3com homeconnect vs Philips Toucam Pro II

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 26, 2005 9:29:38 PM

I have both of them. Here are my observations:

3com

advantages:
excellent low light sensitivity
sharp and clear noise free picture
wider angle than Philips
optional lens kit (wide angle, closeup and telephoto)
USB cable can be detached from the camera
sturdier build
can be mounted at 90 degrees
quite cheap on ebay

disadvantages:
some issues with MSN messenger (solvable) and ICQ on XP, but works fine
on w2k
probably will not be supported in the future versions of windows
lower frame rate than philips

Philips

advantages:
faster frame rate
good low light sensitivity, but much worse than 3com

disadvantages:
not so sharp picture
noisier
some flickering
narrow angle
build quality is not very good

3com is the clear winner. Frame rate and software compatibilty can be
solved by buying new (but expensive) version of the camera called
Watchport/V2 from IO Networks. Philips also has a new camera SPC900NC
as well, with wider angle and higher frame rate.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:11:43 AM

I have Philips 840K. You'd better go and get Watchport/V2.

puns wrote:
> I also have the 3ComHomeCconnect with the extra lenses & the philips Toucam
> 740K.......I prefere the philips over the 3Com. I tried using the 3Com
> lenses on the philips but it throws the colors off. I wish i could get
> another philips 740K or an 840K in the ststes.The 840K prices in the ststes
> are too high.
>

> "yugi" <yuri123@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have both of them. Here are my observations:
> >
> > 3com
> >
> > advantages:
> > excellent low light sensitivity
> > sharp and clear noise free picture
> > wider angle than Philips
> > optional lens kit (wide angle, closeup and telephoto)
> > USB cable can be detached from the camera
> > sturdier build
> > can be mounted at 90 degrees
> > quite cheap on ebay
> >
> > disadvantages:
> > some issues with MSN messenger (solvable) and ICQ on XP, but works fine
> > on w2k
> > probably will not be supported in the future versions of windows
> > lower frame rate than philips
> >
> > Philips
> >
> > advantages:
> > faster frame rate
> > good low light sensitivity, but much worse than 3com
> >
> > disadvantages:
> > not so sharp picture
> > noisier
> > some flickering
> > narrow angle
> > build quality is not very good
> >
> > 3com is the clear winner. Frame rate and software compatibilty can be
> > solved by buying new (but expensive) version of the camera called
> > Watchport/V2 from IO Networks. Philips also has a new camera SPC900NC
> > as well, with wider angle and higher frame rate.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 6:31:26 AM

I also have the 3ComHomeCconnect with the extra lenses & the philips Toucam
740K.......I prefere the philips over the 3Com. I tried using the 3Com
lenses on the philips but it throws the colors off. I wish i could get
another philips 740K or an 840K in the ststes.The 840K prices in the ststes
are too high.

"yugi" <yuri123@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have both of them. Here are my observations:
>
> 3com
>
> advantages:
> excellent low light sensitivity
> sharp and clear noise free picture
> wider angle than Philips
> optional lens kit (wide angle, closeup and telephoto)
> USB cable can be detached from the camera
> sturdier build
> can be mounted at 90 degrees
> quite cheap on ebay
>
> disadvantages:
> some issues with MSN messenger (solvable) and ICQ on XP, but works fine
> on w2k
> probably will not be supported in the future versions of windows
> lower frame rate than philips
>
> Philips
>
> advantages:
> faster frame rate
> good low light sensitivity, but much worse than 3com
>
> disadvantages:
> not so sharp picture
> noisier
> some flickering
> narrow angle
> build quality is not very good
>
> 3com is the clear winner. Frame rate and software compatibilty can be
> solved by buying new (but expensive) version of the camera called
> Watchport/V2 from IO Networks. Philips also has a new camera SPC900NC
> as well, with wider angle and higher frame rate.

September 27, 2005 7:34:03 AM

i h ave to agree with your review yugi.

>I have Philips 840K. You'd better go and get Watchport/V2.
>
> puns wrote:
>> I also have the 3ComHomeCconnect with the extra lenses & the philips
>> Toucam
>> 740K.......I prefere the philips over the 3Com. I tried using the 3Com
>> lenses on the philips but it throws the colors off. I wish i could get
>> another philips 740K or an 840K in the ststes.The 840K prices in the
>> ststes
>> are too high.
>>

>> "yugi" <yuri123@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have both of them. Here are my observations:
>> >
>> > 3com
>> >
>> > advantages:
>> > excellent low light sensitivity
>> > sharp and clear noise free picture
>> > wider angle than Philips
>> > optional lens kit (wide angle, closeup and telephoto)
>> > USB cable can be detached from the camera
>> > sturdier build
>> > can be mounted at 90 degrees
>> > quite cheap on ebay
>> >
>> > disadvantages:
>> > some issues with MSN messenger (solvable) and ICQ on XP, but works fine
>> > on w2k
>> > probably will not be supported in the future versions of windows
>> > lower frame rate than philips
>> >
>> > Philips
>> >
>> > advantages:
>> > faster frame rate
>> > good low light sensitivity, but much worse than 3com
>> >
>> > disadvantages:
>> > not so sharp picture
>> > noisier
>> > some flickering
>> > narrow angle
>> > build quality is not very good
>> >
>> > 3com is the clear winner. Frame rate and software compatibilty can be
>> > solved by buying new (but expensive) version of the camera called
>> > Watchport/V2 from IO Networks. Philips also has a new camera SPC900NC
>> > as well, with wider angle and higher frame rate.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 7:55:31 AM

In reference to video conferencing, what advantages does the Watchport/V2
have over the 3Com?

"yugi" <yuri123@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Philips 840K. You'd better go and get Watchport/V2.
>
> puns wrote:
>> I also have the 3ComHomeCconnect with the extra lenses & the philips
>> Toucam
>> 740K.......I prefere the philips over the 3Com. I tried using the 3Com
>> lenses on the philips but it throws the colors off. I wish i could get
>> another philips 740K or an 840K in the ststes.The 840K prices in the
>> ststes
>> are too high.
>>

>> "yugi" <yuri123@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have both of them. Here are my observations:
>> >
>> > 3com
>> >
>> > advantages:
>> > excellent low light sensitivity
>> > sharp and clear noise free picture
>> > wider angle than Philips
>> > optional lens kit (wide angle, closeup and telephoto)
>> > USB cable can be detached from the camera
>> > sturdier build
>> > can be mounted at 90 degrees
>> > quite cheap on ebay
>> >
>> > disadvantages:
>> > some issues with MSN messenger (solvable) and ICQ on XP, but works fine
>> > on w2k
>> > probably will not be supported in the future versions of windows
>> > lower frame rate than philips
>> >
>> > Philips
>> >
>> > advantages:
>> > faster frame rate
>> > good low light sensitivity, but much worse than 3com
>> >
>> > disadvantages:
>> > not so sharp picture
>> > noisier
>> > some flickering
>> > narrow angle
>> > build quality is not very good
>> >
>> > 3com is the clear winner. Frame rate and software compatibilty can be
>> > solved by buying new (but expensive) version of the camera called
>> > Watchport/V2 from IO Networks. Philips also has a new camera SPC900NC
>> > as well, with wider angle and higher frame rate.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 8:36:04 AM

It has higher frame rate and up-to-date drivers.

!