How reduce number items listed 'start menu'

Every miniscule freeware program I add to my disk automatically augments the
start menu. Even when a program offers the choice omission from that
over-populated morass, I am reluctant, because nowhere can I find
documentation on how to initiate a program "off menu."

If I right click on a start menu shortcut to a program or a directory (NOT
the *pinned* items, they're under control), and delete the aliases of
programs and directories, a) how do I start the unlisted programs; is
Explorer the only way, or is even Explorer somehow dependent on the Massive
Menu; and b) how do I get some alternative list of the programs on my
computer.

I can't be the only one. I have a 19 inch lcd screen. What do people with
15-inch crts do when their start menus get too big?
5 answers Last reply
More about reduce number items listed start menu

    Create folders in the start menu. Name them appropriately. Stick the
    corresponding start menu items in their respective folders. So it would
    look something like this:
    START>

    ALL PROGRAMS>

    Photo Editing
    Productivity
    Multimedia
    Games
    Business
    Internet

    And so on. Each of the folders like "Photo Editing" would contain the
    various applications associated with photo editing, printing and
    manipulation.

    You get the idea.

    In news:6652D7A1-50E0-48CD-AC06-3BD15855B1E0@microsoft.com,
    srdiamond <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Every miniscule freeware program I add to my disk automatically
    > augments the start menu. Even when a program offers the choice
    > omission from that over-populated morass, I am reluctant,
    > because
    > nowhere can I find documentation on how to initiate a program
    > "off
    > menu."
    >
    > If I right click on a start menu shortcut to a program or a
    > directory
    > (NOT the *pinned* items, they're under control), and delete the
    > aliases of programs and directories, a) how do I start the
    > unlisted
    > programs; is Explorer the only way, or is even Explorer somehow
    > dependent on the Massive Menu; and b) how do I get some
    > alternative
    > list of the programs on my computer.
    >
    > I can't be the only one. I have a 19 inch lcd screen. What do
    > people
    > with 15-inch crts do when their start menus get too big?

    You have many choices for starting programs

    1. Directly double-click its exe file

    2. Set up a hot-key combination to start it

    3. Have a shortcut to it on Start | Programs and double-click
    that

    4. Have a shortcut to it on the desktop and double-click that

    5. Have a shortcut to it on any folder you want and double-click
    that

    One good choice that works well for many people is the last one
    above. For example, create a folder for shortcuts to your small
    downloaded programs. Then put a shortcut to that folder on Start
    | Programs, instead of the many shortcuts themselves.

    You can organize all your shortcuts this way.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    =?Utf-8?B?c3JkaWFtb25k?= <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Every miniscule freeware program I add to my disk automatically
    > augments the start menu. Even when a program offers the choice
    > omission from that over-populated morass, I am reluctant, because
    > nowhere can I find documentation on how to initiate a program "off
    > menu."
    >
    > If I right click on a start menu shortcut to a program or a directory
    > (NOT the *pinned* items, they're under control), and delete the
    > aliases of programs and directories, a) how do I start the unlisted
    > programs; is Explorer the only way, or is even Explorer somehow
    > dependent on the Massive Menu; and b) how do I get some alternative
    > list of the programs on my computer.
    >
    > I can't be the only one. I have a 19 inch lcd screen. What do people
    > with 15-inch crts do when their start menus get too big?

    Just as a note, 99% of the time, when an install program asks you if 'you
    want to add a shortcut to the startmenu', it really means....

    'do you want to add a shortcut to the top of the start menu so it will be
    immediately accessible from the start menu without having to navigate
    through the programs section of the start menu which is usually un-
    organized and a total mess because most people do not ever maintain the
    structure of it. a folder in the programs section of the start menu will
    still be created though.'

    start menu's are one thing that drive me nuts, and a full screen matrix of
    icons on the desktop also drives me nuts. i fix pc's all the time for
    people, and most of them are like that.

    These were all helpful answers. I opted to create a hierarchy of
    folders. The namesaking feature co-ordinating the display for various
    users is really very elegant. On the other hand, I was disappointed
    that after reorganizing the unpinned part of the start menu, the pinned
    shortcuts no longer worked; Windows, moreover, didn't even ask me if I
    wanted to try to re-establish the connection. You would think that
    Windows has been around long enough that it would have by now been
    imbued with the ability to decontexualize links, at least within its own
    domain, as with the start menu. (My term, 'decontexualize links'; I
    don't know how programmers refer to this ability.)

    Stephen Diamond

    Shenan Stanley wrote::

    >"c:\documents and settings\your username" and "c:\documents and
    >settings\all users" Then "\start menu".

    >Create SUB FOLDERS. Move and arrange as you see fit.

    >If you create a folder in the All Users\Start Menu with the same name
    >as one in the Your Usernam\Start Menu folder, you will only see that
    >folder once and all of each of its contents will look to be in the
    >same folder on the start menu.

    >Anything in the All Users\Start Menu folder will be available to ALL
    >users of your computer. Anything in the Your Username\Start Menu
    >folder, only YOUR user will see.

    Try downloading microsoft antispyware beta:

    When its done downloading open it and on the top right corner select
    Advanced Tools.
    Select System Explorers
    On the left tab select Startup Programs and there will be all the programs
    that startup with your computer. You can block or remove the ones you don't
    want to startup.

    "srdiamond" wrote:

    > Every miniscule freeware program I add to my disk automatically augments the
    > start menu. Even when a program offers the choice omission from that
    > over-populated morass, I am reluctant, because nowhere can I find
    > documentation on how to initiate a program "off menu."
    >
    > If I right click on a start menu shortcut to a program or a directory (NOT
    > the *pinned* items, they're under control), and delete the aliases of
    > programs and directories, a) how do I start the unlisted programs; is
    > Explorer the only way, or is even Explorer somehow dependent on the Massive
    > Menu; and b) how do I get some alternative list of the programs on my
    > computer.
    >
    > I can't be the only one. I have a 19 inch lcd screen. What do people with
    > 15-inch crts do when their start menus get too big?

Start Menu Windows XP