Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
i have 2 drives;
one 120 GB and one 300 GB
the 120GB drive has all my stuff on it, the 300 GB is currently empty
the 120GB hold a partition of 80 GB with my music
the other 40 GB is OS and other non important stuff

so, i want to use the 300 GB drive for movies, swap & temp drive
also i would like to have a hidden mirrorred partition of my 80 GB music partition, which gets updated when i turn off my PC.
so kind of a semi-software "raid" on one partition
the other 220GB should still be usable for other data (non important)

possible? or manual driveimage copy weekly

i know, i should get another 300GB drive for a raid 1 to get real protection, so please don't tell me that, i know alright?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Since your looking specifically to achieve data redundancy here, I would look into a raid 1. There are way to sync the way you wish via software and partitions, but I would suggest another drive Raided with a backup utility on your main drive taking deltas every night or so.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
i know, i should get another 300GB drive for a raid 1 to get real protection, so please don't tell me that, i know alright?

Since your looking specifically to achieve data redundancy here, I would look into a raid 1

Wow, attention spans are short these days.

Stay clear of software raid in this case. Since the 300GB drive is being used for backup purposes you could loose everything do to software raid compatibility if you try to move this drive to another system later on.

go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe
-you can schedule windows backup to grab a copy of anything you want and have it move those files to your 300GB drive on a daily basis.
-you can also have it do this backup on an incremental basis so it only grabs the changes since the last backup which will speed the process up considerably.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Microsoft Synctool should do what you want.

Create a separate partition on the 300gb drive. it won't be a "hidden" partition, but then you don't want it to be, if it was you wouldn't be able to write to it.

Set MS Synctool to copy the files across and make it run automagically. All very easy.