / Hyper-Threading Technology

*Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor



Version 1102 2006/11/24 update
Description P5LD2-VM BIOS version 1102
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
Enhance USB Flash compatibility
Fixed Onboard VGA Controller can't be disable if nVidia 7950GX2 is installed

Hope this helps.
January 4, 2007 10:53:57 AM

Quote:
LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Processors
Intel® EM64T / EIST / Hyper-Threading Technology

*Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor



Version 1102 2006/11/24 update
Description P5LD2-VM BIOS version 1102
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
Enhance USB Flash compatibility
Fixed Onboard VGA Controller can't be disable if nVidia 7950GX2 is installed

Hope this helps.


Yes I said that, that it had to be Revision 2. And having been made in March that motherboard will never support C2D, problem solved.
January 4, 2007 11:01:50 AM

Quote:
you fried it - all the static went into the chip - check the bios to make sure.

buy a used chip on ebay and pop it in the mobo - elcheapo 775 p4 - i think new egg has 775 chips for $35 craparons or cellofons or something!


Yes static will fry a chip, I damaged a Slot 1 once on a dry winter's day, and for weeks after the system would frequently Bluescreen until the chip just went altogether.

:)  :)  You ESDed a slot 1 -- but there isn't any circuitry exposed, could you explain this to Baron please :) 

I brushed my finger against the edge contacts when about to position the chip back into the socket after changing a noisy cooler fan, and felt the discharge. It was a PIII-600. I bought a replacement chip for $70 for the system, which is what I'm on right now, a real workhorse. That's the only problem I've had with the system (other than that fan going) in eight years, and the trouble started right after that spark.
January 4, 2007 3:59:04 PM

Okay, so there's not even need to install the new BIOS? I just have to get a new mobo supporting the C2D CPUs?
January 4, 2007 4:18:13 PM

Quote:
Okay, so there's not even need to install the new BIOS? I just have to get a new mobo supporting the C2D CPUs?


Well it would be cheaper if the motherboard would support the C2D with just a Bios flash, but you don't seem to have that option. So yes, pick a nice new motherboard and memory and try to keep the parts together to still have a complete older system.
January 4, 2007 4:30:00 PM

Heh, well I'll probably just use my current memory setup (asus 2x1gig), but thanks for that input. Can anyone offer any advice on a good, but relatively cheap mobo with C2D support? I probably can manage a $200 max, but a tad less would be even nicer.

I'll still try the BIOS updating procedure they offered me on the website, just in case, but it seems that's likely not going to help, so..advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
!