int3rsc0p3

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Hey guys,

I have a intel pentium 4 prescott that has been too hot to handle, literally. It's been running at about 77C and just peaked to 90C a couple minutes ago. I've got a brand new Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on the way and also a Vantec Stealth fan.

Currently, I have the stock HSF, and 1 case fan in the back.

Is there anything I can do to cool down the CPU?

Thanks.

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I used to have a 650 Prescott right before I got my new rig. I had it for a year and never had the stock heatsink on it but had a Zalman 7700 120mm and it ran at about 38c so hopefully your arctic Cooler will do the same justice which I'm sure it will do good I happen to have one now because my Zalman is still on my prescott rig. Good luck oh and on the bottom of you Arctic Cooler just use the paste on there thats already pre applied and make sure you clean the cpu of real good. Static is not your friend

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
What type of case do you have?

An intake fan at the front, if you can fit one, would increase cool air flow into the case as well as help cool hard drives.

Does your case have any vents on the side to which you could mount a fan on?

I use a Arctic Cooler 7 on a P4 640 which runs at 39C - Summer ambient temperatures.

int3rsc0p3

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
The front of my case is pretty limited, I have a media reader on the front. Would it be good to mount an intake on the side? Or have an exhaust?

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
If you can mount a fan on the side, make sure it is an intake as it will not only provide increased cool air to the cpu but depending on its position and size cool other components a well.

What case do you have?

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I have 2 systems - A Prescot 3.2P4 (Socket 478) which I let the wife and kids use; and my signature block system. The Prescot always ran hot, and even with the Zalman 9500 HSF - is hotter than I like - Idle around 52C. This was much better than the stock HSF for the prescot. The Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 is a very, very nice HS for the price (Use the thermal pad that comes with this HS).

One thing I was able to do to help out my situation was to cut in a blow hole for a 92mm fan on the top of the case. It helps, but it is noisy.

If you plan on keeping your system, you may want to consider getting a new case with a solid airflow - such as 2-120mm fans (one intake, one exhaust). If you select somthing like the P180 from Antec, you may need to get an extendor for the MB power cable - as many power suplies do not have long enough cables for this solution.

For what it's worth - I am considering moving the prescot system into a second P180 - as I really like this case. The thermal zones may just get that prescot into a reasonable temperature range.

Good Luck.

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm it shoudln't be getting that hot. It would be throttling like a mofo running super slow. Are you sure were talking C and not F ? What program are you using to monitor temps?

Download a program called throttlewatch.
http://www.techspot.com/download400.html

Here is a before and after on a bad hsf on my prescott 560. Notice the throttling when the cpu hit 70+ degrees. It will actually start sending idle commands to the cpu to keep the temp from going up anymore.

Before.
doh.jpg

After reinstall.
doh1.jpg