Pre login windows 2000 display settings

Ok, I USED to know how to set this years ago, but it’s been so long
since I’ve been out of the desktop arena that I’ve forgotten.

I’ve got a user on a shared machine that has somehow managed to
reset all the display settings to a horrid background and this really
funky redish color scheme. So every time this PC boots it’s got it
on there. Once a actual user logs in it sets all the display settings
to that user correctly. However, one of my users has complained that
they don’t like the initial, pre - login, display settings. How do
I change the pre login display settings back to some other color /
scheme?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Pre-login-windows-2000-display-settings-ftopict395369.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1302680

Turn OFF Active Desktop and THEN change the undesired scheme to
something else.

"wolfwyndd" wrote:
> Ok, I USED to know how to set this years ago, but it's been so
> long since I've been out of the desktop arena that I've
> forgotten.
>
> I've got a user on a shared machine that has somehow managed
> to reset all the display settings to a horrid background and
> this really funky redish color scheme. So every time this PC
> boots it's got it on there. Once a actual user logs in it
> sets all the display settings to that user correctly.
> However, one of my users has complained that they don't like
> the initial, pre - login, display settings. How do I change
> the pre login display settings back to some other color /
> scheme?

Oh yeah. Forgot to post that I deleted and recreated the Default User
directory under Documents and Settings.

"Bob I" wrote:
>Turn OFF Active Desktop and THEN change the undesired scheme to
>something else.

You have to be logged on to turn off Active Desktop. These colors
were coming up BEFORE anyone would log on. Once a user (any user)
would log on, their own personal display settings would appear.

Although with enough searching the internet and poking around on my
own machine, I figure out how they did it.

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl Panel

All those settings under there are settings that are set as default
settings before anyone logs in.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Pre-login-windows-2000-display-settings-ftopict395369.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1303253