OFFLINE SYNCHRONIZATION???

I have a notebook with XP pro networked to a desktop with XP pro. I enabled
offline files and then made a directory available offline. The directory had
800 files in 50 subfolders. I was hoping that they'd all wind up in mirrored
subdirectories, but instead all the files wound up in the single offline
files folder. Is there a way to mirror the directory structure and have that
automatically synchronized over time as I add and delete subfolders in each
of the computers?

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: BRIEFCASE , and hit enter.
3. Click on: "Synchronize files on connected computers using Briefcase".

How To Use the Briefcase Feature in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307885

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"SpamDumpster" wrote:

| I have a notebook with XP pro networked to a desktop with XP pro. I enabled
| offline files and then made a directory available offline. The directory had
| 800 files in 50 subfolders. I was hoping that they'd all wind up in mirrored
| subdirectories, but instead all the files wound up in the single offline
| files folder. Is there a way to mirror the directory structure and have that
| automatically synchronized over time as I add and delete subfolders in each
| of the computers?

That's closer but briefcase doesn't synchronize subfolders either... I mean
that if I add or delete a subfolder the added subfolder doesn't get picked up
and the deleted subfolder's files go away, but the folder doesn't.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> 2. In the Search box type: BRIEFCASE , and hit enter.
> 3. Click on: "Synchronize files on connected computers using Briefcase".
>
> How To Use the Briefcase Feature in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307885
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "SpamDumpster" wrote:
>
> | I have a notebook with XP pro networked to a desktop with XP pro. I enabled
> | offline files and then made a directory available offline. The directory had
> | 800 files in 50 subfolders. I was hoping that they'd all wind up in mirrored
> | subdirectories, but instead all the files wound up in the single offline
> | files folder. Is there a way to mirror the directory structure and have that
> | automatically synchronized over time as I add and delete subfolders in each
> | of the computers?

AHHA!!!!!

Ignore the desktop offline files folder. It only appears there that all fhe
files are in one directory. Once the computers are disconnected, the network
drive folder still shows all of the offline files in their normal
subdirectory locations. Everything works as expected and the only that that
can't happen is that the remote/offline computer doesn't allow deletion of
directories when not connected. Any other creations/deletions are allowed and
synchronized.