Does W2K server run on 64bit processors?

Hi,

I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the Intel
Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that has
worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?

Thanks,

Thijs
4 answers Last reply
More about does server 64bit processors

    Hi,

    Check this out:

    Overview of the compatibility considerations for 32-bit programs on 64-bit
    versions of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896456

    List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];282423

    Memory Limitations of 64-bit Versions of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];283247

    Comparison of 32-bit and 64-bit memory architecture for 64-bit editions of
    Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];294418

    Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];298218

    64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit
    processes, or 16-bit applications
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896458

    Lukesh

    "Thijs Kromhout" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the Intel
    > Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that has
    > worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Thijs

    hi ;

    you say like,run w2k server on 64 bit processor and install 32 bit program.
    but purpose 64bit proc.,better performance,better ram use

    "Thijs Kromhout" <ThijsKromhout@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide þunu
    yazdý news:9780AAEA-959F-421C-B1F2-19C385F61FCE@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
    Intel
    > Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
    has
    > worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Thijs

    Hi Erdem_Y

    Yes, my question is: does W2K server run on a 64bit processor. While its
    "design" was a 32 bit processor right? And if it runs on that (regardsless of
    better performance/ram use/etc) can you still install "old" programs?

    Thanks,

    Thijs

    "Erdem_Y" wrote:

    > hi ;
    >
    > you say like,run w2k server on 64 bit processor and install 32 bit program.
    > but purpose 64bit proc.,better performance,better ram use
    >

    > "Thijs Kromhout" <ThijsKromhout@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide þunu
    > yazdý news:9780AAEA-959F-421C-B1F2-19C385F61FCE@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
    > Intel
    > > Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
    > has
    > > worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Thijs

    very little information on the web about W2K Advanced Server Limited
    Edition. (the only W2K version for 64bit computing) - probably because it
    was available only from OEMs
    http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5354

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Check this out:
    >
    > Overview of the compatibility considerations for 32-bit programs on 64-bit
    > versions of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896456
    >
    > List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];282423
    >
    > Memory Limitations of 64-bit Versions of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];283247
    >
    > Comparison of 32-bit and 64-bit memory architecture for 64-bit editions of
    > Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];294418
    >
    > Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];298218
    >
    > 64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit
    > processes, or 16-bit applications
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];896458
    >
    > Lukesh
    >
    > "Thijs Kromhout" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I want to know wether W2K Server can run on 64bit processors like the
    >> Intel
    >> Itanium ones? And if so, can you install any program on that server that
    >> has
    >> worked before on a normal 32 bit processor?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Thijs

Servers Microsoft Processors Windows