Sign in with
Your question

My brand new 7950 GT is locking up hard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2007 3:05:15 AM

Hey all,

I just installed my brand new 7950 GT (the BFG OC'ed version), upgrading from my old 6800 GT. Well, now that I have the new card installed, I'm experiencing system lock ups in any game I play (I've tried 3 different ones). These tend to happen within 5 to 10 minutes of playing, depending on the game (Oblivion seems to do it the fastest). It's worth noting that my PC is NOT rebooting, however. It's just freezing up. I never had any problems of this nature with my old 6800. I've been on the phone with BFG support, and they suggested installing the older 91.47 forceware drivers (I was using the 93.71). They also suggested reinstalling DX9, both of which I've done.

Any one have any ideas? I suspect the problem is either an overheating core, or a defective card. Below are my system specs:

P4 3.2 GHz (w/ HT)
2GB PC3200 RAM
BFG 7950 GT OC
80 GB SATA HDD
Soundblaster Audigy
16x DVD-ROM
500w PSU w/ ONE 34A +12v rail

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
January 4, 2007 2:45:06 PM

What are the temps of the video card under a load? Your power supply looks fine, so I doubt that is the problem. Try using nvtune, rivatuner or coolbits to underclock the video card. Try 10mhz at a time and see if that stops the lock ups. If so then you may need an RMA. Let us know.

XFX Support
January 5, 2007 2:37:08 PM

Thanks for the response, XFX Support.

I actually was running RivaTuner in logging mode. The GPU core was running @ around 56 celcius, and reaching 76c after about 5 minutes under heavy load. The lock ups would generally happen around that time.

Are these temps normal?
January 5, 2007 6:16:44 PM

sounds like a good old protection of heating in the vcard bios.
the core volts are turned down to save the card and results the game freezes
use this to read your vcard bios

use this to read your bios and see what the limit in temptures are the vga bios will override any software driven monitor for protection.
!