W2k3 in w2k Domain

Nik

Hey Guys,
I have a W2K domain based network. I now want to add a W2K3 server as a
backup. I'm expecting my W2K3 server to be able to do replication of file
services and Active Directory, so if my W2K Server goes down the W2K3 Server
can take over. Any suggestion would be welcome.
Thanks
Nik

You can introduce a Windows 2003 domain controller into a 2000 domain without issue. You must keep the functional level at Windows
2000 (mixed or native). You should have all your servers on 2K SP3 or, preferably SP4. Note that many of the Server 2003
enhancements are not available until you have a native mode 2003 domain.

Also you need to make absolutely sure that your domain/forest are running "clean" -- without DNS errors, replication faliures, etc.
You MUST fix any of these sorts of problems before you start this (netdiag and dcdiag are the main tools to verify). And of course
you MUST have a solid backup of server state and active directory.

You must also run the 2003 adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep to upgrade your active directory schema to accomodate 2003
Server. These should be done from the schema and infrastructure FSMO master role holder servers respectively. Each must be allowed
to replicate fully and successfully before proceeding.

If you have Exchange or a multi-domain forest then there are more complex considerations and you really need to do some reading.

This article explains domain & forest functional levels:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx

This one gives some elaboration on 2003 Server in a 2000 domain

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379

HTH

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Nik" <nalleyne(don't use)@webworksgy.com> wrote in message news:uCkLO4lhFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hey Guys,
> I have a W2K domain based network. I now want to add a W2K3 server as a backup. I'm expecting my W2K3 server to be able to do
> replication of file services and Active Directory, so if my W2K Server goes down the W2K3 Server can take over. Any suggestion
> would be welcome.
> Thanks
> Nik

Nik

Thanks Steve,
I will work from here.
Nik

"Steve Duff [MVP]" <ergodic@ergodic-systems.com> wrote in message
> You can introduce a Windows 2003 domain controller into a 2000 domain
> without issue. You must keep the functional level at Windows 2000 (mixed
> or native). You should have all your servers on 2K SP3 or, preferably SP4.
> Note that many of the Server 2003 enhancements are not available until you
> have a native mode 2003 domain.
>
> Also you need to make absolutely sure that your domain/forest are running
> "clean" -- without DNS errors, replication faliures, etc. You MUST fix
> any of these sorts of problems before you start this (netdiag and dcdiag
> are the main tools to verify). And of course you MUST have a solid backup
> of server state and active directory.
>
> You must also run the 2003 adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep
> to upgrade your active directory schema to accomodate 2003 Server. These
> should be done from the schema and infrastructure FSMO master role holder
> servers respectively. Each must be allowed to replicate fully and
> successfully before proceeding.
>
> If you have Exchange or a multi-domain forest then there are more complex
> considerations and you really need to do some reading.
>
> This article explains domain & forest functional levels:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
>
> This one gives some elaboration on 2003 Server in a 2000 domain
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379
>
> HTH
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "Nik" <nalleyne(don't use)@webworksgy.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Guys,
>> I have a W2K domain based network. I now want to add a W2K3 server as a
>> backup. I'm expecting my W2K3 server to be able to do replication of file
>> services and Active Directory, so if my W2K Server goes down the W2K3
>> Server can take over. Any suggestion would be welcome.
>> Thanks
>> Nik

Nik

Steve,
I did everyting that I was suppose to do now when I try to run adprep
/forestprep, I'm getting the following errors. But I'm logged in as a member
of Domain Admin, Enterprise Admin, Administrator, Schema Admin and still I
cannot get through. Below is the error.

" Adprep was unable to upgrade the schema on the schema master.
[Status/Consequence]
The schema will not be restored to its original state.
[User Action]
Check the Ldif.err log file in the
C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20050712145711 directory for detailed
information.
Adprep set the value of registry key
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema Update Allowed to 1

Adprep was unable to update forest-wide information.
[Status/Consequence]
Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema
master in order to complete this operation.
[User Action]
Check the log file, Adprep.log, in the
C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20050712145711 directory for more
information.
"
Can you see what is wrong from this.

Thanks
Nik

"Steve Duff [MVP]" <ergodic@ergodic-systems.com> wrote in message
> You can introduce a Windows 2003 domain controller into a 2000 domain
> without issue. You must keep the functional level at Windows 2000 (mixed
> or native). You should have all your servers on 2K SP3 or, preferably SP4.
> Note that many of the Server 2003 enhancements are not available until you
> have a native mode 2003 domain.
>
> Also you need to make absolutely sure that your domain/forest are running
> "clean" -- without DNS errors, replication faliures, etc. You MUST fix
> any of these sorts of problems before you start this (netdiag and dcdiag
> are the main tools to verify). And of course you MUST have a solid backup
> of server state and active directory.
>
> You must also run the 2003 adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep
> to upgrade your active directory schema to accomodate 2003 Server. These
> should be done from the schema and infrastructure FSMO master role holder
> servers respectively. Each must be allowed to replicate fully and
> successfully before proceeding.
>
> If you have Exchange or a multi-domain forest then there are more complex
> considerations and you really need to do some reading.
>
> This article explains domain & forest functional levels:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/b3674c9b-fab9-4c1e-a8f6-787126471271.mspx
>
> This one gives some elaboration on 2003 Server in a 2000 domain
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379
>
> HTH
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "Nik" <nalleyne(don't use)@webworksgy.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Guys,
>> I have a W2K domain based network. I now want to add a W2K3 server as a
>> backup. I'm expecting my W2K3 server to be able to do replication of file
>> services and Active Directory, so if my W2K Server goes down the W2K3
>> Server can take over. Any suggestion would be welcome.
>> Thanks
>> Nik

TRENDING THREADS