STRANGE SQUARE CHARACTER IN WINDOWS EXPLORER PATH

I have found no information about this subject at all. PLEASE HELP,
reinstalling did not help.

ISSUE: Using windows explorer on windows 2000 proffessional, (up to date
/july, 2005) with FOLDER OPTION on, displays a message telling that the
folder/files you choose are NOT VALID, although you are actually seeing them.

The thing is that the message telling this displays an empty square
character in the path you are in

like:

c:\sth\sth2\SQUARE\sth else\anyfile

*Not the word "SQUARE" but the square character itself.

It is obvious that the path is not valid with a square in the middle, of
course, but it appears RANDOMLY.

Partial Solution: Close explorer. re-open it. But it will apper sooner or
later again.

Thanks anyone
3 answers Last reply
More about strange square character windows explorer path

    Sounds like some sort of corruption. It may be a carriage return or line
    feed char. After backup you can also run;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "pepepepito" wrote:
    |I have found no information about this subject at all. PLEASE HELP,
    | reinstalling did not help.
    |
    | ISSUE: Using windows explorer on windows 2000 proffessional, (up to date
    | /july, 2005) with FOLDER OPTION on, displays a message telling that the
    | folder/files you choose are NOT VALID, although you are actually seeing
    them.

    | The thing is that the message telling this displays an empty square
    | character in the path you are in
    |
    | like:
    |
    | c:\sth\sth2\SQUARE\sth else\anyfile
    |
    | *Not the word "SQUARE" but the square character itself.
    |
    | It is obvious that the path is not valid with a square in the middle, of
    | course, but it appears RANDOMLY.
    |
    | Partial Solution: Close explorer. re-open it. But it will apper sooner or
    | later again.
    |
    | Thanks anyone

    Hi Dave.

    It took me almost an year to reach to some sort of answer. Thank you. But
    today I looked for info as I never did and found this:

    http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-90700
    and
    http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/62056.html

    Thanks again hope it helps.- I have not tried it yet.

    HERNAN

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Sounds like some sort of corruption. It may be a carriage return or line
    > feed char. After backup you can also run;
    > chkdsk /r
    > from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )
    >
    > To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    > Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    > floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    > use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    > the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    > installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    > Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    > the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    > computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    > Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    > or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    > in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    > access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    > and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    > you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    > disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    > root, %systemroot% or %windir%
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "pepepepito" wrote:
    > |I have found no information about this subject at all. PLEASE HELP,
    > | reinstalling did not help.
    > |
    > | ISSUE: Using windows explorer on windows 2000 proffessional, (up to date
    > | /july, 2005) with FOLDER OPTION on, displays a message telling that the
    > | folder/files you choose are NOT VALID, although you are actually seeing
    > them.
    > |
    > | The thing is that the message telling this displays an empty square
    > | character in the path you are in
    > |
    > | like:
    > |
    > | c:\sth\sth2\SQUARE\sth else\anyfile
    > |
    > | *Not the word "SQUARE" but the square character itself.
    > |
    > | It is obvious that the path is not valid with a square in the middle, of
    > | course, but it appears RANDOMLY.
    > |
    > | Partial Solution: Close explorer. re-open it. But it will apper sooner or
    > | later again.
    > |
    > | Thanks anyone

    This really doesn't sound to me like a desktop heap problem. Sounds more
    like file system corruption. Whether it's caused by a virus and or malware
    or other remains to be seen.

    --

    "pepepepito" wrote:
    | Hi Dave.
    |
    | It took me almost an year to reach to some sort of answer. Thank you. But
    | today I looked for info as I never did and found this:
    |
    | http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-90700
    | and
    | http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/62056.html
    |
    | Thanks again hope it helps.- I have not tried it yet.
    |

    | HERNAN

Windows Explorer Displays Windows