Adprep Query

J-UNIT

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005

I am installing 2 new servers one of which will take over the Domain
Controller duties from my current Windows 2000 server.

I wondered if it is ok to run Adprep /forestprep /domainprep on the Windows
2000 Server with my users logged on the domain. I know it would be wise to
have all users off the system while preparing the WIN2K Server for Migration
to Server 2003 however I am really restricted in terms of time and would
prefer to do much of the preparatory work while users are logged in.

Probably not recommended, but I've done it. AFAIK the preps just extend and verify the schema which shouldn't really disturb much of
anything. If Exchange is running on the server that might be a different story.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.