Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does W2K server run on 64bit processors?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:13:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi,

I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the Intel
Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that has
worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?

Thanks,

Thijs
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:32:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi,

Check this out:

Overview of the compatibility considerations for 32-bit programs on 64-bit
versions of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896456

List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];282423

Memory Limitations of 64-bit Versions of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];283247

Comparison of 32-bit and 64-bit memory architecture for 64-bit editions of
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];294418

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];298218

64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit
processes, or 16-bit applications
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896458

Lukesh

"Thijs Kromhout" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the Intel
> Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that has
> worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thijs
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

hi ;

you say like,run w2k server on 64 bit processor and install 32 bit program.
but purpose 64bit proc.,better performance,better ram use



"Thijs Kromhout" <ThijsKromhout@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide þunu
yazdý news:9780AAEA-959F-421C-B1F2-19C385F61FCE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
Intel
> Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
has
> worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thijs
Related resources
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi Erdem_Y

Yes, my question is: does W2K server run on a 64bit processor. While its
"design" was a 32 bit processor right? And if it runs on that (regardsless of
better performance/ram use/etc) can you still install "old" programs?

Thanks,

Thijs

"Erdem_Y" wrote:

> hi ;
>
> you say like,run w2k server on 64 bit processor and install 32 bit program.
> but purpose 64bit proc.,better performance,better ram use
>
>
>
> "Thijs Kromhout" <ThijsKromhout@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide þunu
> yazdý news:9780AAEA-959F-421C-B1F2-19C385F61FCE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
> Intel
> > Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
> has
> > worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Thijs
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:14:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

very little information on the web about W2K Advanced Server Limited
Edition. (the only W2K version for 64bit computing) - probably because it
was available only from OEMs
http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=535...


--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Free Windows event logs reports
http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/


"lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3B2AD2AD-0D9C-4F5E-8E8A-B7EB6D306000@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Check this out:
>
> Overview of the compatibility considerations for 32-bit programs on 64-bit
> versions of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896456
>
> List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];282423
>
> Memory Limitations of 64-bit Versions of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];283247
>
> Comparison of 32-bit and 64-bit memory architecture for 64-bit editions of
> Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];294418
>
> Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];298218
>
> 64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit
> processes, or 16-bit applications
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896458
>
> Lukesh
>
> "Thijs Kromhout" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
>> Intel
>> Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
>> has
>> worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thijs
!