Login Loop

Hi Gang!

Odd problem. When attempting to login to my Windows 2000 Server, it seems
to loop. That is, you press ctrl-alt-del, enter the password, hit enter and
it looks like everything is going to be fine. However, after a minute, it
just comes back to the login screen. No error reported etc.

We have been able to get it to work a couple of times by either logging into
Safe Mode and then restarting it, but that is not a 100% fix either. I have
done a search on this and found a couple of other people having this same
issue with no resolutions.

Any suggestions?

In news:C67A12EB-B404-49AD-B771-240BA42F77BB@microsoft.com,
Grim Tavis <Grim Tavis@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi Gang!
>
> Odd problem. When attempting to login to my Windows 2000 Server, it
> seems to loop. That is, you press ctrl-alt-del, enter the password,
> hit enter and it looks like everything is going to be fine. However,
> after a minute, it just comes back to the login screen. No error
> reported etc.
>
> We have been able to get it to work a couple of times by either
> logging into Safe Mode and then restarting it, but that is not a 100%
> fix either. I have done a search on this and found a couple of other
> people having this same issue with no resolutions.
>
> Any suggestions?

When you were able to get in, did you check the event logs?
Can you remotely connect to the event logs now?

> When you were able to get in, did you check the event logs?
> Can you remotely connect to the event logs now?

The event logs show many errors saying that:

I have not changed any paths/drives etc. so I am not sure what that is
indicating.

In news:D603F871-DE16-44A0-B701-7D719273A8AD@microsoft.com,
Grim Tavis <GrimTavis@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>> When you were able to get in, did you check the event logs?
>> Can you remotely connect to the event logs now?
>
> The event logs show many errors saying that:
> The system cannot find the path specified.

Event ID would help.
www.eventid.net might help more.

> I have not changed any paths/drives etc. so I am not sure what that is
> indicating.

Nor am I - but post back.