Server Intermittently Dropping off Network

mark

Hi
This is my setup. A W2K DC server running DNS and DHCP that also has
Exchange and ISA server running on it. A seperate W2K file and print server.
At the weekend, the file and print server crashed and had to be rebuilt and
rejoined the domain. The only problem is now it appears to stop enabling
connections to its shares intermittently and there are no error message
unless I disable and then re-enable the network card at which point I get
error 2504 and 2505 about being unable to bind to tcp/ip because of a
computer on the network with the same name. There isnt! To try and resolve
this issue so far, I have taken it out of the domain and rejoined it.
Renamed it and given it a new IP but I am still getting the same problems.
Reinstalled the protocols on the NIC. I cleared out any entries in DNS before
I did these as well and I am not running WINS. I get the feeling Im missing
something but Im not sure what!!
Thanks for any help in advance
Mark

Here are few trouble shooting steps that i feel may solve your probelm.

1. Check if your LAN Card is updated with the latest Drivers obatained from
the manufacturer.
2. Run Windows Update.
3. Replace the CAT5 Cable.
4. Check the LAN Speed and Duplex Settings both on the Swith and the NIC,
Match with the same as the Switch settings.
--
Raghavendra.S

"Mark" wrote:

> Hi
> This is my setup. A W2K DC server running DNS and DHCP that also has
> Exchange and ISA server running on it. A seperate W2K file and print server.
> At the weekend, the file and print server crashed and had to be rebuilt and
> rejoined the domain. The only problem is now it appears to stop enabling
> connections to its shares intermittently and there are no error message
> unless I disable and then re-enable the network card at which point I get
> error 2504 and 2505 about being unable to bind to tcp/ip because of a
> computer on the network with the same name. There isnt! To try and resolve
> this issue so far, I have taken it out of the domain and rejoined it.
> Renamed it and given it a new IP but I am still getting the same problems.
> Reinstalled the protocols on the NIC. I cleared out any entries in DNS before
> I did these as well and I am not running WINS. I get the feeling Im missing
> something but Im not sure what!!
> Thanks for any help in advance
> Mark

mark

Thanks

I have eliminated the cable and windows update and both the switch and the
card are running at 1gb. I will check the drivers but I still think it is
strange that it hapened after the machine was rebuilt. I get the feeling
that the machine name or the NIC mac address maybe is registered somewhere
else but Im not sure where! I will try the driver tomorrow.
thanks
Mark

"Raghavendra.S" wrote:

> Here are few trouble shooting steps that i feel may solve your probelm.
>
> 1. Check if your LAN Card is updated with the latest Drivers obatained from
> the manufacturer.
> 2. Run Windows Update.
> 3. Replace the CAT5 Cable.
> 4. Check the LAN Speed and Duplex Settings both on the Swith and the NIC,
> Match with the same as the Switch settings.
> --
> Raghavendra.S
>

> "Mark" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > This is my setup. A W2K DC server running DNS and DHCP that also has
> > Exchange and ISA server running on it. A seperate W2K file and print server.
> > At the weekend, the file and print server crashed and had to be rebuilt and
> > rejoined the domain. The only problem is now it appears to stop enabling
> > connections to its shares intermittently and there are no error message
> > unless I disable and then re-enable the network card at which point I get
> > error 2504 and 2505 about being unable to bind to tcp/ip because of a
> > computer on the network with the same name. There isnt! To try and resolve
> > this issue so far, I have taken it out of the domain and rejoined it.
> > Renamed it and given it a new IP but I am still getting the same problems.
> > Reinstalled the protocols on the NIC. I cleared out any entries in DNS before
> > I did these as well and I am not running WINS. I get the feeling Im missing
> > something but Im not sure what!!
> > Thanks for any help in advance
> > Mark

One morething,

Disable any vitrual Network adapters present.
--
Raghavendra.S

"Mark" wrote:

> Thanks
>
> I have eliminated the cable and windows update and both the switch and the
> card are running at 1gb. I will check the drivers but I still think it is
> strange that it hapened after the machine was rebuilt. I get the feeling
> that the machine name or the NIC mac address maybe is registered somewhere
> else but Im not sure where! I will try the driver tomorrow.
> thanks
> Mark
>
> "Raghavendra.S" wrote:
>
> > Here are few trouble shooting steps that i feel may solve your probelm.
> >
> > 1. Check if your LAN Card is updated with the latest Drivers obatained from
> > the manufacturer.
> > 2. Run Windows Update.
> > 3. Replace the CAT5 Cable.
> > 4. Check the LAN Speed and Duplex Settings both on the Swith and the NIC,
> > Match with the same as the Switch settings.
> > --
> > Raghavendra.S
> >

> > "Mark" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > This is my setup. A W2K DC server running DNS and DHCP that also has
> > > Exchange and ISA server running on it. A seperate W2K file and print server.
> > > At the weekend, the file and print server crashed and had to be rebuilt and
> > > rejoined the domain. The only problem is now it appears to stop enabling
> > > connections to its shares intermittently and there are no error message
> > > unless I disable and then re-enable the network card at which point I get
> > > error 2504 and 2505 about being unable to bind to tcp/ip because of a
> > > computer on the network with the same name. There isnt! To try and resolve
> > > this issue so far, I have taken it out of the domain and rejoined it.
> > > Renamed it and given it a new IP but I am still getting the same problems.
> > > Reinstalled the protocols on the NIC. I cleared out any entries in DNS before
> > > I did these as well and I am not running WINS. I get the feeling Im missing
> > > something but Im not sure what!!
> > > Thanks for any help in advance
> > > Mark

I don't see any mention of removing the server from AD before the reinstall.
New install means new sid. Old sid and new sid wouldn't match.

Consider replacing the nic card.

mark

Thanks Joshua

I did delete the server from AD before rejoining the domain and I have a NIC
on order so that will hopefully solve it>
thanks
Mark