Sign in with
Your question

RAID with 2x WD Raptors or 2x 3gb/s WD/Seagate drives?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • NAS / RAID
  • Western Digital
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2007 3:57:29 AM

Hello All,
I am looking for fast load times, fast but "sorta" cheap.

I am building my first computer...eventually...I am trying to find a mother board I like I might just wait a few weeks to see what ASUS comes to offer with the commando and what Abit has to offer with the IN9 32X-Max.

Or I might go buy some currently board...I was going to get the EVGA 680i board but am hesitant due to problems that seem to be coming up.

Anyways back to the hard drives.

I am looking to set up a RAID 0 array for load speeds, I will put the OS and game/program files/photoshop files onto the RAID 0 array. I was just wondering if I should do 2 raptor drives, Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD (are these the "new" 74gb raptor drives???)

or 2 3gb/s drives like the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS

Is the raid 0 array with the Raptors faster then a 3gb/s array? And would a 3gb/s array show significant improvement over a single 3gb/s or raptor drive?

Also if you do RAID 0 that means I would have 148gb to fill if I use the Raptors?

Also I might consider getting 2x 3gb/s drives and put them in a RAID 5 array for photos.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Eddie

More about : raid raptors 3gb seagate drives

January 4, 2007 7:50:02 AM

Hi Eddie,

I tried a RAID array with 2 WD Raptors at one time and wasn't too satisfied with it. Yeah, throughput was twice as big, but so were seek times! Meaning: you gain one side but lose on the other. My perception of my computer wasn't one of increased speed, but of less efficiency because seek times were much longer. BTW, also remember that mounting your OS on the RAID array will make your data less secure, since you're adding another layer of complexity to your configuration.

My advice:

If you want a Raid array, get one but use it for your video capture drive...or some other good use. However, mount your OS on a single - and very fast - HDD. Believe me, you'll be best served in that way.
January 4, 2007 9:42:00 AM

The Raptors you list are SATAI(1.5G/s), and will only offer bragging rights over more current drives. "I've got Raptors in RAID0."

Might I suggest the RE series from WD. Near Line drives that are designed for 24/7 operation with 16M cache and 1000000 hours MTBF. You can get 2x160's for the price of one Raptor. They will run at either 1.5 or 3G/s depending on a jumper and loads, video conversion, etc. are impressive.
Related resources
January 4, 2007 2:53:48 PM

Hi All, thank you for your very sage comments!

Yeah, the WD1600YS appear to very impressive drives, for no more than 60 some bucks! Heck, forget about RAID! I just want one to run my OS from...what a HDD!

Also folks, don't forget we are about to experience a tidal wave of change in the HDD industry. As many of you know, the HDD has been one of the bottlenecks of computing for a long time. Well that's all about to change!

Newer HDD's with a large flash component, plus the regular platter section, promise to make even the most expensive and fastest HDD's of today the lumbering beast of tomorrow, and not too long from now!

You might want to consider this when purchasing any HDD with a 5 year warranty.
January 4, 2007 6:00:38 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea when these flash memory
components will be available in retail HDDs?

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

Hi SupremeLaw, :D 

I read that some of the solid state/platter HDD's are being introduced in laptops with Windows Vista as we speak. However, it won't be long 'till the technology reaches the desktop and server market. As you know well, 5 years in the computer industry is like an entire lifetime and more!

Remember how 5 years ago many folks said 256 Mb of memory was more than adequate? Now many of us are using 2 Gb and wondering if we've got enough!

When folks realize the unrivaled performance of solid state/platter HDD's, few folks will find reasons not to switch over. Imagine that, having your OS load from flash memory? WOW !!!
January 4, 2007 6:59:09 PM

Im currently using to Rap's on a Nforce 4 SLI chipset (nVidia controller) and 2GB ram, and A64 3500, boots from cold in approx 20-30 seconds. The raps I have are the "old" 8mb cache 74GB. Im impressed with it.
January 4, 2007 9:58:49 PM

Hi SupremeLaw,

Yep, and not only faster and quieter, but they will also use less power and run cooler! Let me tell you, the folks running server farms won't be able to wait to get their hands on some of the newer HDD's Heck, just the savings on the Air Conditioning bill is enough to make their mouth water!

Yeah, it's been a slow crawl to eliminate the HDD bottleneck, but I can predict that seven to 10 years down the road computers are going to be incredibly fast! I don't know how far present platter technology will hold on, but there could be the day when most of our computing will be via solid state! Imagine that!
January 4, 2007 10:03:02 PM

Quote:
Lenovo employees pan the first gen, however:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5570

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

Hi SupremeLaw,

All new things come with growing pains! The fact is we ain't seen nothin' yet! In just a few years you won't be able to give away the fastest HDD you own, much less resell it!
!