Backup Power Supplies that would keep 5 servers running

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I am looking for a UPS that would keep 5 servers running for at least an hour after a power failure. If anyone has any experiance with UPS's and could give me some advise on which brands and models that would sustain that kind of load, it would be much apprecaited.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If you don't mind spending $3K+, go with the APC Symmetra line. This is what we use and these UPS have been dependable...

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
If you don't mind spending $3K+, go with the APC Symmetra line. This is what we use and these UPS have been dependable...

Price is not an issue, this product seems to be exactly what we need. If you have any more recommendations I'm all ears. Thanks for the imput!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If it's criticle service you may consider adding backup generators too. Just because your server has a backup source, how are you going to cool them?

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
we already have one... our company makes generators as a business so we have that covered all we need is a ups to keep the servers live until the generators kick in.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have a generator you should only need a few minutes worth of UPS time. Especially if it is auto starting.
Another UPS to consider for long runtimes is a Powerware Ferrups. I have a Powerware Ferrups Tower UPS at work. It is running at 6kVA load right now and it lasts around 50 minutes. When it was new it lasted well over an hr, it is about 5-6 years old now. We have frequent blackouts and no generator so the long uptime is very handy. I cant remember what kVA it is rated but I know they come up to 18kVA for that model. If you are fealing very crazy they do make models that are 750kVA+.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
You really haven't provided anywhere near enough information for people to be making recommendations. Voltage? Current draw of the equipment? Type of power connectors? Go to APC's website and use their calculator. It will ask you what you have and tell you what you need.

casach06

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I just did and I gave them a call. They were really helpful so I found a ups system that will work perfect. Thanks for the help all.