? software for audio and perodic B&W pic via low bandwidth ?

Can anyone suggest web cam software that offers low end audio and the
ability every 30+ seconds to transmit a small, low res, black and
while picture ..... all of which will work at dial up speeds?

My family urgently needs to "monitor" my mom. She must spend the next
several weeks (life threatening infection) in a specialized long term
care facilty that is a long drive away from the closest family
members. The facility will not let us use the room phone but did
approve the use of a cell phone. We can dedicate a labtop, webcam and
a GPRS cell phone with web access at "dial up" speed to the cause.
Yesterday I verified I 45+ bps web access from her bedside.

Her "will to live" is a huge aspect of her recovery. If she realizes
that we can see and hear her (from our phone comments) then I think
her determination to make it through will be greatly increased. Too,
we hope to get Dad a laptop so he too can take comfort in her
"presence".

Your suggestions and comments are !! deeply !! appreciated!

try LogiSphere: http://logisphere.seiz.ch

> My family urgently needs to "monitor" my mom. She must spend the next
> several weeks (life threatening infection) in a specialized long term
> care facilty that is a long drive away from the closest family
> members. The facility will not let us use the room phone but did
> approve the use of a cell phone. We can dedicate a labtop, webcam and
> a GPRS cell phone with web access at "dial up" speed to the cause.
> Yesterday I verified I 45+ bps web access from her bedside.
good idea - would be neat if you could connect to the facility network

you can choose a profile for WMV streaming. Choosing a low bandwidth
profile you will be able to transmit the stream using the cell phone.

LogiSphere supports black and white - just set the cam driver to bw

use ftp upload to store the picture anywhere in regular intervals
optional motion detection will upload picture with
the most motion within the given interval

supports local save and replay (not so useful in your case)

free download here: http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/